• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early November, or early December, what would you choose?

deevku

Earning My Ears
Hello Disney experts,

We did Disney two years ago in October, and it was still very hot, and while not overly crowded, there were a lot of people there! I'm now planning our next trip for Fall of 2003, and would like to hear from seasoned veterans about crowds and weather during The first few weeks of November, verses the first week of December. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Dee

deevku,
I'm not a Disney Expert, so I hope it's okay answer :-)) ). If I could only choose one of the two time frames, I would probably pick early December! The main reason is I love the Christmas decorations and the special Christmas shows and events. All the resorts are decked out and a lot of them have special programs. There is even a tour of the resorts in early December. There is the Osborne Family Light Show at MGM, The Candlelight Processional at EPCOT and Holiday's around the World at EPCOT and all the parks are decorated so nicely. At the Magic Kingdom on selected nights, they have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (a separate admission event).....The weather can be iffy--it could be really nice or it can be on the nippy side.

Of course, if I would rather go both times, because if you go late Oct/early November, you might be able to take advantage of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom and the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT. The weather is probably a tad bit warmer than it will be in Dec.

In terms of crowds, Disney does a good job of bringing people in at all times of the year. I have rarely seen a time when I could walk right onto the rides-with no one around. But, going in early Nov or early Dec (excluding the weekends), I wouldn't expect to have wait times of more than 5-20 mins on most of the rides.

-DC

Thanks for the info, and I use "Disney expert" somewhat tongue in cheek...there's just so much info from so many nice people on these boards, that everyone is an expert on what they like. I guess I'll have to decide between somewhat warmer weather in early November, in the hopes that the kids can swim a bit...and the Christmas decorations a month later, when it may be cooler, with little chance to swim. I see you're going to the Polynesian in a few days. That's where we stayed last time, and our next decision is where to stay. It'll either be the Poly (because we loved it), or I'm thinking the Contemporary (to stay on the monorail, but try something different). But that's a matter for the resorts board I guess. Have a great vacation! :)

deevku,
The weather is FL can be a real surprise in Dec... I wouldn't rule out swimming in Dec. We were there last year over weekend in early Dec and the temps were in the 80's--absolutely gorgeous. But, I do recall one year during the early part of Dec (one of our first trips to Disney) when DH left his coat at home --his famous quote, "what do I need a coat for in FL?" --- There were a couple of days that were very cold, of course and poor DH got plenty chilly!

I LOVE the Contemporary. We've stayed there 6 times. I like the look and the feel of that place. There are people who think it is rather plain and aren't too keen on theming. But not me, I LOVE the theming. My only preference at the Contemp is a tower room. Otherwise, if you are in a wing room, there is a bit more walking to do (to/from snack bar in the am and evening, to/from the monorail or bus to go anywhere), In a tower room, it doesn't really matter which room you have because you traverse your distances vertically (in an elevator.) I've timed myself from a tower room to the MK walking approx 10mins... Those of the things I like the most.
However, I have to give the Polynesian slightly highy marks for transportation options. (You've stayed there, so you know all about that. :) .)
Anyway, I know whenever you go, it's going to be a great trip!
-DC :)

We went to WDW the first week of December 2000. It was nice enough to swim the first 3 days and we wore shorts. Then it got cool and we needed the jeans and light jackets at the parks in the evening. We stayed at WL because I thought it was ideal for December and I wasn't wrong, the Christmas tree and decorations were just beautiful. I also think December is a better time to visit when all the holiday decorations are up and the parks are so pretty. The first two weeks in November can be a busy time too, especially New Jersey week when all the kids are out of school. This year in my area they are out from November 5-11. Many people go that week. We leave in 2 days, first Universal for 3 days and then the Yacht Club for 5 days. I can hardly wait!

RobinLyn;)

I have never been in early November, but was there early December last year. The weather was perfect. Shorts during the day and on some nights a light jacket or long sleeve tee. Plus in December all the Christmas decorations are up and they are beautiful. We are going back this year on Dec. 1.:bounce:

Thanks again for all your input. I didn't know about New Jersey week. My sister wants to go first week of Dec. for the decorations, and it sounds like if we choose that, we won't be disappointed!

Just another thoght. If you want to go in Nov. but want to see the X-mas decorations, go the week before thanksgiving. Most resorts are putting or have put their decorations up and there are very very low crowds. The weather is in the upper 70's low 80's and the pools are heated!! We have been this time of year twice and we love it! It is also so much fun watching them put the tree and gingerbread house together at the GF. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I know your questions have already probably been answered but if i may...... I have been to disney 2 times since 1999, once in dec 11- 16th of 99 and then Jan 3-5 of 2001. Both time the decoratins where still up and both times attendance was low but if i had to pick when I could go (wait I do) I will alway go during those first few weeks of december.

As a matter of fact I am going this year december 7-12 to the WL honeymoon suite with my DW... no it is not our honeymoon but why can't we celebrate like it is. :cool: I loved my first december trip and now will never go anyother time. Cool but not tooo cool and christmasey and NOT CROWDED... WOW not that is disney to me

Being a Disney nut is so much fun though!! I had so much fun planning our last vacation two years ago, and the planning is just as much fun for me as seeing those plans all come together! We had to plan, because we had an almost 2 year old who was still napping. I planned meals, character meals, which parks on which days, which resort, etc. I know I'm not even close to being an expert, but I am definitely a nut about it! My husband doesn't want me to schedule everything this time, but how can one not schedule when visiting Disney World? Somehow I'll have to schedule the things we want to do, but make it seem spontaneous...I hope I can pull that off!

Have a fun, romantic trip....we're about 15 years away from going without the kids!

I think we've narrowed it down to either the week before Thanksgiving, or the first week of December, thanks to everyone's input.

-------------------------------

--to Disney World two times as a kid, staying with family
--CBR for the 25th Anniversary in Oct. '96
--Polynesian for the Millenium Celebration in Oct. 2000

I have only been once in early December... last year. It was still warm enough to swim during the day, and we had a couple of cool nights - just right for the hot chocolate they were selling in the parks. Especially nice while walking around in the 'snow' on NY street and strolling through the Osborne family lights display at MGM - ONLY IN DECEMBER!.

Plus, you could spend a whole day just looking at the other resorts and their decorations. The Grand Floridian and Boardwalk Villas were just GORGEOUS!

I would go Dec. Crowds are pretty light and Christmas decorations are out. Also its usually still warm enough to be able to get in the pools and waterparks (water is heated anyway but when its cold outside you wont want to get out, lol).

One thing to consider about November is that is when the food and wine festival is being held at Epcot. This is my absolute favorite event at any disney park. If you like food and wine (and beer) it is a must attend.

In the last 2 years we've been there in early November and early December, the weather was nice both times, ironically last December was warmer than the previous November. No rain at all either time, warm enough to swim.

But, I must make my vote/recommendation for early December. There is just nothing like seeing WDW decked out in the holiday fare with all of the holiday related park activities.

Early December is also usually less crowded than early November:p

WE'LL BE THERE!!!!

I have been two times the first week in Dec and once the first week of Nov. I absolutely love the holiday decorations! The last Dec trip was 2000 and as a previous poster said it got pretty chilly. We had to buy hats and gloves! We had lots of pictures with our coats on. I think everyone should go to Disney at least once to experience the holiday decorations! I went last Nov the first week and it was definatley warmer. Disney decorates for the fall too - which I was surprised at. In the MK there were cornstalks wrapped aroung poles and at Epcot there was a fall display with pumpkins etc. We went in Oct one time and never again! Still too hot for me! I am going again this year 11/5 - 11/12. Don't want my daughter to miss too much school so we are going during the NJ break. I would love to go again in Dec but do not want my kids to miss a week of school - the older they get the harder it gets to make up work!! My daughter just asked me if anything special like snow was going to be at Disney when we go in Nov! She really enjoyed the holiday festivities too!! Both times are great to go - but if you have never seen the holiday decorations you have to do that at least once!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter