DXDP kids must eat off kids menu

Spinoff question: we are going to Disney with free QS dining. 2 adults, 2 Disney adults, and an 8 year old. I have read that QS credits are pooled so that technically we could get the 8 year old adult meals. But ethically, should we? :worried: If I wanted to age him up so that he can “legally” order off the adult menu would we just pay the difference between a child ticket and an adult ticket, since dining is free? (Which, for a 9 day park hopper looks to be $20.) And can I just adjust his age in MDE without messing up my free dining package, or do I need to call?

Edited to add: if we wanted to do a Candlelight Processional package during the week we’re not in the dining plan, would we have to pay adult price for him?

My comment was about aging up kids during free dining where parents only pay extra for the adult priced tickets because the plan is free. Sorry if I steered off topic!
There’s still nothing wrong with aging up a child. You pay for the adult ticket for them. Free dining is free dining. It just enables the person to have a greater selection of food choices. What age they are doesn’t matter. I’m not sure what it is you perceive to be an issue here.

Spinoff question: we are going to Disney with free QS dining. 2 adults, 2 Disney adults, and an 8 year old. I have read that QS credits are pooled so that technically we could get the 8 year old adult meals. But ethically, should we? :worried: If I wanted to age him up so that he can “legally” order off the adult menu would we just pay the difference between a child ticket and an adult ticket, since dining is free? (Which, for a 9 day park hopper looks to be $20.) And can I just adjust his age in MDE without messing up my free dining package, or do I need to call?

Edited to add: if we wanted to do a Candlelight Processional package during the week we’re not in the dining plan, would we have to pay adult price for him?

Do what you think is best for your fam, regardless of what us yayhoots here say

Last edited:

Do what you think is best for your fam, regardless of what us yayhoots here say

I’m good with that! But if you called us a bunch of nincompoops, I would be really upset!

On a serious note...you need to do what you think is best or right for your family; we can only really say what the Disney rules/policies are (that have already been mentioned in previous posts).

ok just to be sure- all deluxe dining credits are pooled whether they are child or not? this should not change this year right? I am getting the deluxe plan for one of my rooms and intend to pay OOP for 5 year old. staying DVC with 2 room but getting DXDP on only one. I know you can share credits with people not on a plan.

Same boat here

Disney rules, right on their website, say kids need to order off of kids menu. So wouldn't this thread be telling folks how to circumvent Disney rules...which I thought was a no-no on the Dis????.

It is, kind of. But the thing is, Disney has allowed it for years. The web site states one thing, and something else was happening in the parks. But yeah, it is best to know what the actual rule is so that you are not blindsided by it if they decide to enforce it. Which they can do at any time. Makes planning a bit of a challenge though.

It is, kind of. But the thing is, Disney has allowed it for years. The web site states one thing, and something else was happening in the parks. But yeah, it is best to know what the actual rule is so that you are not blindsided by it if they decide to enforce it. Which they can do at any time. Makes planning a bit of a challenge though.
That's the way of the mouse, no? Challenging planning. (saying this on exhaustion as I have been up at 6am two mornings in a row trying to make an ADR at BOG)

I don’t see why you couldn’t use an adult credit to purchase a meal for a kid off the adult menu. I thought it is now aloud on the dining plans to use credits for friends and family. How would they know the kid sitting at the table is the same kid from the room reservation. This doesn’t make sense.

If it is enforced it is that there is a child sitting at the table. Any child would be required to purchase a child’s meal, according to the plan. Just not enforced. Until this report

Until they split the credits in their system, there is no way to enforce a child having to order off of the child's menu on the deluxe plan. Technically, if I am there with my child, I could just order two meals for myself.

I've personally never had an issue with my child ordering off of the adult meal on the deluxe plan and in fact it is usually encouraged because that increases the total cost of your meal which means a higher tip.

I have not been in 2018 yet though, so if it's a recent change, I'm not aware. My son is now 10, so I"ll have no way of verify this on our upcoming trip first hand.

We’re here right now, 2 adults/2kids on DxDP, and a DVC stay. I can’t track credits on the app. We are being told repeatedly that credits are no longer pooled, as of Jan 1. My older boy doesn’t want kids meals, and they won’t let him order off the adult menu (Raglan Road did when I pressed them, but wouldn’t allow him to get an app. Tiffins and Homecomin’ flat out refused). They also aren’t letting kids get any of the souvenir/specialty drinks. For adults, it’s still one app/entree/dessert, plus one drink. Max value varies - one place said up to $19, another said $16 and under. When I had coffee and a Bloody Mary at breakfast I got charged for the coffee. I should have asked or called before buying the plan, as we would not have done it without credits being pooled. Lesson learned!

How about on the bottom of your receipt where it shows how many credits you have left? If they are pooled it would only be one line item, if they are split you should have an adult count and a child count.

