DXDP kids must eat off kids menu

On Disney web site under DxDDP info it states all kids 3-9 must order off a child's menu. So did it not use to say that or was it some loophole that folks were taking advantage of by having kid close to 10 order an adult meal and there was no way for servers to see how many of the party were paying adult price and how many paying kid price????

Regular ddp lists child credits and adult credits for dinner

Dxdp has pooled credits, there are neither child nor adult credits, just credits

Servers encouraged ordering of expensive options as it would result in a higher bill and presumably tip

On Disney web site under DxDDP info it states all kids 3-9 must order off a child's menu. So did it not use to say that or was it some loophole that folks were taking advantage of by having kid close to 10 order an adult meal and there was no way for servers to see how many of the party were paying adult price and how many paying kid price????

That has ALWAYS been on the PDF, but in recent years, it hasn't been enforced with both Deluxe and Quick service plans.

Report back after California Grill tonight - it was like our other trip on DxDP. We were sat, server asked if we were on a plan, and after hearing it was Deluxe he said the kids could order whatever they wanted. He recommended - for them - pizza for an app, and the adult filet mignon for their entree. He said the kitchen would be happy to do mac and cheese for their side if they didn’t want what it came with. My 6 y/o did get the filet, but chose the sashimi for his app instead. He said it was the best meal of his life, lol. So it must just vary restaurant to restaurant these days. We didn’t have to ask tonight, it was offered and encouraged.

As far as Blizzard Beach - we had one meal that we couldn’t conveniently eat at a TS, so yes we each wasted a credit there. Nothing special came with it, no apps or anything. I was able to order two lunches and two (included) alcoholic beverages without anyone asking if I was using kids’ credits or adults’. All entrees seemed to be available on dining plan, and we also used up some snack credits on ice cream and water.

I didn’t read the fine print on our last DxDP trip, but my then 4 y/o didn’t look over 10. We didn’t ask for any special treatment or try to sneak anything by. He was invited and encouraged to order whatever he wished from either menu. This trip we received exactly the same treatment at CG tonight, but he was explicitly told no at three other dinners and one breakfast. I’m not sure if the fine print has always been the same - it may have been. We’ve only used DxDP twice and I’m sure some families have way more experience with it and could chime in. We were just surprised at what seemed to us like a pretty big change, and wanted to share it with the group.

I didn’t read the fine print on our last DxDP trip, but my then 4 y/o didn’t look over 10. We didn’t ask for any special treatment or try to sneak anything by. He was invited and encouraged to order whatever he wished from either menu. This trip we received exactly the same treatment at CG tonight, but he was explicitly told no at three other dinners and one breakfast. I’m not sure if the fine print has always been the same - it may have been. We’ve only used DxDP twice and I’m sure some families have way more experience with it and could chime in. We were just surprised at what seemed to us like a pretty big change, and wanted to share it with the group.
The DxDDP credits were always pooled but children had to order from the children's menu. Then a few years ago DIsney suddenly relaxed some of the rules, allowing guests to share credits with people who were not on the plan, and by allowing children on a DxDDP to order from the regular menu. It was never advertised, and never something that was changed in writing, however it was all of a sudden common practice in many restaurants. I am surprised that there seemed to be a change on your trip.

I'm surprised too - we ate at TS restaurants everyday of the trip last week, sometimes twice, and it was never an issue.

If you have sufficient credits, can you order an adult meal to go for a party member who couldn't make it? If so, what's the difference?

Never knew about this. Wow, what a gig. Paying $40 for 6 year old DxDDP and he's getting about $100 worth of food which my 4-9 year old DS would have never been able to eat all of, so DH and I would get to finish his yummy meal (he's 21 now, so way back when). Dang, good deal. Surprised the mouse has allowed this. Jeez, the mouse went to great lengths when folks were stealing soda, with the RFID chips in cups, and soda is like a cost of 6 cents a cup. Can't believe they'd lose $60 a kid a day like that.

Never knew about this. Wow, what a gig. Paying $40 for 6 year old DxDDP and he's getting about $100 worth of food which my 4-9 year old DS would have never been able to eat all of, so DH and I would get to finish his yummy meal (he's 21 now, so way back when). Dang, good deal. Surprised the mouse has allowed this. Jeez, the mouse went to great lengths when folks were stealing soda, with the RFID chips in cups, and soda is like a cost of 6 cents a cup. Can't believe they'd lose $60 a kid a day like that.

I agree. This one still baffles me, and it's not just the DxDDP. It's also any and all QS credits. You pay $21 for a kid's QSDP and use all those credits for adult meals, it's like a BOGO free offer with two free snacks thrown in for a bonus. They're easily losing $30/day for anyone who does this. So either it's not happening as often as it seems or for some reason, they just don't care.

I'm surprised too - we ate at TS restaurants everyday of the trip last week, sometimes twice, and it was never an issue.

If you have sufficient credits, can you order an adult meal to go for a party member who couldn't make it? If so, what's the difference?

I'm assuming you need to specify when ordering something to-go whether it's for a child or an adult; even though it's the same dining credit that is used on the DxDDP. But, the way many of the responses in this thread sound, maybe you need to bring the party member with you, so the server can confirm it's for an adult or child?

I agree. This one still baffles me, and it's not just the DxDDP. It's also any and all QS credits. You pay $21 for a kid's QSDP and use all those credits for adult meals, it's like a BOGO free offer with two free snacks thrown in for a bonus. They're easily losing $30/day for anyone who does this. So either it's not happening as often as it seems or for some reason, they just don't care.

Probably a combination of both...we had a few old child non-expiring paper tickets from years ago that I had converted into current tickets (to link to MDE) and since some of my kids are no longer considered Disney children, I asked the CM if she wanted me to pay the adult price difference and she said no...probably just not worth the hassle.

From a monetary standpoint, it probably works out even for Disney...think of how many adults use an adult credit for a child's entree/item or a DxDDP credit for a QS meal (just like the OP did)...Disney shouldn't allow you to use an Adult credit for a Child meal, but they obviously do because they are making money off of it.

Last edited:
There are always loopholes and there will always be people who use them. I recall people used to "age up" their kids on the "free dining" promo from 9 and under (Disney Child) to 10 and over (Disney Adult) and just pay the difference between an adult pass and a child's pass. For $25 more per "Disney Child" they got adult meals instead of children's meals for their whole vacation. I'm not sure if people are still doing it, but at one time Disney reservation CMs were encouraging people to do this. I can't blame people too much for using loopholes. I've used plenty of them myself over the years, including using child QS credits for adult QS meals (my DD is a vegetarian and could not eat many kids meals when she was 9 and under). The OP's child enjoys adults meals and I'm sure the loophole if one of the reasons she bought the DxDDP for her family.

There is nothing wrong w aging up children. They are paying adult priced tickets and plan

Folks this thread is to specifically track dxdp kids where they are not allowed to use the credit on adult offerings. Not to judge loopholes or perceived wrongs

If the enforcement has changed, our folks want to know
Thank you!

There is nothing wrong w aging up children. They are paying adult priced tickets and plan
My comment was about aging up kids during free dining where parents only pay extra for the adult priced tickets because the plan is free. Sorry if I steered off topic!

ok just to be sure- all deluxe dining credits are pooled whether they are child or not? this should not change this year right? I am getting the deluxe plan for one of my rooms and intend to pay OOP for 5 year old. staying DVC with 2 room but getting DXDP on only one. I know you can share credits with people not on a plan.

ok just to be sure- all deluxe dining credits are pooled whether they are child or not? this should not change this year right? I am getting the deluxe plan for one of my rooms and intend to pay OOP for 5 year old. staying DVC with 2 room but getting DXDP on only one. I know you can share credits with people not on a plan.

Correct. And Disney may be losing revenue, but they’re not losing money. In fact, their gurus probably feel like they’ll lose more money if they change it.

Last edited:

Folks this thread is to specifically track dxdp kids where they are not allowed to use the credit on adult offerings. Not to judge loopholes or perceived wrongs

If the enforcement has changed, our folks want to know
Thank you!
Disney rules, right on their website, say kids need to order off of kids menu. So wouldn't this thread be telling folks how to circumvent Disney rules...which I thought was a no-no on the Dis????.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!