• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early checkin for special needs kids?

riu girl

DIS Veteran
I am hoping to arrive at POP at about 11 am Sat Dec 31. Is there any way I can request or be guaranteed an early check-in for a special needs child. I already have a NS room guarantee but don't want to ask for too much. I have my ressie through CRO and would rather not have to switch it to special services if at all possible.

It may be too cold to swim that day, but DD could probably manage an hour or two without a room (playground/walking around POP/foodcourt) but not much more then that.
I am not planning on visiting any parks that day.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Suzy V.

I doubt if you can get a guaranteed early check in but if the room is ready they will allow you to get the room. But I would not count on getting your room before 3pm.

I'm afraid I agree with Talking Hands - you could make it as a request, but whether they will be able to grant it or not is not certain. A lot depends on when people chack out and how quickly they can get the rooms cleaned.
If you just need non-smoking and not any special cleaning, there may be some rooms that are ready when you check in if the one that was supposed to be yours isn't ready.

We tried that through the Special Services reservations # and we were told they would put it on our reservation but it could not be guarenteed. We were staying at POR. When we arrived we had a 4 hour wait...there was a mix up with reservations....handicapped room not ready etc.....well it was July 1st so there were a lot of people checking in. I was upset though as DS really needed a change and a place to rest. In the past they have let us use a room to change him in and then we go to the pool or something. This trip that was not given as an option even though we requested it.

We have this same issue because we always arrive in the mornings. Only one time did we have to wait until 3pm. We just find a quiet corner of the hotel when ds needs quiet time. Hopefully you will get lucky. If not, maybe you can see if the hotel at MCO will let you rent a day room. Someone mentioned that to me for our check-out days. I can't remember how much it costs. We will definitely look into that when we go next year. :flower:

On our first trip we stayed at the Poly and they had a room ready for us to use for David. The room was clean and we used it for 3 hours to change him, feed him and let him rest and catch his breath. It was not our handicapped access room. When our room was ready they came and got us. The next 2 trips we stayed at the Dolphin and they always had the rooms ready for us. The last few times we were at POR. The first time the CM brought us behind the check in section to an employee lounge and let us sit for a moment and change David's diaper. This time.....nothing....it was 4 hours before we could get to our room and it wasnt cleaned yet. It was however 4th of July weekend and they were busy. I think the best thing to do is call and make arrangements with Special SErvices and then call the hotel the day before to remind them you need a room not necessarily your room but jsut a room for a few hours until yours is ready. Another idea maybe to go to the parks and sit in the baby changing station for a few moments. We have found that even though David is 15 they let us have a quiet room for awhile to relax in and change him. Good luck I hope things work out for you. While you are calling you can also request late check out. We did this so we could enjoy a day at the parks and then come back to the hotel and change David rest and then check out! WDW is pretty great at making Special Arrangements for David.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter