Eat at Home 3!

This week's plan (pretty basic since I am feeling sick and didn't have the energy to do much in depth planning or shopping):

white chili
cheesesteak sandwiches and fries
red beans & rice
beef rotini
leftover pork tenderloin & potatoes- dressing it up more with cheesy sauce
either baked bean burritos or cheese enchiladas

Phew, so sleep helps:). I have a kinda plan for the week, but I'll figure it out as it goes:)...gonna rely on leftovers early in the week, and fresh stuff at the end. My area finally has an outbreak, so things could get nutty, but we'll do our best...

Sun - Leftovers from Youth Night - Roasted Chicken with Raw Bruschetta (and fresh mozz for kids), Balsamic glazed carrots, Newly chopped strawberries (since fruit was gone), and Fresh Bread
Mon - Chicken Pot Pie (last of the chicken, peas, onions, last of carrots) in a 9x13 casserole (so 1 pie crust over the top), Diced Kiwi and Bananas
Tues - Pasta with any remaining bruschetta (will blend into base for sauce), Meatballs, Green Salad
Wed - Still have the mac and cheese meal, so maybe here with Roasted Broccoli and Sliced Apples
Thurs - Leftovers and Smoothies
Fri - Lenten Dinner - We'll bring 2 dozed deviled eggs and another fruit soup (girls are pushing a strawberry one this time...I'm thinking one based on frozen peach - we'll see what the stores look like before deciding...and we'll see if this event goes - if not, it will be egg salad sandwiches with fruit soup here)
Sat - OUT (or IN, if the world has gone nuttier)

Well, last week was one h*ll of a ride. We live in the Nashville area. Our town was hit HARD, as was the next town over. Our family and home were unscathed, other than the nightly deliveries of debris the wind blows in. Saturday night, the wind blew a mangled chicken into our yard. :sad2: I have close friends who lost their homes, one close friend whose 4 yr old niece was killed...so much devastation. But, I have seen my community come together like never before. We will rise, we will rebuild, and we will be stronger than ever.

Wednesday:
Hamburger Stroganoff
Noodles

Thursday:
Smoked Butt Roast
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Asparagus

Friday:
Tuna Salad
Crackers

Saturday:
Spaghetti
Garlic Toast

Sunday: (DD's 18th Birthday)
Grilled Steak
Baked Potatoes
Caesar Salad
Dessert of her Choice

Monday:
Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese
French Style Green Beans

Taco Tuesday:
Taco Pasta
Cheese Quesadillas

@oopsiDAISY Many continued prayers for your city, community and friends. Condolences on your friend's loss. I cannot imagine what they are going through. Heartbreaking.

I completely understand what you mean about seeing your community come together. While I never wish any natural disaster on anyone, the day after can be truly eye opening and humbling when you witness the wonderment of human strength and compassion for each other.

For me, this time change is really kicking me in the shins and I am a bit backed up at work. So this week is going to be easy and mostly out of a box or can.

Sunday--dd and sil had a housewarming party/crawfish boil. So we had crawfish

Monday--spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
Tuesday--tacos
Wednesday--stew (crock pot)
Thursday--left overs
Friday--dirty rice, cole slaw

Next week is spring break and I need to get ready for our "summer hours" at work which will put me getting home an hour later which will make it impossible to get supper done on time for dh to get in bed on time (he is up and out the door around 2 am). So, I plan to do a lot of freezer meals that will make things a whole lot easier. I want a combination of cooked, frozen casseroles; cooked meats to easily add to other things, and crock pot freezer meals that I can just dump in before work (I will also be leaving home an hour earlier so need that time to be easy to)

My plans. right now, are:

Chicken and Dressing
Chicken Spaghetti
Tater Tot casserole
Cottage Pie
meat loaf
Taco soup
Pulled Pork

meat pasta sauce
cooked ground beef
taco meat
grilled chicken breasts

The crock pot meals, I am still working on. I need things that are basically dump and go as I won't be home to do anything to it and it needs to be one pot meals so dh can just eat when he gets home.

Well half of things on my menu last week I never made. DD16 has started working and DH got a promotion at work so his hours have changed, which means me and the dog are the only ones at home in the evening and weekends most days. So I won't be planning many meals throughout the week.

Saturday: I made a frozen pizza for lunch and ate it for dinner since it was just me
Sunday: Hamburgers (carryover from last week), roasted cauliflower
Monday: Lasagna (carryover from last week)
Tuesday: Leftover Lasagna
Wednesday: Sausage and cabbage (carryover from last week)
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Mexican Pizza

@oopsiDAISY I am so sorry to hear that! I have a cousin in your area, he was safe, but it was really scary!

Back from Disney, and back to the grind for right now.

Tonight is almond crusted chicken (from the freezer), broccoli and quinoa
Tomorrow: ground beef tacos, chips and homemade queso
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Sweedish meatballs (from the freezer), egg noodles, raspberries/blueberries/blackberries
Friday: Pickle juice brined chicken Take the juice from a pickle jar (I hate food waste so I love recipes like these!) and marinate the chicken all day. Then coat it in egg and breadcrumb, and then cook-we usually do it in a cast iron. Carrots and ranch and tater tots for the side
Saturday: Going away party for one of my coworkers at a local Italian restaurant (work is paying for the employees and their SO to eat:jumping1:)
Sunday: BF won a gift card to a local Mexican restaurant, so we are using it :)

HI everyone!

Crazy trip to AR to check on my mom in the nursing home and see the protocols in place to keep her and the other residents safe. I'm back and exhausted and not feeling that great. It's been little over 2 months since surgery and I still not back to 100% and it driving me crazy! Sorry for the OT

Menu wise I don't know what the heck is going on. We are both know home for the foreseeable future (like 3 weeks). I'm pretty stocked up but certainly will be out of things after that if 3 meals or snacking a day. My husband ate all the leftovers I made and repurposed in the fridge whiel I was away and new meals started on this past Tuesday.

Tue: buffalo chicken pasta with steamer broccoli
Wed: Old person chili dogs (carry over meal from couple weeks ago) with fruit
Thur: Dinner take out
Fri: Breaded panko crumb whitefish, coleslaw, waffle fries and green beans (all this crazy is causing me to really want comfort food!)
Sat: Homemade pizza and salad
Sun: crock pot shredded Italian beef sandwiches, fresh fruit, sweet potato fries
Mon: broccoli, ham and cheese quiche with fruit
Tues: crockpot bbq pork, roasted brussel sprouts,

I hope all of you and loved ones stays safe in these crazy times.

HI everyone!

Crazy trip to AR to check on my mom in the nursing home and see the protocols in place to keep her and the other residents safe. I'm back and exhausted and not feeling that great. It's been little over 2 months since surgery and I still not back to 100% and it driving me crazy! Sorry for the OT

Menu wise I don't know what the heck is going on. We are both know home for the foreseeable future (like 3 weeks). I'm pretty stocked up but certainly will be out of things after that if 3 meals or snacking a day. My husband ate all the leftovers I made and repurposed in the fridge whiel I was away and new meals started on this past Tuesday.

Tue: buffalo chicken pasta with steamer broccoli
Wed: Old person chili dogs (carry over meal from couple weeks ago) with fruit
Thur: Dinner take out
Fri: Breaded panko crumb whitefish, coleslaw, waffle fries and green beans (all this crazy is causing me to really want comfort food!)
Sat: Homemade pizza and salad
Sun: crock pot shredded Italian beef sandwiches, fresh fruit, sweet potato fries
Mon: broccoli, ham and cheese quiche with fruit
Tues: crockpot bbq pork, roasted brussel sprouts,

I hope all of you and loved ones stays safe in these crazy times.

Yeah, I'm trying to imagine meal plans from my stock for the next month (and enough snacking for kids), and it will start getting either very creative or very dull...or both.

I'm not shopping this weekend - my area is outbreaking and today, things are being cancelled left and right which will cause panic at the stores all weekend...I have an Amazon Fresh order coming (tried them for 1st time to see if they would work in a quarantine...put my order in yesterday morning and then last night happened...so here's hoping I get my order:))...

Yeah, I'm trying to imagine meal plans from my stock for the next month (and enough snacking for kids), and it will start getting either very creative or very dull...or both.

I'm not shopping this weekend - my area is outbreaking and today, things are being cancelled left and right which will cause panic at the stores all weekend...I have an Amazon Fresh order coming (tried them for 1st time to see if they would work in a quarantine...put my order in yesterday morning and then last night happened...so here's hoping I get my order:))...
Yesterday after my class orientation I stopped at fresh thyme for fresh fruits and veggied and my bulk items. I was prepared in my mind to be okay with crowds but i guess no one wants fresh stuff while home for couple weeks. :confused:

However, I realize we are out beer and sugar crap snacks. I gave up sugar/dessert for New Year and specific Lent. I have been doing well but this crazy time is going drive me back to sugar lol but i can bake better for you cookies and goodies than the package stuff. But I'm not talented enough make beer or whiskey so off to store. Wish me luck!

Yesterday after my class orientation I stopped at fresh thyme for fresh fruits and veggied and my bulk items. I was prepared in my mind to be okay with crowds but i guess no one wants fresh stuff while home for couple weeks. :confused:

However, I realize we are out beer and sugar crap snacks. I gave up sugar/dessert for New Year and specific Lent. I have been doing well but this crazy time is going drive me back to sugar lol but i can bake better for you cookies and goodies than the package stuff. But I'm not talented enough make beer or whiskey so off to store. Wish me luck!

Yeah, fresh fruit and veg will be last to go...which I'm okay with:)...might make it available for me to snag online longer:)...

I actually just bought herb seed packs (10 different ones), so my DD can grow something (she's been asking when we can start) and my food will have flavor...stores don't really list many herbs on their "I'll deliver" list...so here's me trying more than chives...

I wanted tomatoes, but not enough to try to grow them from seed...

Here is the plan for this upcoming week however who knows if it will stick with everything going on. DD out of school until April 13th! The company I work for is making us rotate to work from home 50% of the time for next 3 weeks.

Saturday: Sausage and cabbage
Sunday: Chicken Fettuccine with mushrooms and broccoli, garlic bread
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Chicken and Rice
Wednesday: Cheeseburger pasta
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Frozen pizza

Well. I was supposed to leave for Peru next week. But obviously that is not happening. Because of everything and my BF had a horrible break up. Rescheduled for the fall with one of my best friends....girl trip!

Eating up the fridge/freezer. This is all I have so far. Trying to take everything day by day. It's been a rough week.

Monday: Slow cooker Mac and cheese
Tuesday: Cafe rio chicken, couscous and broccoli
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Black bean enchiladas, chips and salsa
Friday: Oven baked nachos

So, we are self-quarantining til we get more info from my DD's CC (where she's dual-enrolled) and whether her teacher or a teacher in her building tested positive or not (she only has 1 class there, but they gave no info on the teacher, the day the teacher was there, the building the teacher was in, etc) - so we are in til Monday minimum...and next Friday if I get an email with worse news (she hasn't be there since Mar 6, and she's totally fine...so, I'm probably overreacting, but I don't think you can overreact).

With staying in, I tried Amazon Fresh and got that order...and then put an order in to Whole Foods...and don't have that one yet...prices for buying online - ugh...but better getting the stuff than not...with that said, here's the plan...

Sun - Crockpot Duck (finally making this after canceling a month ago - I got a whole chicken from Whole Foods and my freezer will need the space), Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes, Strawberries and Kiwi
Mon - Duck Club Sandwiches, Chocolate Banana Muffins, Clementines
Tues - Buffalo Chicken Breast, Buffalo Oven-Roasted Cauliflower, Sliced Apples
Wed - Chocolate Banana Nut Pancakes, Bacon, Sausage, Roasted Pineapple
Thurs - If any duck left, gonna make a Duck Pasta dish with Roasted Asparagus and a Green Salad - if not, we'll have any leftovers here
Fri - Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Miso Soup with Mushrooms and Onions, More Clementines
Sat - Frozen Pizzas with any rotting fruit/veg (not sure what groceries will be like, but I'm hoping I will be able to shop sometime Fri/Sat when quarantine, even at its latest, ends and see what is actually at stores now, since I'm missing this weekend's insanity)

EDIT TO ADD: Hurray, the teacher was negative AND they emailed on a weekend - still staying in til Monday to avoid insanity (and b/c Whole Foods is coming anyway), but I can actually run a bank errand the deposit a check next week!

Last edited:
So over the last couple of days I have somewhat stocked up. I mean, I have enough food to last a couple of weeks if needed (and most likely more then that). A bit low on fruits and veggies, but my freezer is only so big and I did not get to stock up on canned items like I had originally planned. Due to my work schedule and my anxiety (anxiety + pandemic is not a good combo), my family stepped in an helped me get what I needed this week plus I took a trip to a CVS downtown near my work. So here is this weeks plan. I am going to plan the following week like normal, then make changes if something happens. Also, I have NO idea what is going on with work and if we will move to working from home.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with fruit
Lunch: Chicken and greens stir fry and rice

Tonight: Steak, roasted potatoes, and roasted zucchini (the store was out of regular baking potatoes so I have mini ones I will roast)
Sunday - Tuesday: Roasted chicken, stuffing, veggie of some sort from the pantry or freezer or salad
Wednesday- Friday: Chicken tacos, veggie of some sort from the pantry or freezer or salad

Well, so far my whole family is home except me. Husband has been moved to work from home and kids are out of school until the end of the month. Me? I work for a local university. All classes have been moved online, and students sent home...but, staff members and administration are still on campus. :crazy:

I have meals planned for today and tomorrow, and have the groceries for them. I have plenty of meat in the freezer, but quickly running out of dry goods and veggies. I have tried placing my grocery pick up order, but our local Walmart is still trying to regroup from tornado damage, and is not offering pick up. Even while trying to put items in my cart, MANY of the staples were sold out/ not available. All that being said, I may try to go to the store to shop after 8 pm tonight, and hopefully avoid the crowds. This may or may not have me a bit stressed right now. The stores here locally are just wiped out of basic needs since so many folks are still trying to put their lives back together after the tornadoes. It's all just stressful and heartbreaking at the same time.

IF I am able to get the necessary groceries, here is the plan for the upcoming week.

Wednesday:
Venison Steak and Gravy ( I still have plenty of venison in the freezer)
Mashed Potatoes
Asparagus (in the fridge, need to use before it goes bad)

Thursday:
Low Country Boil ( we have some fresh gulf shrimp in the freezer)

Friday:
Sloppy Joes (ground venison)
Fries

Saturday:
Chicken and Saffron Rice
Peas and Carrots

Sunday:
Vegetable Soup
Buttermilk Cornbread

Monday:
Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Egg Noodles
Fried Okra

Taco Tuesday:
Chili Mac

Hope everyone is staying healthy out there! Schools canceled here till the end of the month, but supposedly they'll be doing online lessons. Kind of hard for DS2 since he's in his 2nd year of culinary school and everything is hands on in the classroom! Not sure how that's going to play out. I work for a small company so we're still in production and DH still has work but they've limited the amount people. I went ahead and planned for two weeks worth of meals. The store was busy Sunday morning when I went, but it always is at that time. I was able to get everything I wanted thankfully, except toilet paper! here's my plans:

Sun- crockpot no bean chili (DH said it's some of the best chili I've ever made- gotta keep that recipe!)
Mon- breaded chicken with leftover cream gravy and buttered corn
Tue- leftover pulled pork bbq pizza
Wed- totchos (yes, I'm attempting to make these for the first time, and I'll be imagining being at Woody's Lunchbox...)
Thu- sirloin steaks with sweet & spicy broccoli slaw
Fri- baked bean burritos with guacamole
Sat- eat out after I get off work or pick something up (they've cancelled church in our diocese)

Sun- bbq meatloaf with cheesy garlic mashed potatoes
Mon- chicken chef salad
Tue- garlic & herb steak pizza (using the extra sirloin steak from last week)
Wed- apple glazed chicken with baked apples and crusty bread
Thu- beef rotini bake
Fri- layered two bean enchilada casserole

Hopefully I can still buy groceries the next week! Everyone stay safe!

I've always been a fan of the Eat at Home thread... but now it's more useful than ever! I will really be trying to keep costs down and try new ideas for the foreseeable future. Who knows how long we will be in our homes. We have a mixture of vegetarians / pescatarians and meat eaters in our house, so sometimes our meals look a little weird once we accommodate everyone.

Today- Every man/woman for themselves... there are leftovers to use up so we will clear those out.
Wednesday- DS's 16th birthday. He requested ribs and homemade mac and cheese. I will make a salad as well so he doesn't get scurvy :rolleyes: . The vegetarians will be having veggie pot pies, the sides.
Thursday- Fried rice (pork or egg and veggies)
Friday- Pizza.. we usually do homemade pizza on friday nights. I am a little sick of it to be honest but we have everything in the house and now is not the time to be picky
Saturday- DD's 23rd birthday. She wants quiche and southwest salad and roasted potatoes . I'll also make chicken fingers for the non quiche eaters
Sunday- Fish tacos with cabbage slaw and lime crema. Leftovers (either the fried rice or the pork schnitzle)
Monday- Breakfast for dinner (pancakes, bacon , fruit smoothies, eggs)
Tuesday- Chili Mac in the slowcooker
Wednesday - Tofu parm / Cesar salad
Thursday- Vegan Winter Lentil Stew, Homemade Bread
Friday- Pizzas
Saturday- Pork Schnitzel , rice, not sure of veggie yet, Baked tilapia for fish eaters

That's as far ahead as I can get right now strictly using what we have in the house.

So how are you all handling meal planning when you can't be sure what you will find at the store? Are you doing back up plans? Only using what you have on hand? One plan and hoping that you find it all?

So how are you all handling meal planning when you can't be sure what you will find at the store? Are you doing back up plans? Only using what you have on hand? One plan and hoping that you find it all?

I'm decently stocked now...and I ordered a misfit produce box to show every Friday (I'd rather have ugly produce - and bonus organic produce - than no produce at all...and I'm not going inside stores)...so I'm gonna plan Saturdays after I see what I get. And hopefully, it keeps coming for the next few months (I'll be leaving it in the box on the 1st day as much as possible, so I can reduce virus concerns...unless I cook with it)...

For $2/lb, it's worth it to me right now. If anyone wants 50% off the 1st box for it, just PM me. I can honestly say my 1st box is this week, so it may be terrible, although my sis is the one who signed me up and she's been liking it (although she says the berries are rough...and the eggplants always get bruised, so need to be used very soon after receiving, if either product is in the box)...

I had to ditch my meal plan for the month of March. We were able to get 9 meals of ground beef, and two pork chop meals from the store. But fresh sides like green beans, squash, or broccoli is really hit or miss. I’m trying to use older pantry items first, our newer stuff is currently separated and in the breakfast nook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter