Eat at Home 3!

Hi all! So what a week change since last time of posting. I'm meal planning kind of but flexible since we are home. We aren't grazing all day at least which is helpful. We still have plenty of freezer stocked but will have to go out early next week for perishables unless I order for delivery.

Thurs: Pulled pork sandwiches, mac n cheese, green beans and I'm making a cobbler. We are having a friend over who is single and lives alone. It's for my lifeline much as hers

Fri: Tuna melts and soup and fruit

Sat: Frozen pizza, salad and pretzels with beer cheese

Sun: Chicken pot pie, roasted asparagus (if it still good??)

Mon: Chicken pot pie with green beans

That's all I have right now. I'll have to think about more. We are doing good and blessed for decent health and staying in. I hope all is doing well.

So how are you all handling meal planning when you can't be sure what you will find at the store? Are you doing back up plans? Only using what you have on hand? One plan and hoping that you find it all?

I'm staying stocked with broths and flavor packets and side items and flexible about proteins as to extent they are interchangeable. My plan is to alternate what proteins I'm buy which time so I don't have to buy lot when others are need as well.

Luckily my freezer has a lot of meat. I found good fresh vegetables but the 3 stores near me have little
Or no fresh meat. We were at WDW last week. In fact we were sitting in front of the castle waiting for the fireworks when the news broke. We were coming home Friday anyway so...
SAT - Lasagna I froze before we left
Sun - Hotdogs, baked beans and tator-tots
Mon - Soup from the freezer and fresh cornbread
Tue - Chicken Parmesan
Wed - Sheet-pan chicken, fresh green-beans and diced potatoes
Thurs - Cheese burgers and frozen fries
Fri- frozen pizza
Sat - Steak, baked potatoes and salad

Using what I found in our garage freezer. Thank goodness we had it.

Okay. I still don't have a plan, but I was able to get food this morning. Really didn't have much trouble. Aldi was well stocked minus bread (didn't have any regular loafs), flour, paper products, and most meat (they had a few packs of ground beef which I grabbed one of and then quite a bit of chicken). Otherwise, no problems.

So I know I will make chili on Sunday and eat off of that quite a bit. Breakfasts will be eggs and bread or oatmeal. I may try and make some granola to have with yogurt. We shall see. Lunches will be sandwiches. Don't know about the rest of the week or beyond.

So, we are self-quarantining til we get more info from my DD's CC (where she's dual-enrolled) and whether her teacher or a teacher in her building tested positive or not (she only has 1 class there, but they gave no info on the teacher, the day the teacher was there, the building the teacher was in, etc) - so we are in til Monday minimum...and next Friday if I get an email with worse news (she hasn't be there since Mar 6, and she's totally fine...so, I'm probably overreacting, but I don't think you can overreact).

With staying in, I tried Amazon Fresh and got that order...and then put an order in to Whole Foods...and don't have that one yet...prices for buying online - ugh...but better getting the stuff than not...with that said, here's the plan...

Sun - Crockpot Duck (finally making this after canceling a month ago - I got a whole chicken from Whole Foods and my freezer will need the space), Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes, Strawberries and Kiwi
Mon - Duck Club Sandwiches, Chocolate Banana Muffins, Clementines
Tues - Buffalo Chicken Breast, Buffalo Oven-Roasted Cauliflower, Sliced Apples
Wed - Chocolate Banana Nut Pancakes, Bacon, Sausage, Roasted Pineapple
Thurs - If any duck left, gonna make a Duck Pasta dish with Roasted Asparagus and a Green Salad - if not, we'll have any leftovers here
Fri - Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Miso Soup with Mushrooms and Onions, More Clementines
Sat - Frozen Pizzas with any rotting fruit/veg (not sure what groceries will be like, but I'm hoping I will be able to shop sometime Fri/Sat when quarantine, even at its latest, ends and see what is actually at stores now, since I'm missing this weekend's insanity)

EDIT TO ADD: Hurray, the teacher was negative AND they emailed on a weekend - still staying in til Monday to avoid insanity (and b/c Whole Foods is coming anyway), but I can actually run a bank errand the deposit a check next week!

So, my 1st organic misfit produce box showed up today...and it's gonna be a godsend. Especially after not one, but TWO online grocery orders I placed this week got canceled with NO NOTICE. My spouse braved the store yesterday (after the 2nd was cancelled) and I told the kids we are not gonna go back til April. It's this weekly box, the stash we have, and anything regular Amazon sends me if I find something I like...with community spread here, and the insanity and lack of availability at grocery stores (and the stories of kids fake coughing on produce...and the imagining real produce) - yup, we're in til the stupid is wrung out or things get better...at least my ducks are coming, so as I finish chicken, I'll move to duck:)...

Anyway, b/c I got the box (and b/c my frozen pizzas were cancelled in one of my orders), I'm gonna post Sat/Fri from now on...here's the new plan!

Sat - BLT's, True Southern Collard Greens with Bacon and Onions, Sliced Apples
Sun - Beef and Refried Bean Nachos with Cheese (for those who can have it), Lettuce, Tomato, Sour Cream, and Salsa, Clementines and Oranges
Mon (birthday dinner) - We're gonna have Takeout Chinese that I reheat to kill virus - to not overwhelm me, everyone is eating the birthday kid's choice of Chicken and Pork Lo Mein, Hot and Sour Soup, and Fortune Cookies - We'll have Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting for his real dessert and microwave popcorn and a "movie" for his fun
Tues - Baked Honey Mustard Chicken, Bacon and Onion Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Sliced Mini Watermelon
Wed - Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls with Bell Peppers and Onions (and all the nacho fixings from Sun), Homemade Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Thurs - Vegetable Thai Style Stew (any excess chicken will top this, so I can use leftovers for Lenten Friday lunch - it will cook full vegetarian) - Sunchokes, Carrots, Celery, Onions, Sweet Potatoes, Bell Peppers, Coconut Milk, Red Curry - over Rice with Thai-style cooked Bananas and Pineapple
Fri - Redo of the Fri meal from last week - Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Miso Soup with Mushrooms and Onions, More Clementines (didn't use it today b/c I was supporting my local pizza places new anal-retentive sanitation and delivery, which is about the only way I'll buy takeout food and eat as is now - they seal the boxes right after cooking, use gloves to prepare it and deliver it, leave it on your doorstep, make all ingredients in house, etc - my kids haven't had restaurant food in 3 weeks, and I've got a little stomach upset (nothing big, but nothing I want to cook with), so it was the perfect time to get them that...and they had fruit)...I'm having toast and bananas with ginger tea...

So my normal mode of meal planning is out the window. Both DH and I have been working from home for the past week, school is closed for the kids. Meal planning when you're all at home and going a bit stir crazy is different than when everyone is on the go during the day.

We tend to bulk buy (at Costco, the farmer's market, etc.), so our freezer and pantry are normally full. I have a subscription to an 'ugly produce' delivery service that gets us fresh veg and more fruit on weekends, but two teen DSs mean any fruit delivered on the weekend is gone by most Tuesdays, lol. But there's a great locally-owned grocery store within walking distance that we're relying on for milk, beer/wine, and supplemental fresh fruit. So I'm planning around using the fresh/fruit veg we are able to get, and otherwise relying on the freezer and pantry. And everyone being home for three meals a day means planning is a bit different so that we use what we have, stretch out what we have as much as possible, and don't waste food.

For this week's dinners, we've had beef stew (fresh veg, frozen meat), sausage and hash browned potatoes with salad (frozen sausage, fresh veg), ravioli with a four cheese sauce and salad, grilled pork tenderloin with asparagus and peppers (frozen meat, fresh veg), Mexican wraps (frozen ground beef, canned black beans), and chicken skewers with homemade baba ganoush and store bought hummus (fresh chicken...realized we didn't really have chicken breasts or thighs in the freezer, so ran over to the next door store one morning to pick up enough to have for dinner and some to freeze).

Lunches have included pork barbecue sandwiches using leftover grilled tenderloin, a general leftover day where we split the stew, ravioli, and chicken skewers, and we used the meat from the wraps to make a chili (added more beans and a can of chopped tomatoes).

For this week: I'm making homemade bread today, and I'd like to try to make some buns for hamburgers too. I have bacon and cherry tomatoes I need to use as well. So the next few nights we'll have hamburgers and pasta. I have sweet potatoes arriving with my ugly produce on Sunday, so I'll do a black bean chili with potatoes in the instant pot later this week. Other than that, we'll play things by ear. With the weather warming up, it's been nice to grill outside, so we'll likely do that a few nights again this week. I'll also have some bits and pieces of vegetables that will need to be eaten, so we'll have soup one night as well.

This has been an interesting week. Hope everyone is doing ok! I went up to see my parents.

Tonight: pizza (cauliflower and regular crust options), salad
Tomorrow: Ground turkey tacos, chips with dips, Spanish rice
Monday: Cabbage rolls and mashed potatoes
Tuesday: Ritz cracker chicken, fruit, broccoli
Wednesday: Meatball subs and tater tots
Thursday: something on the road headed back home

Here are our plans. As you can tell, I'm craving takeout and fast food:

Sunday: shrimp fajitas, salad, and strawberry margaritas (made with vodka, since we have no tequila--not sure what that drink would be technically, but I'm calling them margaritas).
Monday: homemade combination pizza, salad
Tuesday: Popeye's style fried chicken, sweet potato fries, salad

That's all I got. We have plenty of food since I shop at Costco and restaurant supply and we have a deep freezer and pantry. I'm being very careful to use every last bit, though. So at the end of these 3 days, we may eat leftovers while planning and thawing out the next few days worth.

Since stores were still open this weekend DH and I went ahead and did another shopping trip Sunday. (I am off from my weekend job indefinitely so I used Sat. to do a big deep clean/disinfecting of the house.) I only hate taking DH cuz it's like taking a kid- stuff ends up in the cart that wasn't on my list and I swear we spend twice as much! But since he and DS will be home more (he's doing a 2 day on/off schedule at his work and DS is just on call and doing school online) it will help to have more food at home so they won't be tempted to go out. I bought some things that I can freeze and some things that will work in multiple meals. I already had meals planned for this week but I added a bunch more just in case so here's everything:

cheese tortellini with homemade red sauce and bacon
Asian inspired pork chops with carrots and rice
chicken nugget chef salad
garlic herb steak pizza (using leftover steak from last week)
apple glazed chicken with baked apples and garlic bread
layered bean enchilada casserole
BBQ meatloaf with mashed potatoes
pulled pork nachos
cumin chicken with guacamole and rice'
totchos
sausage and pepper pierogies
chicken nugget wraps with veggies & Ranch
cheese quesadillas
beef & veggie pasta skillet
burgers with fries
BBQ mini sausages with broccoli slaw
tortellini spinach soup

That should get us through at least three weeks, considering we will likely have leftovers and do a couple "buffet nights" to use those up. Stay safe out there everyone!

Well here is what i am planning but who knows. My family may decide they just want to eat cereal. LOL I did make home made mac and cheese and Chicken Enchiladas that we had for lunches last week.

Friday: Frozen Pizza and Salad
Saturday: Rice, Beans, Leftover Chicken Enchiladas
Sunday: Leftover Rice and beans
Monday: Hamburgers, roasted veggies
Tuesday: Cabbage and Sausage
Wednesday: Pesto pasta with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini
Thursday: Chili Cheese Dogs, chips
Friday: Leftovers

Hello Cooks!

I may never watch Chopped of Top Chef after all this dinner planning. I like going to the grocery store and meandering my way thinking what I'm going to piece together and make my way through. Now I'm home feeling like my depression Grandma giving my husband the side eye if he isn't eating the last piece of fruit and saying pick off the subtle green:rolleyes1 On other hand my husband will never make fun my well stocked pantry and freezer again. I was "food insecure" as a kid but we just called it poor and stocked fridge and pantry makes me happy. I'm trying not to have anxiety as it goes down or cringe think about costs to refill.

I still have frozen pizza and sandwiches I can use as I keep putting them on menu and still not ready to have them. I guess that's before the zombies show up..

ya'll be safe.

Meals:
Sun: Chicken pot pie with roasted aspargus
Mon: Beef and broccoli and other veggies with cauliflower rice
Tues: Hot Italian subs with cut up veggies and dip
Wed: Pancakes, bacon and fruit
Thur: Bleu cheese burgers, waffle fries and veggie
Fri: Breaded panko fish, cole slaw and veggies
Sat: Homemade pizza and salad

I didn’t see a meal ideas/planning/what did you cook for COVID19. So I am adding here.

Tonight we are doing Hobo Dinners. If you don’t know what they are, I learned them from my Dad’s old Boy Scout book. They have them being made in the ground with coals but I make them in the oven. You can also put them on a grill. I didn’t know if maybe posting this people would want to maybe pretend camp outdoors for the evening.

Basically, you just cut up whatever vegetables you have, season, make a bed of them in the center of a large piece of foil. But some pats of butter here and there on top of them. Then make a hamburger patty and place it on the top in the center. Add another piece of foil and wrap the sides together around the pike as you go so it makes a pouch. Since I make in the oven, I put an initial on the top in sharpie (some people want certain veggies, I want a smaller meat patty). Bake in oven at 375. I do 45 minutes and check. It depends on how thick the patty is. Let rest for a bit after finished and then serve in packet on a plate or dump onto plate.

I didn’t see a meal ideas/planning/what did you cook for COVID19. So I am adding here.

Tonight we are doing Hobo Dinners. If you don’t know what they are, I learned them from my Dad’s old Boy Scout book. They have them being made in the ground with coals but I make them in the oven. You can also put them on a grill. I didn’t know if maybe posting this people would want to maybe pretend camp outdoors for the evening.

Basically, you just cut up whatever vegetables you have, season, make a bed of them in the center of a large piece of foil. But some pats of butter here and there on top of them. Then make a hamburger patty and place it on the top in the center. Add another piece of foil and wrap the sides together around the pike as you go so it makes a pouch. Since I make in the oven, I put an initial on the top in sharpie (some people want certain veggies, I want a smaller meat patty). Bake in oven at 375. I do 45 minutes and check. It depends on how thick the patty is. Let rest for a bit after finished and then serve in packet on a plate or dump onto plate.

My boys are both Eagle Scouts, starting way back as Tiger Cubs, and we made these many times on campouts! They were great because you can personalize them to fit everyone's tastes. I love that you shared this as a fun way to "camp out" during this stressful time. You could even make s'mores, do a campfire sing-a-long, tell ghost stories- anything your family might enjoy!

We have actually done takeout more frequently than usual, which is to say, once on Friday and once yesterday, to support some local businesses. Usually we do takeout maybe once a month, so that was a lot for us :) .

Last week I gave each kid one night to choose dinner and the activity we did in the evening. My little one has claimed Thursdays in perpetuity, I think. This week she got to pick which of my planned meals we would do on Thursday night (I'm not feeding them homemade mac and cheese and hot dogs EVERY week).

Sunday - Tofu Stir Fry with rice noodles and peanut sauce
Monday- was going to be taco salad, but it was snowing and no one wanted salad for dinner, so we had chicken puck sandwiches and roasted cauliflower.
Tuesday - takeout from a local pub
Wednesday - taco salad
Thursday- pancakes and sausage
Friday - Fish and chips, cabbage salad
Saturday- Homemade pizza

So, my 1st organic misfit produce box showed up today...and it's gonna be a godsend. Especially after not one, but TWO online grocery orders I placed this week got canceled with NO NOTICE. My spouse braved the store yesterday (after the 2nd was cancelled) and I told the kids we are not gonna go back til April. It's this weekly box, the stash we have, and anything regular Amazon sends me if I find something I like...with community spread here, and the insanity and lack of availability at grocery stores (and the stories of kids fake coughing on produce...and the imagining real produce) - yup, we're in til the stupid is wrung out or things get better...at least my ducks are coming, so as I finish chicken, I'll move to duck:)...

Anyway, b/c I got the box (and b/c my frozen pizzas were cancelled in one of my orders), I'm gonna post Sat/Fri from now on...here's the new plan!

Sat - BLT's, True Southern Collard Greens with Bacon and Onions, Sliced Apples
Sun - Beef and Refried Bean Nachos with Cheese (for those who can have it), Lettuce, Tomato, Sour Cream, and Salsa, Clementines and Oranges
Mon (birthday dinner) - We're gonna have Takeout Chinese that I reheat to kill virus - to not overwhelm me, everyone is eating the birthday kid's choice of Chicken and Pork Lo Mein, Hot and Sour Soup, and Fortune Cookies - We'll have Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting for his real dessert and microwave popcorn and a "movie" for his fun
Tues - Baked Honey Mustard Chicken, Bacon and Onion Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Sliced Mini Watermelon
Wed - Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls with Bell Peppers and Onions (and all the nacho fixings from Sun), Homemade Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Thurs - Vegetable Thai Style Stew (any excess chicken will top this, so I can use leftovers for Lenten Friday lunch - it will cook full vegetarian) - Sunchokes, Carrots, Celery, Onions, Sweet Potatoes, Bell Peppers, Coconut Milk, Red Curry - over Rice with Thai-style cooked Bananas and Pineapple
Fri - Redo of the Fri meal from last week - Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Miso Soup with Mushrooms and Onions, More Clementines (didn't use it today b/c I was supporting my local pizza places new anal-retentive sanitation and delivery, which is about the only way I'll buy takeout food and eat as is now - they seal the boxes right after cooking, use gloves to prepare it and deliver it, leave it on your doorstep, make all ingredients in house, etc - my kids haven't had restaurant food in 3 weeks, and I've got a little stomach upset (nothing big, but nothing I want to cook with), so it was the perfect time to get them that...and they had fruit)...I'm having toast and bananas with ginger tea...

Okay, so my produce box got delayed til today, so I waited to plan (b/c I had no idea what's in it). I'm still in "preserve the proteins" mode b/c getting the frozen ones is a pain...but everything else is flowing here, so here's the plan...(I'm making an Italian citrus olive oil cake this week at some point, too, when the regular cooking is light:))...

Sat - Hot Dogs, Baked Fries, Spaghetti Squash with Olive Oil/S&P, Clementines and Bananas
Sun - Bacon Mushroom Bell Pepper and Tomato Pasta http://www.happyandharried.com/2016/07/26/bacon-mushroom-peppers-tomato-pasta/ (something like this, but I'm making dairy free so I'll use nutritional yeast for parm...and I'm adding onions and herbs), Strawberries and Blackberries
Mon - The 1st duck - Crockpot Duck, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Blood Oranges and Regular Orange Slices, Crescent Rolls
Tues - Duck Part 2 - Indian "Butter Chicken" Duck and Veg (Bell Peppers, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Chick Pea), Naan, Sliced Pears
Wed - Duck Part 3 - Crockpot Duck and Veg Stew - Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers, Carrots, Celery, Rutabegas, Leftover Duck Jus, and Orange Sauce - Rice, Sliced Apples
Thurs - Garlic Glaze Pork Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Green Beans with Mushrooms and Onions, Bananas and Sliced Citrus Fruit
Fri - Vegetarian Spring Rolls (from freezer) Citrus Glazed Roasted Beets, Homemade Fruit Muffins, Fruit Smoothies
Sat - TBD - Might do a Chick-fil-a Nugget and Fry takeout (one kid asked for this) or a Cheesecake Factory pick up (b/c I have gift cards) - if I decide on CF, I'll probably do it Tuesday, and move the meals down, kicking Thursday's meal here...gotta figure out if I can pick up something dairy free that I can reheat from CF (b/c I'll just have leftovers from here and fries from Chick-fil-a, while I throw the nuggets and fries in the oven for 5)...not as easy a plan with cheesecake factory, then again, I don't want $50 in gift cards getting wasted...

Hi Cooks! We made it another week. We don't have end goal date but we are moving forward and that's what counts. Safety and good health to all on here.

I didn't make burgers or breakfast this past week so I'll move those into rotation this week.

Sat: Spicy shrimp tacos, pineapple coleslaw, avocado salad
Sun: Dorito casserole with roasted green beans and fresh fruit.
Mon: Crockpot roasted chicken, roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts
Tues: Tacos, rice and fruit
Wed" "Thanksgiving dinner" leftover frozen turkey/roasted chicken I roasted in Jan with stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans and rolls
Thur: Leftover night or make it yourself
Fri: BFD with pancakes. bacon and fruit

So I went to the store today and things were mostly normal. Maybe not as stocked as before but they seemed to have most everything in at least some quantity. Though, they were still totally out of flour but I have plenty. So I am hoping that this means I can get back to real meal planning. I think being able to do that will help my anxiety/depression as it brings a little bit of normalcy into my life.

Here is my plan this week:
Breakfast: Plain Icelandic yogurt with skillet granola and fruit OR eggs, toast, and fruit
Lunch: Sandwiches with chips (I can do ham, chicken, chicken salad, tuna salad, or chickpea salad)
Dinner:
Sunday (Tonight): French onion soup and mini naan
Monday/Tuesday: Chicken and veggies in Indian butter sauce, rice, and mini naan
Wednesday-Friday: Roasted veggie pasta and garlic bread

Did an inventory of what I have on hand (I didn't not realize how much I had in the freezer for a later time!). Trying to avoid the store if possible. It's also weird cooking for just me now.
Tonight: Spaghetti with red sauce and meatballs from the freezer
Tomorrow: Cabbage rolls (from freezer), brown rice
Tuesday: Leftovers
Wednesday: Scrambled eggs, cinnamon cream cheese bread, fruit smoothies
Thursday: Breakfast tacos and tater tots
Friday: Slow cooker Mac and cheese
Saturday: Leftovers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter