DxDDP: Exactly how do you share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
My DH is not exactly on-board with the sharing credits thing...he thinks it sounds complicated.

Its probably is a little more complicated being an odd number party, but I really tried to choose the best restaurants for sharing so he won't be a grump.

I really think this plan is going to work for us, because my DH barely eats dessert and I'm allowing 3 credits for 5 of us, so there's some flexibility.

DD and her bf said they have no prob sharing down the middle and they do it all the time. (credit #1)

I told DH he can always order an entree and beverage, and if we were paying OOP that's all he'd be getting, so just hush! lol (partial credit #2)

Leaving DD16 and I with 2 apps, 1 entree, 2 desserts, and 1 specialty bev (wine for me!)
(remainder of credit #2 and credit #3).
Honestly, we will probs give 1 of our desserts away to DD and her bf. I can easily eat 2 apps as my meal if DD wants the entree to herself.

And I just ask the server to bring extra plates where needed, correct?

Is this how other people do this?????

Thanks all.

I'm with your DH...sounds complicated! LOL

I assume you have 2 separate reservations and only have DXDP on one?

How many total credits will you have and how many total meals will you have?

When we shared the deluxe plan between 2 rooms, we had enough credits that most of the time all 4 of us ordered our own meals. We did split 3 meals between the 4 of us once. We mostly did it for the one sit down meal per day, with a couple of signature meals and a few days with 2 meals. We did a lot of buffet or all you care to eat places though. We did pay out of pocket for some quick service meals.

Your way would work as well. 6 credits per night would allow you to do the splitting 3 credits at 2 meals per day. We've done it kind of like this as well, splitting 3-4 credits per meal between 5, but we made it more family style and shared everything. It's not that complicated (for me anyway) and it's a great way to save money!

We've done it kind of like this as well, splitting 3-4 credits per meal between 5, but we made it more family style and shared everything. It's not that complicated (for me anyway) and it's a great way to save money!

I agree that ordering a few meals and sharing family style is not complicated at all, but trying to figure out who gets the apps, who gets dessert, drinks etc. like OP described....sounds like a headache (to me). I think most people "sharing" on DxDP do it the way you described, by using the credits for a few ADRs but each ordering their own meal.

We often just order items and put them in the middle of the table and we all share. We just ask for additional plates. This usually makes everyone happy as we get to try more items. Everyone always leaves full. Remember you have snack credits. I assume it is 3 people in 1 room and 2 people in the other room, so you will have 9 credits per night and 6 snack credits. Are you only doing 1 TS meals or are you planning on doing signature too. If you are planning 1 TS meals and only ordering 3 per meal then you would be having 3 sit down meals per day which is quite a few.

How many total credits will you have and how many total meals will you have?

When we shared the deluxe plan between 2 rooms, we had enough credits that most of the time all 4 of us ordered our own meals. We did split 3 meals between the 4 of us once. We mostly did it for the one sit down meal per day, with a couple of signature meals and a few days with 2 meals. We did a lot of buffet or all you care to eat places though. We did pay out of pocket for some quick service meals.

Your way would work as well. 6 credits per night would allow you to do the splitting 3 credits at 2 meals per day. We've done it kind of like this as well, splitting 3-4 credits per meal between 5, but we made it more family style and shared everything. It's not that complicated (for me anyway) and it's a great way to save money!

There are 5 of us and we only have 3 meals at restaurants that we can share.
App, Entree and dessert is honestly way too much for any 1 of us at most restaurants.

Basically my plan for 36 credits is at least 7 TS meals for a 6 day trip:

10 - Tiffins ROL
5 - Garden Grill
5 - Storybook Dining
5 - Ohana

? - Sci Fi
? - Skipper's Canteen
? - ESPN

I'm stretching 11 credits for 3 meals and have other meals planned and / or special events for these days.

I have enough credits to use up to 4 credits SC and Sci-Fi and up to 3 @ ESPN club where it is super easy to order apps as a meal -Nachos, wings, etc and we have a dessert party a few hours later anyway.

Honesty, I think we can split 3 -3 - 2 with 1 extra app OOP @ ESPN and then we can add a meal on at the end of our trip with the extra 3 credits. But, I'm ok with using 4 - 4 - 3 credits for 5 of us if we can't work it out.

So, what I'm hearing so far, is that you guys would order 3-4 apps and 3-4 Entrees and eat it ALL family style? That seems more complicated to me since everyone kind of has to be agreeable to everything.

We have things like a BOG lunch oop, a dessert party, Tony's Merriest @ MVMCP, and at Epcot we will eat at the booths.... no one's starving. lol

But thanks all, I'm interested in all thoughts!

Last edited:
I could never share as you are suggesting. What I prefer to eat at each place is determined by the menu at the location and how hungry I am. Some places I am happy with an entree and others I much prefer an app or two.

When we share we just all order food and split family style, I guess we go with people who aren't too picky, as we can always easily agree on a spread of items that people will enjoy, it doesn't mean everyone is interested in everything, just that there is enough being ordered that each person likes that everyone can have a nice meal.

It can work exactly as you want it to. Just ask for extra plates as needed. Stretching credits is a great idea. Unless you are signature dining. Then the meals, imho, aren’t big enough to share

Tell hubby you got this!

Isn't Garden Grill in Epcot an AYCE meal served family style? AYCE will charge for each person. Or am I thinking of the wrong place?

Isn't Garden Grill in Epcot an AYCE meal served family style? AYCE will charge for each person. Or am I thinking of the wrong place?

It is, but OP has 5 people in their party and they are using 5 credits there, so they're good.

Can sharing be done with friends who are not a part of the resort reservation? Can the make up of the dinning party be different than what’s on the resort reservation as far as adults vs kids and the total number? On Dekuxe plan.

Can sharing be done with friends who are not a part of the resort reservation? Can the make up of the dinning party be different than what’s on the resort reservation as far as adults vs kids and the total number? On Dekuxe plan.

I don't know about the kids thing....not sure what you're asking.

My party of 5 is 3 in a room and 2 in a room. We paid for DxDDP on 1 room only. We will be dining as a party of 5.

You can use your dining plan credits to purchase a meal or snack for anyone you wish. They don't have to be on your reservation; they don't even have to be staying on property. They are your credits and you can use them to bless anyone with a meal.

The kid thing is the one problem. QS and DxDDP credits are not distinguished by adult and kid (at least at this moment, they are not). So you can use a kid's credit to purchase an adult meal at QS and with any DELUXE credit. The regular DDP does distinguish the TS credits, so you CANNOT use a kid's credit to purchase an adult meal at a TS restaurant with the regular DDP.

However, the pdf for all dining plans still states that kid credits must be used on a kid's meal. They are not enforcing this with QS and DxDDP, but they could at any time decide to enforce it either at the point of sale or by fixing the system to distinguish between the two.

OK, you have both by and large answered my question. Our issue may be that (since we will be doing a meal with friends ...adults only) we have Two adults and three children listed on the room, and eating as a party of four adults.

OK, you have both by and large answered my question. Our issue may be that (since we will be doing a meal with friends ...adults only) we have Two adults and three children listed on the room, and eating as a party of four adults.

You SHOULD be okay. Reports are that with the DxDDP, the servers have no idea what the break up of the party is that purchased the plan. We don't use it, so I have no personal experience, but what you want to do has been done by many, many people reporting back here.

I should add that on another night we are taking our friends kids out for supper. So over the week we will be using the right mix of kids and adult credits based on what we paid for. Just that one night we will be using kid credits for adult meals and on another night using night using adult credits for kids meals.

I'd love to hear how you made out after the trip.

Last trip we had two rooms, one -DH and I, and the other - DS,DDIL, one disney kid and one disney baby. I was tempted to get dining plan for their room and we all use the credits. But I was concerned we would be told, nope, can't share.

You SHOULD be okay. Reports are that with the DxDDP, the servers have no idea what the break up of the party is that purchased the plan. We don't use it, so I have no personal experience, but what you want to do has been done by many, many people reporting back here.

I'd love to hear how you made out after the trip. Last trip we had two rooms, one -DH and I, and the other - DS,DDIL, one disney kid and one disney baby. I was tempted to get dining plan for their room and we all use the credits. But I was concerned we would be told, nope, can't share.

I should add that on another night we are taking our friends kids out for supper. So over the week we will be using the right mix of kids and adult credits based on what we paid for. Just that one night we will be using kid credits for adult meals and on another night using night using adult credits for kids meals.

This still worked for us just recently (the week after Thanksgiving). Credits were all pooled on the DxDP, no difference between adult/child credits. Servers never questioned when we had more adults than listed on reservation, for the few times friends joined us. We had all intentions to spend the credits appropriately over the week like you are (correct number of adult and child meals purchased in the end), but in reality, all the meals ended up being "adult" meals, because the servers encouraged us to order adult meals for the kids each time (best guess is it ends up giving them a much larger tip - and that it did! Those tips really add up, especially at signature restaurants if you're getting apps, entrees, drinks, and dessert each. Expect to pay an extra hundred+ dollars in tips alone). However, even if you order an adult meal for the kids, you're still limited to a non-alcoholic drink for that meal purchase, obviously. Only alcoholic drinks with meals for actual adults. We had no problem getting extra plates for each person and sharing all meals family style.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about planning what exactly you would order in advance. At the places you want to share credits I would just suggest using the three credits for apps/entree/desert, assuming you will share the apps and deserts. If anyone wants something additional as an entree, figure out which entree is least expensive and order that one OOP. If they want to share, ask for an extra plate. I don't think you can determine in advance what everyone is going to feel like eating once you are actually at a restaurant.

They actually can see the make up of the party. Twice last week the server handed me their scanning device and I was able to see how many kids and adults were listed on my reservation. The only restaurant that questioned me about paying for more adults than I had listed was Hollywood and Vine. It was eventually allowed after checking with a manager but I just listened to a podcast where this is a regular thing there and some guests have NOT been allowed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!