EU plans to shut door to Canadians

Lack of travel to another country for a little while should not bring anyone to their "breaking" point. Talk about 1st world problems.

disagree. I live with my mom in Ireland. My sister, her husband and my 5 year old niece live in England. My mom last saw them in February, they were supposed to come to Ireland for Christmas, but thats now cancelled. We have no idea when we will be allowed to travel.

My next door neighbour, her son and his family live in Pennsylvania, USA. She usually spends the summer with them. Again she has no idea when she will see her son and grand kids.

One of my friends lives in LA. She was due to visit her family in Ireland in April, flights cancelled. Her mom is almost 80 , and my friend has no idea when she will see her mom again.

Travel to another country is not just about going to a theme park or a beach!! Families are at breaking point due to international travel bans.

disagree. I live with my mom in Ireland. My sister, her husband and my 5 year old niece live in England. My mom last saw them in February, they were supposed to come to Ireland for Christmas, but thats now cancelled. We have no idea when we will be allowed to travel.

My next door neighbour, her son and his family live in Pennsylvania, USA. She usually spends the summer with them. Again she has no idea when she will see her son and grand kids.

One of my friends lives in LA. She was due to visit her family in Ireland in April, flights cancelled. Her mom is almost 80 , and my friend has no idea when she will see her mom again.

Travel to another country is not just about going to a theme park or a beach!! Families are at breaking point due to international travel bans.

The poster I was referring to (who talked about "breaking point") was specifically talking about vacation travel.

The poster I was referring to (who talked about "breaking point") was specifically talking about vacation travel.

I always find it interesting to think back to our ancestors. Their minds would be blown to know how we so freely gallivant around the planet. They only traveled for extreme purposes! Now, not only are we a family who travels often, but I actually WORK in the travel industry and we have seen my income come down to nearly zilch. I still understand that travel IS a luxury, even when weve so come to depend on that. We're trying our best to find alternatives. Lots of local travel, splurging on things we normally wouldnt, etc. We have to find a way to cope and get ourselves through this. That doesnt mean is HARD and it SUCKS.

While I 100% see where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree. I think we need to maybe find other ways to find escape or manage our mental health right now.

I work in health care and I can't help but feel that whatever holiday you might take is not worth your life or the lives of your loved ones and whoever you might come into contact with. Yes, you may not get COVID. You may get COVID and be fine. Or you may get COVID and despite all precautions and good health, it could kill you. People often like to bring up that you could get killed crossing a street too, and yes, that's true. However, do you cross at a crosswalk in a safe situation? Or do you dash out in the middle of the street during rush hour? We're currently in the middle of a pandemic. It is rush hour. And every time you do one of these things you are running out into the middle of the street.

Just because we have to stay home and take precautions doesn't mean we can't find an escape or take time for ourselves in a safer way. I think we would all be in better mental health situations if, instead of focusing on all the things we can't do, focused on better ways to safely look after ourselves and give ourselves a mental break.

I'm a regular traveler myself, I usually take 2-3 vacations a year to often far flung places, and giving that up has been hard. But I keep reminding myself that this is not forever. This is a period of time that one day we will look back on as being so short in the span of our lives, and if anything I can do now to make sure as many people make it through COVID as I can, I feel like that's my social responsibility.

How about taking some time off and just relaxing at home? Do you have a trusted family member or friend who is part of your safe circle who can watch your kids for a few days while you relax? Or is there maybe time while they are at school where you can take the day off and just invest in your own well being? You could learn to meditate or paint or take time for yourself in some way in which you find value.

I recently took five days off, gave myself some at home fancy facials, painted, went for long walks in the woods and played with my dog. I also ordered take out every day to give myself a break from cooking and it still came in with a much smaller price tag than my vacations usually do. I also tried something new... I tried telephone counselling. Now I've never been a counselling type of person, but it really helped to be able to speak to someone who wasn't a close friend and was a professional and really unload.

I know COVID is hard on everyone and we're all just doing our best, but we've still got a ways to go yet and every additional case just extends the restrictions that are already weighing so heavily on so many people.

So tactfully well said!

While I agree 100% I also feel like I’m at my breaking point. I’m sure I’m not the only one who is at that point. What is “ essential “ for one may not be for another. I know when there was a nail salon outbreak people were damn right cruel to those that went.
“ Holidays “ For me are a source of escape as a single mom .
I just think no one knows what someone is going through , what their breaking point is it what they need at that moment to survive. .. kinda the same as all the Halloween drama . I’m not judging but not participating.

Hugs to you TammyLynn. I get it.

Lack of travel to another country for a little while should not bring anyone to their "breaking" point. Talk about 1st world problems.

Actually my definition of a 1st world problem is hastily judging others behind your computer screen when you have no clue what they are going through in their life.
Be kind, then maybe it will be easier for all of us to get through this .

Gypsy
Thank you for being respectful as you can see not everyone has been which certainly doesn’t help matters. I too work in health care privately with an employer who tells me every day that if I get it he’s dead . That alone is enough pressure to keep one up at night . I worked two jobs prior. I’m homeschooling my two littlest and one little ASD hasn’t had in person therapy since this started .
Your suggestions are appreciated and lovely. Please rest assured ive exhausted all options. No one knows others life stories and this Isn’t the place to share.
I appreciate your kindness. Thank you Gypsy
Kindness not judgement is what will help us all get through this . And when someone says they are at their breaking point be kind don’t judge , don’t even that person to make them cry to start their day.

QUOTE="gypsy_at_heart, post: 62409750, member: 583681"]
While I 100% see where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree. I think we need to maybe find other ways to find escape or manage our mental health right now.

I work in health care and I can't help but feel that whatever holiday you might take is not worth your life or the lives of your loved ones and whoever you might come into contact with. Yes, you may not get COVID. You may get COVID and be fine. Or you may get COVID and despite all precautions and good health, it could kill you. People often like to bring up that you could get killed crossing a street too, and yes, that's true. However, do you cross at a crosswalk in a safe situation? Or do you dash out in the middle of the street during rush hour? We're currently in the middle of a pandemic. It is rush hour. And every time you do one of these things you are running out into the middle of the street.

Just because we have to stay home and take precautions doesn't mean we can't find an escape or take time for ourselves in a safer way. I think we would all be in better mental health situations if, instead of focusing on all the things we can't do, focused on better ways to safely look after ourselves and give ourselves a mental break.

I'm a regular traveler myself, I usually take 2-3 vacations a year to often far flung places, and giving that up has been hard. But I keep reminding myself that this is not forever. This is a period of time that one day we will look back on as being so short in the span of our lives, and if anything I can do now to make sure as many people make it through COVID as I can, I feel like that's my social responsibility.

How about taking some time off and just relaxing at home? Do you have a trusted family member or friend who is part of your safe circle who can watch your kids for a few days while you relax? Or is there maybe time while they are at school where you can take the day off and just invest in your own well being? You could learn to meditate or paint or take time for yourself in some way in which you find value.

I recently took five days off, gave myself some at home fancy facials, painted, went for long walks in the woods and played with my dog. I also ordered take out every day to give myself a break from cooking and it still came in with a much smaller price tag than my vacations usually do. I also tried something new... I tried telephone counselling. Now I've never been a counselling type of person, but it really helped to be able to speak to someone who wasn't a close friend and was a professional and really unload.

I know COVID is hard on everyone and we're all just doing our best, but we've still got a ways to go yet and every additional case just extends the restrictions that are already weighing so heavily on so many people.
[/QUOTE]

I think having something to be excited about and plan for and dream about was a much larger benefit to our mental health than most of us even realized. I think there are some who needed that promise of escape to slog through another hard stretch of time ( whatever that may be) and it’s totally understandable. I completely understand @TammyLynn33 .

@gypsy_at_heart , that was an excellent and kind post and really helps at reframing the situation . We just have to find other ways to recharge our batteries and boost our morale right now. Reminding myself that “this too shall pass” is definitely one of them.

There are so many more people struggling with their mental health right now and I suspect that will get harder and harder for us all as we enter the dark days of winter. We need to find ways to support each other and meet people where they are. This is tough on everyone.

Let’s just be kind. Every one of us is going through something right now. It’s called a pandemic and it is keeping us away from family and friends, causing illness and death and a whole lot of stress. It is affecting us all. Let’s be considerate of what others may be going through.

I don't think its for us to decide what someone's breaking point should me. My mom used to always say " there but for the grace of God go I" and let us know we don't know what's going on behind the scenes in other people's lives. For some, not meeting the regular coffee group at tims might be theirs. While covid might not be affecting me as much in our area with zero cases right now, and teenagers I don't have to homeschool, I recognize its probably hell for others rn.

Personally getting out of the country is the best way for me to relax. Taking holidays at home is not a holiday as I'm still accessible to family, my boss, etc. I never had the luxury of family to watch my kids when they were little, and we were too poor to pay a babysitter. Hard to switch off with other friends because of hubby's shift work and taking care of my mother. But the friends who had parents that baby say for free, took them whole weekends, I never really liked their "take a day for you" comments.

Its hard enough being a mom, in covid, never mind a single parent, we don't need people making us feel like our feeelings aren't justified because it might not seem a big deal for us.

I don't think its for us to decide what someone's breaking point should me. My mom used to always say " there but for the grace of God go I" and let us know we don't know what's going on behind the scenes in other people's lives. For some, not meeting the regular coffee group at tims might be theirs. While covid might not be affecting me as much in our area with zero cases right now, and teenagers I don't have to homeschool, I recognize its probably hell for others rn.

Personally getting out of the country is the best way for me to relax. Taking holidays at home is not a holiday as I'm still accessible to family, my boss, etc. I never had the luxury of family to watch my kids when they were little, and we were too poor to pay a babysitter. Hard to switch off with other friends because of hubby's shift work and taking care of my mother. But the friends who had parents that baby say for free, took them whole weekends, I never really liked their "take a day for you" comments.

Its hard enough being a mom, in covid, never mind a single parent, we don't need people making us feel like our feeelings aren't justified because it might not seem a big deal for us.

My opinion stands. Total 1st world problem. Vacations are a nice to have, but not a necessity. I spent many of my single parent years not being able to afford any sort of vacation, let alone foreign travel. I have dealt with so many problems in life, many huge things, grief, much loss, etc, that haven't brought me to my "breaking point" that something like a vacation sure isn't going to. So, we'll just have to disagree on this one.

I truly didn't intend to stir up such a controversy with my "essential travel" comment. I'm just so darn tired of not being able to go anywhere I feel if we could just shut things off (the border) for a while individual countries would be able to get their situations under control and we would all be able to return to our travelling lives. There are an awful lot of people bouncing around tracking Covid with them.

I'm sorry some of you feel this comment may have been directed at you. Such is not the case. I try to keep comments like this as general as possible so as not to offend anyone. Most people on these boards lead very privileged lives (otherwise we wouldn't be flying to Florida as often as we do). We need to consider those around us who aren't as fortunate as we are and do what is right to get over Covid so we can all move back to normal.

I feel international vacations are not essential.

I think having something to be excited about and plan for and dream about was a much larger benefit to our mental health than most of us even realized. I think there are some who needed that promise of escape to slog through another hard stretch of time ( whatever that may be) and it’s totally understandable.
This. Likely the reason most of us joined the DIS Boards and watch the show.

If we didn't enjoy WDW planning, jumping through all the hoops, struggling with their crappy IT platforms, we wouldn't do it and would hand it off to a travel agent. I really believe that I enjoyed the planning, getting online at 7am, making and adjusting ADRs, making spreadsheets and detailed daily itineraries, just as much as my actual time in the parks.

Think when I mourn the loss of my WDW vacation, I am really mourning that mental health outlet and stress release that I leaned on for many months every year esp during the dark cold winter. Moving to Orlando/The Magic was never a real or practical option for me. But planning my annual trip was doable.

So yes, a vacation is a first world luxury. But vacation or escape planning has deeper roots for many of us. It's a lifeline hobby that lets us escape from some very difficult realities. Many of us have plunged into work and/or pandemic prepping with the same energy. But long term, maybe that's not physically or mentally sustainable for most without an escape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!