End of autographs at character dining?

I'm just throwing this out there I was able to get the character cards and autographs in a book at bon voyage

I was thinking this.

Unless it's a character that cannot sign (e.g. Beast, Mike Wazowski, Baymax, etc) I would think it would be a difficult conversation for the character handler to start with, "Winnie the Pooh is on his way, but he's not signing autographs since you already got one." That's not to say the conversation won't happen, but at the same time if a character is spending time with a guest and that character is able to sign, more often than not they are going to sign. It's not like a special meet and greet or anything. I just see this being really awkward.

I would think this is just to deter some guests from asking for autographs.

Perhaps it's even, dare I say, a courtesy for guests that don't have an autograph book/pen?

Sort of related to your comments, I saw an article covering this topic: http://www.inquisitr.com/4471092/wa...nger-signing-some-located-outside-restaurant/

Two things, it says a) this is a test (though you know how Disney works that if this works at all as intended they will role it out) and b) "For the time being, guests are still allowed to ask for autographs when characters come to their table and they will likely be granted."

If that is how it happens in realty that you get the pre-signed card but they will still sign an autograph book or something then this could be best of both worlds. Some people might prefer the pre-signed (perhaps somewhat themed) card but those that want it in the book can still get it BUT ideally that will be a smaller percentage and you get a lest some (most) of the efficiency gains. I think that would be great then. Just would hate to see some little kids start crying or whatever because the one thing they wanted was Ariel to sign their book and she refuses (for example)

Sort of related to your comments, I saw an article covering this topic: http://www.inquisitr.com/4471092/wa...nger-signing-some-located-outside-restaurant/

Two things, it says a) this is a test (though you know how Disney works that if this works at all as intended they will role it out) and b) "For the time being, guests are still allowed to ask for autographs when characters come to their table and they will likely be granted."

If that is how it happens in realty that you get the pre-signed card but they will still sign an autograph book or something then this could be best of both worlds. Some people might prefer the pre-signed (perhaps somewhat themed) card but those that want it in the book can still get it BUT ideally that will be a smaller percentage and you get a lest some (most) of the efficiency gains. I think that would be great then. Just would hate to see some little kids start crying or whatever because the one thing they wanted was Ariel to sign their book and she refuses (for example)
It says "for the time being, guests are still allowed to ask.." which could imply it's not going to stay that way.

It says "for the time being, guests are still allowed to ask.." which could imply it's not going to stay that way.

agree - which is why I said "If" it is going to happen like that ... very well might not be the case - guess more my hopeful view for the end result

If it's a choice or option, then go for it! But I will be one of the folks still asking for a real signature, at least until the youngest outgrows it.

If it's a choice or option, then go for it! But I will be one of the folks still asking for a real signature, at least until the youngest outgrows it.

yeah, exactly. And I would think if they hand it to you as you walk in, but don't say "this is instead of asking for signatures" some people will anyway take that as the signatures for the trip and not bother asking for some - but as long as those that truly want one from the characters can still get one then I think it would be a great compromise as I would think it would at least get you 50% of the efficiencies they are looking for and some people might prefer getting it ahead of time and not having their pictures or videos interrupted by the signing process,

They absolutely want to speed up the lines.
Spend a day at meets and you will see a leader tracking time spent per interaction - their end goal is a faster meet to get more guests through per set. They are tracking quantity over quality

though I think it depends on the characters - at least when we went they gave you a lot of time with the Joy and Sadness ... made the line move rather slow but was worth it with how quality of a meet we had with them

though I think it depends on the characters - at least when we went they gave you a lot of time with the Joy and Sadness ... made the line move rather slow but was worth it with how quality of a meet we had with them
Yeah, right now certain characters are more watched for numbers than others, but they only need to spot test a few.

I pretty much live in fairy tale hall. When no leaders are present to count, the interactions are wonderful. A good amount of time without holding everyone up, an actual conversation, quality photopass shots - overall what I expect from a solid meet and greet. When the leader is present though, the mood is completely different. I pretty much get talked at for a bit, maybe maybe 3 photos if I'm lucky, and then I'm ushered out.

I've said it on the boards before, but entertainment is the #1 reason I'm in the parks, and I'm willing to wait for a high quality performance. Many guests though just don't care - as long as the line keeps moving they are content with just okay.

I've said it on the boards before, but entertainment is the #1 reason I'm in the parks, and I'm willing to wait for a high quality performance. Many guests though just don't care - as long as the line keeps moving they are content with just okay.

So they can go quickly and be content and I'll go for quality ;-) I find that you get out what you put in to the character greets. When we strike up a real conversation, the characters are so good!

They absolutely want to speed up the lines.
Spend a day at meets and you will see a leader tracking time spent per interaction - their end goal is a faster meet to get more guests through per set. They are tracking quantity over quality
The only reason to do that is to increase giftshop time...and that doesn't really seem to work very well as it did 20-30 years ago

I am one that loves character interaction. If this info was not told to me before I was to attend a character meal I would not be happy. In the past I have made autograph books for many kids going on a Disney Trip. It does get very pricey but I love getting to personalize each one. Besides the pillow case idea characters can sign different things. I love seeing how creative people get with what they want signed. I have seen backpacks, matted photo, etc. I have a few t-shirts that I had done during my CP days. Of course I had a bit easier time getting those signatures. (zoo)

As for wondering characters I don't think that would work as well. Does anyone know exactly when it was changed so that characters only did meet and greet? On my first CP I believe some characters still roamed. I remember the Queen of Hearts stole a kids water bottle and the child started crying. Another time I saw Alice go on the tea cups with some children. I also have memories of characters being blocked from leaving because the people were upset that they would have to wait while the character had to take a break. If the character and the attendant get separated it makes it hard for character to get through the crowds without being bombarded. One time I ended up putting my arm around the character and helping him get to break. You would be surprised at what some people try to do to the characters. I even heard that one of the school groups got kicked out of the parks for character abuse. As a cast member I felt very protective of the characters. It is not an easy thing to do.

Yeah, I agree mostly with this. My own mother practically abandoned me for roaming Mickey Mouse at the MK back in 1975. :)

I would never expect to see any major character roaming the Park like they used to. Our ridiculous culture just can't handle that now. :rolleyes2 I'm thinking more minor characters like random Country Bears or maybe Smee, etc...
I have seem the soldiers from toy story roaming outside TSMM but that's it for me. Anybody seen any others?

That's exactly how I read it. Sort of like bacon at the 'Ohana breakfast. It's to smooth over the transition.

Last edited:
Lol, I love it. The same usual response from different crowds of folks. Camp 1 - Great, I hate those things anyway *Insert comment about saving costs, or waste, or time, or something with some argument disney will somehow use said savings to help guests [As IF that would happen] Camp 2 - Actually liked it / looked forward to it, / understood that was what they were paying for.

I just wish people could come together and see the larger game sometimes. Disney keeps cutting, keeps squeezing more money out of guests while offering them less. Just because they are cutting a thing you don't care about or even dislike, doesn't mean the thing you like wont be next. They could burn down the castle or fill in all the resort pools tomorrow if they wanted, and some people wouldn't care. But if they still charged the same amount for your hotel stay or for park access, I'd like to think we would all agree that's not good for the guest, that's disney doing more of the same.

(To be fair, arguments about the speed of the line moving are fair, of course the solution to this would be to simply offer more ways to meet characters, you know, actually pay for the staffing they can easily afford at the insane amounts of money we pay for this stuff)

Just sayin.

I was thinking this.

Unless it's a character that cannot sign (e.g. Beast, Mike Wazowski, Baymax, etc) I would think it would be a difficult conversation for the character handler to start with, "Winnie the Pooh is on his way, but he's not signing autographs since you already got one." That's not to say the conversation won't happen, but at the same time if a character is spending time with a guest and that character is able to sign, more often than not they are going to sign. It's not like a special meet and greet or anything. I just see this being really awkward.

I would think this is just to deter some guests from asking for autographs.

Perhaps it's even, dare I say, a courtesy for guests that don't have an autograph book/pen?

It already happens, and has for some time. Most the M&G at the special spot in DHS Animation, they handed you the autograph card as you entered and told you no signing, at specialty ones over the years, same thing.

It will be easy to handle the transition until it's the norm. When you book your ADR ... just like the warning if it is during a Party, there will be a warning the characters do not sign but you will get a meal customized autograph card, when you arrive for your ADR the hostess will remind you as they seat you and hand you the cards and a small tent sign can be on the table reminding you no autographs just wonderful character interaction and photos .. maybe shaped like your autograph card (CP is a honey pot).

I wonder if this is actually in transition or just in testing. Or both. I could see them gradually shifting to cards over time. I would keep an eye out for some type of card holders next to the autograph books.

I can't imagine Disney wanting to hurry people through meet and greets though. Those lines do siphon off some of the crowd. Of course Disney wants people shopping and eating but they have to realize that there is a limit to that. Don't they?

Lol, I love it. The same usual response from different crowds of folks. Camp 1 - Great, I hate those things anyway *Insert comment about saving costs, or waste, or time, or something with some argument disney will somehow use said savings to help guests [As IF that would happen] Camp 2 - Actually liked it / looked forward to it, / understood that was what they were paying for.

I just wish people could come together and see the larger game sometimes. Disney keeps cutting, keeps squeezing more money out of guests while offering them less. Just because they are cutting a thing you don't care about or even dislike, doesn't mean the thing you like wont be next. They could burn down the castle or fill in all the resort pools tomorrow if they wanted, and some people wouldn't care. But if they still charged the same amount for your hotel stay or for park access, I'd like to think we would all agree that's not good for the guest, that's disney doing more of the same.

(To be fair, arguments about the speed of the line moving are fair, of course the solution to this would be to simply offer more ways to meet characters, you know, actually pay for the staffing they can easily afford at the insane amounts of money we pay for this stuff)

Just sayin.

I get what you are saying and Disney is definitely trying to cut costs / gain efficiencies .... I do think there is another element in that the parks continue to be crowded and the biggest complaint is the crowd levels and I do see a number of complaints about how long character meals can take (e.g., "I can't believe it took an hour for all the characters to get to our table!" - so while you have outlined 2 groups I think there is a third that are happy about the change as it makes the meals go faster which they want

Just sayin.
I completely agree with the bolded point. You should see all the opining I did in the thread about free parking going away.

But my feeling when it comes to this particular case is that the character interaction before and after the autographs are the best part. The autographs take away from the best part of the interaction and make the lines take longer. This is addition by subtraction - regardless of the general theme of cost-cutting.

Now, I don't have to be the bad guy in my family and put my foot down about the books if Disney already has.

Luckily though, because of this thread, we've had family discussion and everyone agreed that they don't need to do the book(s) next time. Although this change (if it becomes permanent) seems to have disappointed many, Disney would actually improve my experience with this one - and it wasn't an upcharge.

I completely agree with the bolded point. You should see all the opining I did in the thread about free parking going away.

But my feeling when it comes to this particular case is that the character interaction before and after the autographs are the best part. The autographs take away from the best part of the interaction and make the lines take longer. This is addition by subtraction - regardless of the general theme of cost-cutting.

Now, I don't have to be the bad guy in my family and put my foot down about the books if Disney already has.

Luckily though, because of this thread, we've had family discussion and everyone agreed that they don't need to do the book(s) next time. Although this change (if it becomes permanent) seems to have disappointed many, Disney would actually improve my experience with this one - and it wasn't an upcharge.

Shhh, don't give them ideas

"Due to creating a more efficient experience as well as providing unique autograph cards we are increasing the cost of character meals.... this, of course, is all in response to guest demand"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!