I have no issue with them requiring a child to order off of the child's menu, but if they are going to do that then they need to stop pooling and even more importantly, they need to consistently across every WDW restaurant enforce it and not openly encourage it as they have been most places we eat.

There are no child qs credits, a qs credit is a qs credit

What are the "official" rules on this. Is there similar wording on the regular and quick service plans that state a child must order from the child's menu as there is on the deluxe plan rules?

I'm only curious because people, on this site anyway, tend to quickly take the moral high ground on the use of a deluxe credit being used for an adult meal, but have no problem at all with the same being done for a QS meal.

What are the "official" rules on this. Is there similar wording on the regular and quick service plans that state a child must order from the child's menu as there is on the deluxe plan rules?

I'm only curious because people, on this site anyway, tend to quickly take the moral high ground on the use of a deluxe credit being used for an adult meal, but have no problem at all with the same being done for a QS meal.
Yes, the same wording shows on the QS plan. I don’t think it’s people taking the moral high ground. It’s just that there’s a difference between the regular and deluxe plans.

Until they split the credits in their system, there is no way to enforce a child having to order off of the child's menu on the deluxe plan. Technically, if I am there with my child, I could just order two meals for myself.
The rules used to include wording that credits could only be used by those on the plan and only to the extent that the dining party matches the reservation. If there were two adults and two children, you could only redeem up to two adult meals. The servers had to enforce the rule since the system doesn’t. Just because the system allows something to be processed doesn’t mean that they can’t still enforce the rule.

Yes, the same wording shows on the QS plan. I don’t think it’s people taking the moral high ground. It’s just that there’s a difference between the regular and deluxe plans.

That's a very good point and one I've overlooked until now. You are right, if they are separated the adult from child TS credits on the regular plan, there is really no reason why they can't do the same on the deluxe plan. It's a different category of credit, but the same logic applies. Of course, they could do that for QS too, if they really wanted. I find the inconsistency on this very odd and makes me curious to know the logic behind the decision making on the whole thing.

The rules used to include wording that credits could only be used by those on the plan and only to the extent that the dining party matches the reservation. If there were two adults and two children, you could only redeem up to two adult meals. The servers had to enforce the rule since the system doesn’t. Just because the system allows something to be processed doesn’t mean that they can’t still enforce the rule.

Agreed, but it only works if it is enforced every single time at every restaurant. And that is the biggest part of the issue and the only way to really enforce it consistently is to build in system controls. And if they wanted to do it, they could and it would be a very quick/easy and inexpensive change in code to do so.

As guests, we really just need to go into a restaurant expecting that the policy can be randomly enforced at any given time that way it's not shocking or upsetting if/when it does happen. Personally, I'm actually glad to just be in the over 9 category now because I don't have to worry about it.

I've personally never had an issue with my child ordering off of the adult meal on the deluxe plan and in fact it is usually encouraged because that increases the total cost of your meal which means a higher tip.

I have not been in 2018 yet though, so if it's a recent change, I'm not aware. My son is now 10, so I"ll have no way of verify this on our upcoming trip first hand.

They are going by the physical person sitting at the table. Their policy allows them to require a child to order from the child’s menu. They can see on their screen how many adults and children are registered to the room, so even if the credits are combined, they could require the child to order from the child’s menu.

That's a very good point and one I've overlooked until now. You are right, if they are separated the adult from child TS credits on the regular plan, there is really no reason why they can't do the same on the deluxe plan. It's a different category of credit, but the same logic applies. Of course, they could do that for QS too, if they really wanted. I find the inconsistency on this very odd and makes me curious to know the logic behind the decision making on the whole thing.

maybe it is because on the DXDP there are ONLY credits -meaning you can use them for quick service or sit down restaurants? The worst way to use a credit would be a child's meal at a QS but the best use would be to use a child's credit on an adult meal.

if I can put all 3 of my grandchildren = ages 5 5 4 , my dh and myself on the deluxe plan in our 2br at AKL and then put the other 4 adults in the studio at AKL and use all the credits to pay for everyones dining then that is a plus for me. that gives us enough credits to have 8 meals each so we can eat a couple of signatures and and essentially break even on the cost. I do not feel like I am cheating the system = just getting good use out of my dining credits. I have book BOG =which is going to 2 credits- and CRT for a MVMCP night -o I may book Ohana or the Luau but I will probably just book regular table service for 1 more meal and let the others use the credits how they like- be it QS or sit down- we are staying 5 nights so that is 75 credits for 9 people -8 meals each and if I pay oop for kids meals at one of the restaurants or they split a meal - I have shared meals with my adult daughter at plenty of restaurants and used one credit so we will good to go on the amount of credits we need.

I my dh and I don't need a refillable mug so we will give those mugs to the other room. I have never bought the deluxe plan but this time it just works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!