Effective rain gear for Summer

ww52

DIS Veteran
(I realize this may get moved...)

(And I realize there are probably many threads on this over the years...)

We're going in July - we've been in the summer many times but never really planned well as far as apparel for rain in the parks

So - quick suggestions welcome.

Ponchos - are the standard "Mickey" ponchos still reasonably priced and reasonably effective?

Shoes - any suggestions? I know gym shoes that get soaked tend to not dry well and contribute to foot odor. Sandals OK? Need something comfortable for walking as well. Certainly don't' want to wear rain boots in the high humidity!

Thanks

We bring 2 sets of ponchos - so when one set is wet we take the other set. We bought them online before we went - Coleman - I think - and they were perfect. We still use them several years later. We never bought the Disney ones. It is very important to dry the ponchos out after use and they will last and not smell. We were sandals or some of our kids wear sneakers. We make sure everyone has two pairs of shoes at least - so they too can dry out. I like to change my shoes so I am not wearing the same shoes for the entire trip anyway. I wear leather sandals and they dry perfectly. Enjoy the trip!

We stock up on disposable rain ponchos (Target, Walmart, Dollar Store). We've had reusable ones in the past, but then you need to carry a gallon ziploc bag to stuff it in after the storm passes so everything else doesn't get wet in your bag. It is way easier to toss the disposable one.

For shoes, we all wear decent water friendly shoes. I have two pairs of Croc sandals I switch out, dh has Tevas, and ds has Land's End water shoes.

Maybe against the trend but I wear sandles, and pack a compact foldable umbrella in my bag. I carry a Nike string backpack. I am a big guy 6'1" and go 270. Wearing a pancho I get wetter from sweat than the rain. I find the umbrella easier to use, easier to dry out or shake off and overall just a lot easier to deal with.

I find the disposable ponchos too flimsy to stand up, even for one day.
I have Disney ones from 15-18 years ago that are still good. I wear Tevas in the rain

Ponchos are too hot. We wear lightweight Columbia rain jackets and Keen sandals. Ball cap to keep the rain off glasses.

We use the dollar store ponchos with a baseball cap. They help me avoid rain drops on my eyeglasses. The ponchos are thin. The Mickey ponchos are heavier. It's usually really humid, too. We wear crocs( bought some with Mickey cut-outs in Epcot), sandals or any shoes that don't hold the water( croc actually makes decent sandals with arch support). When it rained for days in September, we also carried mini umbrellas.

Floridian here, so used to handling daily thunderstorms... I do at WDW as I do at home: wear quick-drying clothing and sandals, use a water-proof bag, and carry an umbrella.

I was thinking of buying a Frogg Togg lightweight jacket. Has anyone had any experience with these? My only concern with any poncho or jacket is the heat (we are going in late August).

I was thinking of buying a Frogg Togg lightweight jacket.
I just checked that out on Amazon - very reasonably priced (<$15) and they say it's breathable.

I think I'm going with that instead of a poncho. Easier to get on and off; doesn't cover the legs at all but we'll be in shorts anyway given the heat.

Plus they sell small carrying bags for it for about $3.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Tevas or Keens, umbrellas and quick dry baseball hats! I don’t mind my lightweight Northface rain jacket but my kids will be too hot in the summer. We are headed to WDW next week and that’s my plan. Went last August and that’s what worked for us.

My DH is a golfer so he will probably bring one of his golf rain shirts as well.

I’m a fan of the Disney ponchos and they last for ever. If you don’t leave them at pintrading at Epcot.

For the record - since I started this thread - we had a group of 8 and we had a mix of solutions. Umbrella for one - rain jackets rather than ponchos for 2 of us - ponchos for the little ones and a couple adults.

Shoes were a mix as well. Some wore sandals - I used gym shoes for comfort (had a second pair) and they dried out fine.

We only had one day when we were caught in a truly heavy rain. And the kids thought it was fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter