Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

GatorMomInNC

DIS Veteran
I posted this on another cruising site since it isn't a DCL cruise, but I am wondering what my fellow Disboarders think.

I have had a cruise on MSC Orchestra booked for almost a year for my family of four (2 children in their teens). We also have plans to spend a week in Paris before hand, including 3 nights at DIsneyland Paris. The cruise leaves out of Venice on June 20th and goes to Italy, Greece, Albania and Dubrovnik. I've been so excited and have loved planning it and looking forward to it. I didn't book on DCL because of the cost and it is port intensive cruise and normally for those I don't go with DCL.

I started to get worried a few days ago due to the spread of COVID-19 to Italy, and specifically Venice. I am concerned that at some point I will be unable to travel to (or from) Venice or maybe even Europe, if the virus spreads and travel bans are put in place.

So worried that I woke up thinking about this and can't get back to sleep.

I am the kind who likes to pre-pay for as much as I can when planning a trip, so I don't have to worry about it when the time comes. So I have booked all my excursions, flights, hotels, etc.

I just went online and cancelled all of the excursions I pre-booked. I figure that if I go I can always re-book and likely there would be availability. But in case there is a lot of cancellations I would like the money back now.

I have about 3 more weeks to cancel the cruise and get a refund, and I have insurance for the cruise also.

I bought insurance for the package I bought for Disneyland Paris, but I don't know if it would cover cancellations unless we actually got sick.

Stupidly, I didn't buy insurance for my flights to/from US/Paris, or to and from Paris to Venice, so without those being cancelled by the airlines, I would be out about $3,000. I could still buy insurance, but it is about $500 and I don't know if it would now cover issues relating to COVID-19.

If there are no travel bans I would like to go, but I would feel bad possibly exposing my kids to the virus.

I am also very afraid I would not be allowed back in the US if I flew to Europe and there was some sort of additional outbreak (and who knows what will be going on in 4 months?).

Is anyone else booked this summer for European cruises - DCL or otherwise- and thinking about this, or am I just panicking/over-reacting??

Well I am in Germany and have been monitoring this for weeks. I have to as my job requires it. Work for the Lufthansa Group. We are scheduled to fly to Vancouver end of April and sail in the wonder to Hawaii.
My plan is to keep planning as scheduled. We already have the HNL to SFO paid and one hotel. Cruise is also paid. Though I could see DCL crediting for another cruise if embargos are in place. This is a new situation for cruiselines and pax.

I have also been reading the latest reports that as this spreads globally placing global travel bands is no longer effective, not even realistic and that more focus will be put into expanding healthcare infrastructure (mobile hospitals) instead of controlling movement of people.

If your flights are not able to operate due to stop in services, or travel bands, usually the airlines such as we waive any change fees, refund in many cases.

Just another thought at the moment I am estimating about hundreds of 1000s if even Million US citizens in Europe oversees at the moment. How can they be contained and not allowed To travel back. Last similar case was 9/11 but that only lasted a week. I recall people opening their homes back to stranded people. With a virus that is not going to happen

I’m also going on a cruise out of Venice sailing on June 22nd visiting similar destinations.
At the moment the few people affected are in a very small regional town of the Veneto area. Italy have responded very quickly and decisively quarantining the entire town and others in the area of Milan who have been diagnosed, also in tiny nearby towns.
At the moment I’m playing the waiting game. In a couple of days time I might be in London. I’m probably just as much at risk wandering around there as in Venice. Each country has reacted in a different way, some quickly and strictly and some far less so, which in my humble non medical opinion has not helped at all and the WHO is still not directly referring it as a pandemic when all information is indicating that it is.
There is still time between now and June for anything to happen including our own home area being affected.
My PIF date is at the end of April so I guess that’s the point that I will make my personal decision although the final decision will be decided for me by the cruise companies.
Only you can really decide for yourself and your family. If you feel that it’s not a risk that you want to take is there any financial advantage cancelling now? If you try and rebook an alternative destination just remember that the next minute you can find it’s there too.

We are due to go in June-about the same time as you. I am worried about this, but it is so out of anyone's control. We are booked, PIF, airline etc. Going to wait this out. If it is as bad as it could be, airline will suspend flights, cruise won't depart etc. I do have good trip insurance, so the loss will be minimal. But as of now, a total global shut down? I know it is possible, stuff hollywood movies are made of, and we, as a civilization, will have a bigger problem than me taking my trip. Not going there, keeping positive, fingers crossed that we can go (I have been planning for a year as well). As a gold cruiser I get to book my excursions at midnight on Saturday and I have to admit, all of this has taken the fun anticipation out of my planning. Hoping for the best.

We and our friends are seriously considering cancelling our October European Celebrity cruise which travels to Italy, Greece, Turkey and Israel.

I admit to being more cautious than many, as we cancelled our Australia cruise for March due to the wildfires and wildlife devastation there. We cancelled after the PIF date. Our insurance is helping us recoup more of that monetary loss. Princess was able to rebook our cabin.

Our PIF was last Tuesday. We paid. Had it been this Tuesday we would have canceled. I find the news about lung changes in asymptomatic patients troubling, thats the first thing about the virus that has really troubled me. Prior to that I was only concerned about being denied embarking due to similar symptoms, quarantines, etc..

Our PIF was last Tuesday. We paid. Had it been this Tuesday we would have canceled. I find the news about lung changes in asymptomatic patients troubling, thats the first thing about the virus that has really troubled me. Prior to that I was only concerned about being denied embarking due to similar symptoms, quarantines, etc..

Did you reply to my other post on the other site also?

One thing I didn't mention is that I have asthma and it seems like oftentimes they warn that asthmatics are at higher risk of fatalities...

I have about 3 weeks to cancel the cruise, which I booked using Chase rewards points. I will wait that time out, but wondering if I might end up cancelling, them rebooking if things look better in a couple months, and hope to be able to get a balcony for the same price.

I can't do anything about the flights...

My kids are most excited about DLP so I hope we can still do that. I just don't know what kind of travel restrictions will be in place.

Feeling the same... cruise is in July Barcelona to Dover. Booked flights last week. PIF due in a few weeks. We have trip insurance, but who knows how that will work out. My hope is this all dies out by summer. Uggh

I admit that this has impacted my travel this summer. I had been thinking about booking the Disney Northern Europe cruise. Then thought about just doing a RCI cruise out of Bayonne as the concerns from this virus started to grow. Now I really don't have any desire to cruise at all after reading the entire Diamond Princess thread on CC and I have been cruising a long time.

I would also recommend paying attention to the cruise line restrictions as Celebrity and RCI now are not allowing anyone to board their ships who have been to the Lombardy and Veneto regions of Italy and there are mandatory specialized health screenings for anyone who has visited any other regions in Italy. It often seems when one cruise line does something, the others follow suit.

I am hoping by summer things are back to "normal", but the way things are currently, I am definitely concerned and am waiting to book any future cruises.

Did you reply to my other post on the other site also?

One thing I didn't mention is that I have asthma and it seems like oftentimes they warn that asthmatics are at higher risk of fatalities...

I have about 3 weeks to cancel the cruise, which I booked using Chase rewards points. I will wait that time out, but wondering if I might end up cancelling, them rebooking if things look better in a couple months, and hope to be able to get a balcony for the same price.

I can't do anything about the flights...

My kids are most excited about DLP so I hope we can still do that. I just don't know what kind of travel restrictions will be in place.
Yes, that was me. I didnt realize it was you as I wasnt paying attention to screen names. LOL

It seems like those most adversely affected have high blood pressure or heart issues.

My situation is somewhat complicated too. I receive Remicade infusions for Crohn's disease. This puts me in the immuno compromised category. My blood pressure is in check and I dont currently have heart issues although a known problem with Remicade is CHF. Its a small percentage that develop this but it does raise my risks. However since I am not currently having heart issues I wasnt concerned, I figured at worst I would get flu like symptoms but more than likely nothing would happen to me. I was far more concerned with what a quarantine would mean for my husband's job than actually contracting a serious case of COV.

Until this morning. I read this. Basically they are finding changes in the lung tissue of even asymptomatic patients. Obviously this isnt as robust of a study as I'd normally like before making decisions but I also dont have the time to follow them long term to see what the implications are for these patients.

There was another (again small sample size) study this morning that strongly suggest people are contagious 24 hours before becoming symptomatic.

So, if I could cancel the cruise without penalty now I would. So now I need to decide if we want to play a game of chicken to see if MSC cancels or if I should cancel now with the penalty. As for airfare, Im SOL so might as well hang tight for a bit and see what happens with that.

We are booked on the Magic for the 7 Night British Isles cruise in September and I am completely torn as to what to do. I absolutely hate to have to wait until 9/2021, but also don't want my husband or I to get sick...or worse yet, stuck on a ship for God knows how long.

We have until May 9 to make a firm decision, but with the new itineraries going on sale this week, I am so conflicted.

Until this morning. I read this. Basically they are finding changes in the lung tissue of even asymptomatic patients. Obviously this isnt as robust of a study as I'd normally like before making decisions but I also dont have the time to follow them long term to see what the implications are for these patients.

So, if I could cancel the cruise without penalty now I would. So now I need to decide if we want to play a game of chicken to see if MSC cancels or if I should cancel now with the penalty. As for airfare, Im SOL so might as well hang tight for a bit and see what happens with that.
Thanks for the link. That's a pretty disturbing study. I've had open heart surgery to correct a congenital defect and one of my lungs is smaller than the other. I'm generally healthy and don't get sick often, but I'm worried. We're on Princess out of Southampton in June. We're doing the British Isles and so far they don't have any problems. Our final payment is due March 11 so we could cancel now if we wanted. I think we're in the "play chicken" camp. We've got travel insurance and if the cruise is cancelled, we'll get that back in full. Our airfare is also booked through Princess, so I guess that would be refunded too. We don't have the Cancel for Any Reason insurance though. Ugh. I'm really hoping this virus calms down pretty soon.

We are booked on the Magic for the 7 Night British Isles cruise in September and I am completely torn as to what to do. I absolutely hate to have to wait until 9/2021, but also don't want my husband or I to get sick...or worse yet, stuck on a ship for God knows how long.

We have until May 9 to make a firm decision, but with the new itineraries going on sale this week, I am so conflicted.
It's possible this virus will act like a flu virus and die out in the Summer. I would wait until the last possible moment to make a decision. I think a lot of people are making rash decisions based on fear. Since the quarantine of the passengers on the Diamond princess went so badly hopefully that course of action is off the table.

It's possible this virus will act like a flu virus and die out in the Summer. I would wait until the last possible moment to make a decision. I think a lot of people are making rash decisions based on fear. Since the quarantine of the passengers on the Diamond princess went so badly hopefully that course of action is off the table.

Do you have tangible proof or medical information regarding this.

The flu virus can live on hands roughly 5 mins or up to 24-48 hours on smooth surfaces. Part of the reason for the flu spreading in the winter is the close proximity and indoor climate that occurs in the winter.

This version of the coronavirus can possibly be living on smooth hard surfaces for 9 days. This makes it more dangerous for spreading.

Also you have to account for the flu which people potentially end up with immunity to and why it eventually dies out through not having more hosts to jump to in its short infection time-line when outside the human body.

Roughly 10% of the US gets the flu annually resulting though in a tiny death total of roughly 0.1% while this disease is still just over 2% and has no prevention like the flu shot. To put that in perspective that would be roughly 600k dieing from the Coronavirus while only 30k would die from the Flu if they spread to equal amounts of people at the average of 10% range.

So based on everything I have been following it seems wild speculation that it will just die off. Interested in your sources though if you have some stating that as a good possibility.

As someone who travels extensively in North America this has me on my toes and I have already canceled work trips based on avoid Toronto as an example when news broke there a week prior to me traveling last month.

Governments are taking this extremely serious so to me that signals a need to be cautious myself.

I think most of us are going to have the travel decisions made for us due to flight, cruise, and tour cancellations.

I understand the internal struggle when you have a PIF date coming up soon though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter