Ever buy anything not quite what you wanted but....?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Then something happened that made you realize that what you'd bought was perfect? Maybe it was the shirt that was too big (but was the only size they had) that later shrank to be the perfect size. Or maybe it was what happened to me. I wanted a nice bone china tea cup from the Twinings store, but all they had was one that was huge-about twice the size I really wanted. But then, one day at home, I pulled my tea from the microwave in one of the small cups I had, and boiling water spilled all over my hand-yes, it was as painful as it sounds and took about 3 weeks to heal. But I discovered something-if I fill that big cup about half full with water, it won't spill out and my hand's safe. It was the perfect choice!

re: Ever buy anything not quite what you wanted but....? Then something happened that made you realize that what you'd bought was perfect?

So often!

Short answer:
My Buick Rendezvous was a reluctant purchase that turned out to be "just what we needed." It is a 2005 model year, purchased in 2009. Still have it and it is going strong!

Long answer:
I needed to replace my Bonneville, it was becoming too costly in frequent repairs to keep ... but oh, how I loved that car. The Bonneville was actually my second back-to-back Bonneville. Looking back, I wish I would have moved the engine from B1 into B2. B1's body was falling apart but the engine and drive train were fantastic. B2 had a gorgeous body, leather interior with 9-way power seats, heads up display, sunroof, air compressor, and more ... but a lemon under the hood. Ugh.

The dealership, with whom I had a l-o-n-g relationship thanks to Bonneville repair over the years, pushed a Rendezvous that had just come off lease from the PGA. Yeah, there was window smashed out and a few minor blemishes (being a PGA tour car is, apparently, difficult work!) ... but the vehicle was low miles, had all the bells and whistles and the blemishes could be easily repaired.

But I didn't love it. The handling felt like a mini-van; not anything like my powerful and responsive Bonnevilles nor the much-loved Ford Bronco 4x4 before the Bonnevilles. Mini-van? Not ready for that. Nope. The dealer kept pushing. The Rendezvous is decked in features: heads up display, leather interior, 3rd row (seats 7), auto-leveling air bag suspension, air compressor, large interior cargo space if seats are folded down, etc. Yep, it "checks the boxes" but I didn't love it. It wasn't what I wanted.

We purchased it after acknowledging the regret. Over time, that Buick proved itself.
  • Turns out we've filled all 7 seats more often that I would have ever imagined. Useful!
  • That large cargo space is awesome! We can do large Costco runs (we live about 30 miles outside town and thus do fewer runs but larger loads). I can haul hay home; up to 4 bales, if I must. While 4 is difficult to clean afterwards, picking up just 2 bales, along with 80lb sacks of pelleted feed, is easy to load and easy to clean. Cool!
  • It is our "stealth" car. Our trucks are very visible; everyone on the highway recognizes them. The Buick is "just another black crossover" and nobody recognizes it. Cool!
  • It is dependable. It is a really good vehicle. We are so blessed to have it.
In DVC context, our purchase of SSR is a similar story. We knew we wanted BWV (hence my handle on this forum). But we purchased SSR. Long story ... but we've come to love our choice over time!

@Simba's Mom , be safe! Thanks for sharing the lesson from your oversized mug. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter