End of autographs at character dining?

Honestly, I think the only reason my girls had autograph books was because they expected you to have them. For them the excitement was meeting the character and getting their picture taken with them. They never really cared about seeing the character sign something. I think pre-'autographed' cards would have been just fine with them.

I was thinking this.

Unless it's a character that cannot sign (e.g. Beast, Mike Wazowski, Baymax, etc) I would think it would be a difficult conversation for the character handler to start with, "Winnie the Pooh is on his way, but he's not signing autographs since you already got one." That's not to say the conversation won't happen, but at the same time if a character is spending time with a guest and that character is able to sign, more often than not they are going to sign. It's not like a special meet and greet or anything. I just see this being really awkward.

I would think this is just to deter some guests from asking for autographs.

Perhaps it's even, dare I say, a courtesy for guests that don't have an autograph book/pen?
One of my family's traditions is Chef Mickey's. Say what you want about it since I know it's not the most universally (heh, last time I was there was the day I visited Universal, didn't catch that accidental pun) beloved place but we enjoy it and for us that's all that matters. Well this past time I was there, same trip as Bon Voyage Mickey skipped my table once he was done taking pictures with us and I stood there holding my autograph book without his thinking "oh wow." What makes me say this is you mentioning the handler. She came up asking if we saw everyone. We did, in the span of fifteen minutes for some strange reason that I would elaborate on if asked, told her yes but Mickey didn't sign it. She went back to Mickey and got his autograph for me. Was the weirdest character experience I ever had there. I'm only bringing this up because you mentioned the handler being more responsible there for those character. Just something I noticed in May

Again if you want to know why I had the autograph book with me at this age feel free to ask. Not ashamed I had it at all, just off topic rambling if I did explain like this.

EDIT: Ohh!! On topic I forgot when I met Olaf, the handler saw my book and told me he couldn't do autographs when I was at the front of the line, so I have seen them doing what you mentioned
I wish Disney would just ban autographs altogether. A hug and a picture is plenty, and it would help speed up those ridiculous lines. ...and maybe allow more roaming characters like we used to see in the Parks.
I thought about that a couple times and realized, it could never work in World again. Because characters are part of the integral "experience" for families unlike daytrippers and every other group, it's best to have them in a set area after all. Another reason is crowd control. Think about it, if Anna and Elsa freely roamed the Magic Kingdom, how congested would that area become? As much as I like the idea of free-roaming characters, I just don't think it can work in World.

Lastly, I'm an adult who still enjoys meeting characters, is that bad? Some posts make it seem like it is

Last edited:
One of my family's traditions is Chef Mickey's. Say what you want about it since I know it's not the most universally (heh, last time I was there was the day I visited Universal, didn't catch that accidental pun) beloved place but we enjoy it and for us that's all that matters. Well this past time I was there, same trip as Bon Voyage Mickey skipped my table once he was done taking pictures with us and I stood there holding my autograph book without his thinking "oh wow." What makes me say this is you mentioning the handler. She came up asking if we saw everyone. We did, in the span of fifteen minutes for some strange reason that I would elaborate on if asked, told her yes but Mickey didn't sign it. She went back to Mickey and got his autograph for me. Was the weirdest character experience I ever had there. I'm only bringing this up because you mentioned the handler being more responsible there for those character. Just something I noticed in May

Again if you want to know why I had the autograph book with me at this age feel free to ask. Not ashamed I had it at all, just off topic rambling if I did explain like this.

EDIT: Ohh!! On topic I forgot when I met Olaf, the handler saw my book and told me he couldn't do autographs when I was at the front of the line, so I have seen them doing what you mentioned

I thought about that a couple times and realized, it could never work in World again. Because characters are part of the integral "experience" for families unlike daytrippers and every other group, it's best to have them in a set area after all. Another reason is crowd control. Think about it, if Anna and Elsa freely roamed the Magic Kingdom, how congested would that area become? As much as I like the idea of free-roaming characters, I just don't think it can work in World.

Lastly, I'm an adult who still enjoys meeting characters, is that bad? Some posts make it seem like it is
I don't equate "banning autographs" to banning set meet & greets. I would envision all the meet & greets would be the same as they are now, but instead of signing your book, they hand you a signed card.

...if Anna and Elsa freely roamed the Magic Kingdom, how congested would that area become? As much as I like the idea of free-roaming characters, I just don't think it can work in World.

Yeah, I agree mostly with this. My own mother practically abandoned me for roaming Mickey Mouse at the MK back in 1975. :)

I would never expect to see any major character roaming the Park like they used to. Our ridiculous culture just can't handle that now. :rolleyes2 I'm thinking more minor characters like random Country Bears or maybe Smee, etc...

I have to admit, I find character meals at WDW to be the biggest waste of time and money you can find. My twin 5 year olds and 7 year old daughter could care less, and getting pictures was a chore. The concept of eating a very expensive, and not always good, buffet, while being occasionally harried to get back to your seat, to snap a picture that doesn't really look good... uggh. We did one character meal on our last trip, I'm trying to pair that to 0. None of my kids want to wait in line for meet and greets either. They'd rather be on a ride or in a show. I guess we just aren't the target audience for this...

I think each kid/family is different...

Our trip with my twin 5yr old girls and 7yr old boy the characters was the second best part of the day behind the rides. My son was not a fan of the princesses but other then that he loved all the furs and Aladdin as he was the only non-fur non-princes we saw outside of the parade.

All of the character dining we did we felt like it was worth the time. Only Chef Mickey we felt like it was not a good deal because of cost vs the food quality...but all the classic characters on our first meal ever at WDW was still special because of the pictures with and autographs with the characters.

And even more on the flip side of your kids my kids were bored with some of the shows. We went to and they had no interest in Nemo, the Birds (Flight of Wonder?), Philharmagic (if that is considered a "show")...we totally skipped Festival of the Lion King because they didn't want to do it.

...and maybe allow more roaming characters like we used to see in the Parks.

I can't even imagine how out of hand things would get if they allowed the more popular characters to roam around freely again. Some parents that go are so insane (let's be honest, we have all encountered them lol) and would absolutely lose it when other kids came up to the characters while their kids were trying to get a picture or something. So I think it is for the best that they are stationary so that everyone gets their "moment" with them.

The characters used to roam when I was little (late 80s/early 90s so it was awhile ago) and every picture from that time has a slew of random kids in them. I don't think that would be tolerated well by some guests at all these days.

I know I'm going to get stuff thrown at me, but I have to say it. I'm one of those folks that brings other things to sign. We have plates that we use for dinner at least once a week. We have two pillowcases. And they're a wonderful everyday reminder of the trips. We'll sit at the dinner table and remember the time Drizella took a liking to my son and blew kisses to him from the parade float later that day. We'll remember when we talked about archery with Merida. Or when Rapunzel's character handler told us that Olaf's signature is his face because that's what he sees when he looks in the lake (in California, Olaf will sign). Or when the Mad Hatter told us that we couldn't have strawberry soup with a spoon, and then I drank my soup with a straw for him. We see the signatures and tell the family stories. It's fun, and more accessible than the autograph book.

But the autograph book is still a favorite, too. My daughter will sit and page through her autograph book, looking at pictures and autographs. And the whole process of asking for the autograph is a great ice breaker for a kid who doesn't quite know what to say. We start with the autograph book and end up with other fun interactions.

I do try to be super prepared to keep things moving along. The plate paper is on a clipboard with a good spot all ready to sign. The pillowcase is in an embroidery hoop with cardboard all ready to easily sign. And of course the marker is all ready to go. Waiting in line is a great place to prep the materials. And my poor husband gets to collect all the items as we finish with them while the kids keep interacting and I take photos. It's a well-oiled machine and looks so seamless to the kids.

If I paid as much as a character meal and didn't get autographs I'd be asking for my money back. If all I get is a photo with a character then that's pointless. I could photoshop that picture and go on rides instead. I want interaction and memories!

I can definitely see Disney going down the pre-signed cards and selling books to store them in. Special events would have limited edition borders / backing so you could only get those at the party. Easy for CM to hand out to those waiting to see a character and speeds up the process. Yeah you can get your photos but no signatures on any other items (or high pay extra for the privilege).

I don't like the move myself but what you say here doesn't really add up. Handing me a pre-signed card instead of signing my kids' book would MAYBE get me out of the restaurant 30 seconds faster. Add the "savings" from 5 or 6 parties who may occupy that table in one evening and it doesn't give Disney the ability to seat any additional guests. And many people don't even do autograph books.

We actually have seen people going a bit overboard. We aren't the type to linger over our meals and it can be frustrating to see a character coming, only to have him stopped at a particular table for 5 minutes as a large group takes photos in every combination imaginable. But that's sort of what you sign-on for with character meals.

The autograph cards actually sound sort of cool as a collectible, but not necessarily to replace the books. It doesn't take that long to scrawl on a piece of paper.

I think her point is, currently at CP it takes about an hour for all of the characters to go around. Meaning the vast majority of people will stay at the table for at least an hour. But if they can now get the characters all the way around in 45 minutes, people will leave after 45 minutes. So every 4 hours, you get to seat 5 tables instead of 4.

I think her point is, currently at CP it takes about an hour for all of the characters to go around. Meaning the vast majority of people will stay at the table for at least an hour. But if they can now get the characters all the way around in 45 minutes, people will leave after 45 minutes. So every 4 hours, you get to seat 5 tables instead of 4.
Yep. Exactly that.

Yeah, I agree mostly with this. My own mother practically abandoned me for roaming Mickey Mouse at the MK back in 1975. :)

I would never expect to see any major character roaming the Park like they used to. Our ridiculous culture just can't handle that now. :rolleyes2 I'm thinking more minor characters like random Country Bears or maybe Smee, etc...
That's what I thought too thinking how it could work. Personally I'd love to see Scrooge come back out. Attending my first Christmas party this year and he's actually my only character priority because he's one of my favorites and this is the one time of year he comes out. But ones like him, Ludwig von Drake, and others considered part of the "long lost friends" week and more should be free roaming

Earlier this month, every day I went to Magic Kingdom the Country Bears were out and about. Not sure how often they come out but they do roam.

I have to admit, I find character meals at WDW to be the biggest waste of time and money you can find. My twin 5 year olds and 7 year old daughter could care less, and getting pictures was a chore. The concept of eating a very expensive, and not always good, buffet, while being occasionally harried to get back to your seat, to snap a picture that doesn't really look good... uggh. We did one character meal on our last trip, I'm trying to pair that to 0. None of my kids want to wait in line for meet and greets either. They'd rather be on a ride or in a show. I guess we just aren't the target audience for this...

Same here. I always ask my 11 year old if she specifically wants to meet anyone and she has never been interested. We did a few when she was little but all they did was scare her. It just isn't for us.

They still have it to a degree at Disneyland and I hated it - constantly getting cut in front. I'll take theborverly organized set up they do at WDW any day of the week

I have to say my first reaction was "that would be a bummer". I know my kids enjoy getting the autographs ... BUT the more I thought about it I question if it is really getting the autographs or collecting the autographs.

So I think it is one of those things that would feel different /weird at first but then I think we would get used to it any enjoy it just as much - especially if they were on like fun cards or something

Or maybe they are simply trying to get the characters back on that old schedule. We are living in the selfie generation now. 10 years ago when we did our first character meals, you took 2 or 3 photos and moved on. Today people seem to want a dozen different pics from a variety of angles to post to a half-dozen different social media accounts.

I wish Disney would just ban autographs altogether. A hug and a picture is plenty, and it would help speed up those ridiculous lines. ...and maybe allow more roaming characters like we used to see in the Parks.

Did it ever occur to you that they don't want to "speed up" the lines at meet and greets?

Perhaps because they don't have enough rides and shows to handle 52-ish million people?

Now at buffets, each one of those seats means big bucks...especially at breakfast...

Roll em over, Beethoven...

I have to say my first reaction was "that would be a bummer". I know my kids enjoy getting the autographs ... BUT the more I thought about it I question if it is really getting the autographs or collecting the autographs.

So I think it is one of those things that would feel different /weird at first but then I think we would get used to it any enjoy it just as much - especially if they were on like fun cards or something
When I got them it was more the experience of getting them than how many I got so I agree with that

Or maybe they are simply trying to get the characters back on that old schedule. We are living in the selfie generation now. 10 years ago when we did our first character meals, you took 2 or 3 photos and moved on. Today people seem to want a dozen different pics from a variety of angles to post to a half-dozen different social media accounts.

I've never had the rotation in CP take even an hour, so I think it is fine. Plus they are charging $50 pp, if people want to take a few pictures, they've paid for that right. If they don't want people taking time with the characters, get rid of them and charge $25. I've never gotten an autograph from a character, but if you are charging what they are, you better give me one if I ask for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!