Eating @ Disney for $10/Meal? (Gluten Free)

sunb75

Mouseketeer
My daughter's dance team is competing in UDA Nationals February 2-4. The coach said they were giving the kids $10/meal. DD eats gluten free and is super picky. This isn't the first time we've been to the parks, but we never eat a lot when we are there. I usually send food to the resort (Amazon Prime) and pick up some groceries, which I do plan to do for this trip, too. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on eating gluten free and cheaply in the parks. DD is used to carrying around food every where she goes (yes, she is THAT picky) so I'm sure it will be the case then, too. I even told her I would get her a new Kavu bag for this trip instead of spending the money on park/resort food.

Best wishes for the UDA Nationals! I'll be following this thread as we are GF too...& would love affordable meal ideas.

Unless she eats kids meals, 10$/meal is not very much. What types of food does she eat? Many meals can be made/have gf versions in Disney like chicken fingers and pizza.

Unless she eats kids meals, 10$/meal is not very much. What types of food does she eat? Many meals can be made/have gf versions in Disney like chicken fingers and pizza.

She could eat pizza (gf). Do they usually allow non-kids (she's 15) to eat kids meals?

Send more money. I don't think you can eat for $10. Even a qs bfast platter is more

I plan to make sure she has plenty of food. She already brings her own when most people eat out so she's used to it. Maybe she can save her $10/meal for one heck of a souvenir ;)

She could eat pizza (gf). Do they usually allow non-kids (she's 15) to eat kids meals?
at qs,yes. She can also order a gf chicken tenders meal,etc or not the entire meal to lessen the cost....not drinking soda saves a lot of $$$- I also like some qs kids meals (gf too) but not all have good choices.

at qs,yes. She can also order a gf chicken tenders meal,etc or not the entire meal to lessen the cost....not drinking soda saves a lot of $$$- I also like some qs kids meals (gf too) but not all have good choices.

Perfect! She's a big fan of drinking water versus soda. And I'm planning on getting her at least a case so that will be helpful.

Just to note, from what I have found during planning, Disney does not upcharge for gluten-free stuff like some places. So that doesn’t really come into play in pricing things.

Has the coach/who ever is in charge of planning seen the menus at Disney? I don't think $10/meal is enough, gluten free or not. It might be good to give the parents of the other kids on the team a head's up so they can also send along more food, or money to supplement that $10.

Has the coach/who ever is in charge of planning seen the menus at Disney? I don't think $10/meal is enough, gluten free or not. It might be good to give the parents of the other kids on the team a head's up so they can also send along more food, or money to supplement that $10.
This is exactly what I was thinking. $10 per meal isn't enough even for non-gf. The kids are likely going to need additional money to supplement the amount the the coach is giving them. As for your DD, since she's so used to carrying around her own food due to being picky and gf, I'd go with that option. Then she could pool the money she's given and only purchase when there's something on the menu that appeals to her.

If you look on the menu pages, most qs places are listed as $14.99 and under. I would make sure that all the kids would have at least that much and I agree the parents should be aware of actual costs.

I've eaten many gf meals in Disney and if I eat qs I usually don't purchase the whole meal, as a pp noted. I'm not a French fry person so I usually get just a sandwich or burger which brings the cost down.

One thing to note is that if your dd is part of a group that is eating together her gf meal will take longer to get to her. Qs gf meals are not usually "quick".

This is exactly what I was thinking. $10 per meal isn't enough even for non-gf. The kids are likely going to need additional money to supplement the amount the the coach is giving them. As for your DD, since she's so used to carrying around her own food due to being picky and gf, I'd go with that option. Then she could pool the money she's given and only purchase when there's something on the menu that appeals to her.

Again, I have never seen Disney upcharge anything on their allergy menus - including gf stuff.

Yes, and her favorite thing to drink. However she is a growing and very active teenager and her body requires fuel :)

I'm gonna echo the folks that say $10/meal is too low. I'd go with $15/meal...if they have extra funds, they can always grab a dole whip or Mickey Bar (but I don't think they'll have much extra with most meals $12-$14+tax)...

If they're young enough for kids meals she's fine. If it's adult meals it would be very tight. Check out Gluten Free Dairy Free Disney World or Gluten Free Orlando for Gluten Free specific recommendations. I have food allergies, and most restaurants have gluten free buns, several have gluten free chicken tenders. Far easier than in the real world.

She did tell the parents that the kids COULD eat for $10/meal, but they would probably want to send extra money... I'm going to share with the parents that they can look up the menus for themselves to get an idea of the prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter