Entering parks in wheelchairs. Bioscans?

JoannaOhio

17-Year Cancer Survivor!!!
I was reading a thread on the themeparks board about long lines waiting to go through the turnstiles and bioscans. It got me to thinking about what our situation will be, and figured I could get the best answer here. When four of us come in December, two of us will be in wheelchairs (one electric and one manual). I've been assuming that there will be an entrance for us to use that doesn't involve the turnstiles, where we'll need to show our tickets and photo IDs. (I would still be able to reach up to do the bioscan if they have one without a turnstile, but DD's fiancee has MD, and wouldn't be able to raise his hand up to do that.)

Are there bioscans at the wheelchair entrance? Will all four of us be able to enter there? My DD's fiancee will be in the motorized wheelchair, and my DD will be pushing my wheelchair - and then there's my 14-year-old granddaughter. Will either my DD or DGD have to do the bio-scan, or will we all just go through the wheelchair entrance? Will my DGD need a photo ID?

I had also read that passes purchased as a group at the same time, would recognize any member of the group with any of that group's passes. We aren't planning anything sneaky here, but I had read that some folks tried switching their passes with each other just to check it out, and they were able to go through the bioscan with each other's passes. However, if we always enter with photo IDs and no bioscans, then none of our bioscans would be on file.

We aren't going till December, but I'm so OCD about planning in advance that I would really appreciate any answers that anyone can give.

:grouphug:

There are no special handicapped entrances. You will go through the same lines but there will be a gate that you will use. Hand the castmember your ticket and id and he will scan the ticket and glance at the id then hand them back and let you go through the gate. You will not neead to do the bioscan. Btw they are angled wrong for wheelchair users and are on your left while those going through the turnstiles it is on the right and is set up to scan the right hand.

Bioscans have been used for years for APs (annual passports), so I can tell you what happens with my DD and other people can confirm it. The bioscans for the other type of passes will work the same way. The entrances into the parks have both turnstiles and gates. The gates are used for wheelchairs, ecvs and strollers. People using wheelchairs and ecvs don't usually use the bioscan readers at all.
My DD has not taken her power wheelchair to WDW, so we have dealt with her manual wheelchair. DH is usually the one pushing her. He alerts the CM that he is putting DD's pass thru the ticket scanner. The CM does something to indicate to the computer that the pass has been used, but the person using it was not able to use the bioscan. The CM pushes on the turnstile to advance it.
After that, my DH puts his pass thru the scanner and uses the bioscan. Then he pushes DD thru the gate and the CM advances the turnstile.
The rest of us use the ticket scanner, bioscan and turnstiles the same way as other guests.

Thanks, SueM, for the detailed description of how this will work. I was in the middle of composing a reply to ask for more detail, because I just wasn't getting the picture. Fortunately, since I had checked the box for instant email notification of any new replies, I got dinged before I submitted my post, which would have asked questions you just answered. I have a "bit" of a problem with anxiety (well, probably more than just a "bit") :rotfl2: so I'm always more comfortable when I know what to expect in advance. Thank you all for being patient with me.

Joanna, Sue gave you a detailed description of how to get into the parks. I have never had a problem with CM letting me through the gate instead of the turnstile. Sometimes I try to leave the ECV to put my pass through the machine & bioscan my fingers, but most of the time the CMs see me in the ECV & just open the gate, & I hand them the pass & my driver's license.

If you think of anything else, just ask. Asking now should give you a pretty good idea of whatto expect & how to handle the situation come December.

I have arthritis in my hands and fingers are a little bent and I am worried about the bioscan. I will be activiting my AP when I get to Disney, is there anyway to avoid the bioscan for such a situation. I will not be in a wheelchair.
Thanks...

If you are not able to use the bioscan for any reason, just tell them....

My husband pushes both me and DD in our manual wheelchair set up, I can count on one hand the number of times they have tried to ask him to leave us to do the bioscan thingie. We just tell them that he is our only able bodied person and can't leav us alone and they scan him and us through.

We have a unique situation too tho because we have to use a special double wide gate to get into the parks....

JoannaOhio said:
When four of us come in December, two of us will be in wheelchairs (one electric and one manual). I've been assuming that there will be an entrance for us to use that doesn't involve the turnstiles, where we'll need to show our tickets and photo IDs. (I would still be able to reach up to do the bioscan if they have one without a turnstile, but DD's fiancee has MD, and wouldn't be able to raise his hand up to do that.)

We aren't going till December, but I'm so OCD about planning in advance that I would really appreciate any answers that anyone can give.

I'm sort of stubborn. Everytime I drove up to any of the parks bioscans, a very nice Castmember asked me to hand them my Annual Pass so that they could put it though the bioscan machine. I, being sort of stubborn, wanted to do it myself.

First, I would look for those stroller/wheelchair/scooter entrance gates that were immediately to the left of a Bioscan walkin entrance that are located several spaces along the gate entrances.

Second, most people used the Bioscan with their right hand fingers.

I figured out that if I approached any Bioscan that is on my right side with the stroller entrance to the immediate left, that I could approach the turnstyle directly and then turn slightly to the left.

It took a little practice to turn a the right space so that I did not have to back up. But I reached out and placed my ticket in the Bioscan, and put my right hand two fingers in to be scanned.

The Castmember handed the ticket back to me as they do most walkers, and then I slowly continued through the stroller entrance on my left without having to back up without any problem and I took just about the same time as a walker would take.

Sincerely, Ray

Ray, I've only seen a photo of an entrance line where "walkers" would turn slightly left to enter the turnstyle with the bioscan, and people in wheelchairs would have someone else insert their pass, and they would then proceed straight ahead to exit via the gate. So - I can't quite picture what you've described, but I guess I'll figure it out when we get there.

ablemove.gif

JoannaOhio said:
Ray, I've only seen a photo of an entrance line where "walkers" would turn slightly left to enter the turnstyle with the bioscan, and people in wheelchairs would have someone else insert their pass, and they would then proceed straight ahead to exit via the gate. So - I can't quite picture what you've described, but I guess I'll figure it out when we get there.

Hi, Joannie. I apologize. You can approach any turnstyle at any WDW park and the Castmember will see you in a wheelchair or scooter and offer to take your park pass and insert it into the bioscan and return it to you. I was never asked to show an I.D., but I guess they could. I got the impression that you did not have to physically use your two fingeres in the bioscan, hence the request, sometimes, for an identification.

You can get into any line you want to get into. If you get in a line close to a gate used for strollers, scooters, or wheelchairs, then you can just ride straight up to the gate like you said and the castmember will insert the park ticket for you and open the gate for you.

I was just explaining my stubborn way of inserting the park ticket myself and then using my fingers in the bioscan without getting out of the scooter or having to back up, etc..

There are usually several turnstyles and then a gate interspersed in between the turnstyles.

I just look for a turnstyle to the right of a gate. I know almost everyone has to use their two "right" fingers in the bioscan and the bioscan is always located on the right side of the turnstyle that everyone enters.

But I'm sorry for the confusing post.

You can just roll right up to any line and they will take care of you without you having to ask for help. They will even take your park ticket and open the gate for you.

Have a wonderful time.

Sincerely, Ray

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter