End of autographs at character dining?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by DizfanMA, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jknezek

jknezek DIS Veteran

Well people can find joy in what they want. To me, having an Elvis autograph is cool. Having an Elvis impersonator sign "Elvis" on something isn't an autograph, it's just an oddity. And having an Elvis impersonator hand me a card that has an "Elvis" signature printed on it isn't quantitatively different. The act of pen to paper for fake name doesn't make for significance, and I guess my imagination is sated by just interacting withe the character. But lots of opinions make the world go round.

amg13 likes this.
  2. wonder whisper

wonder whisper Mouseketeer

Be careful, we don't want the Disney bean counters to get any new ideas about "monetizing" experiences that historically were free (what they did to Fastpass was bad enough).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. AtlantaDisneyDreamer

AtlantaDisneyDreamer DIS Veteran

The Country Bears were roaming last July. One danced with me and walked for a good way down the path with me, holding my hand. Such a better and more fun and natural experience than a rushed photo and autograph at a meal.

dreiwhit and amg13 like this.
  5. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I don't see why it matters what Disney says will be provided right now. Whatever the definition of an autograph is, that terminology could simply be omitted at some point. There are countless examples of Disney omitting things that used to be expected.

6. Alicefan

Alicefan We're all mad here

I am sooo with you on this one! If they are going to do this then I think they all should have a stamp like Buzz Lightyear. I think the CM's trying to see what they're doing when they are signing makes the characters look clumsy and ridiculous.

7. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Mouseketeer

We did one DL trip where we got our daughter an autograph book and took her around to get it signed (via Character meals & waiting in line). She was 4 at the time and we only had one bad character experience because the Buzz Lightyear at DL didn't sign or have a stamp and the CM told my 4 year old that he couldn't sign her book because his laser would go off. Well, cue crying 4 year old who didn't want to even get a picture with him because she was afraid of his laser. It made me laugh and *I* got my picture with him. But after that trip we went through her autograph book and I made her recall a memory of meeting that character and wrote it down. Then for the next year she would read that book and look at the pictures and remember her trip to DL. Sooooo, to each their own. I love that we were able to do that for her.

Mac30188, STLstone and mom2rtk like this.
  8. auntfrannie

auntfrannie DIS Veteran

I was at CP last week My great-niece wasn't able to make the breakfast so I asked the attendant for an autograph card. She handed me a blank piece of paper and when I asked her for the printed card she looked at me like I had 3 heads. She said the characters will sign autograph books and they didn't have preprinted cards.

9. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Yes, we went to CP last week and was surprised to see they had returned to signing autographs

10. Cristin

Cristin Earning My Ears

That is good to hear. We have couple character dining reservations and my daughter has her autograph book all ready for our trip in November.

11. Tinkerbell2017

Tinkerbell2017 Mouseketeer

I was just at Crystal palace 4 weeks ago and everybody was signing autographs. I was amazed with those big paws that it actually was a very nice neat signature.

12. clippers6

clippers6 Earning My Ears

As an adult, I have no interest in character autographs, but understand the appeal since I had one as a child. If they started handing out cards though, I’d probably start collecting them.