Everglades, Outlet Shopping & other attractions near Miami

IamgoingtoDisney

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I hope this is ok to post here. I did a search but there hasnt been any recent talk about the Everglades

We are from Australia & wanting to see as much of the area we can while we are on the other side of the world. So far we are going on a Disney cruise to Bahamas, Kennedy Space Centre, transfer to Miami for a few nights including a (very long) drive to Key West, Sea World, Universal & of course WDW. We will be away for close to 3 weeks.

While we are around Miami I am wanting to go on an airboat. Which company do you recommend?
Which Outlet shopping centre should we visit?
Any recommendations on places to stay at Miami Beach (somewhere with laundry facilities), somewhere close to the action but also family friendly.

Any other suggestions for our trip of a lifetime? Family of 4 inc DD12 & DS10

Thank you so much in advance

We went on an airboat ride in the Everglades last year. We ended up going with Everglades Safari Park (http://www.evergladessafaripark.com/), which was pretty good. It is probably one of the larger operators in the area, and it is pretty touristy, so it may not be what you are looking for. I think if you look on TripAdvisor, you could find more private/semi-private and educational experiences. The other one I looked at was Buffalo Tiger (http://www.buffalotigersflevergladesairboattours.com/). I think I chose Everglades Safari Park because of a Groupon or some other deal, plus it was very convenient for a quick stop when we were driving home to north Florida from the Keys.

While we are around Miami I am wanting to go on an airboat. Which company do you recommend?

I can't make a personal recommendation for an airboat because the thought of being surrounded by water with alligators is the stuff of nightmares. But, I did work out at Everglades Holiday Park one day for a project. Although it's close to the metro area, it does feel as though you are out in the middle of nowhere. They offer airboat rides and animal shows.

https://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

Which Outlet shopping centre should we visit?

You might want to consider visiting Sawgrass Mills. It's an outlet mall with 350 stores. Aside from stores, there are lots of full-service restaurants, a Super Target, and a movie theatre. It's wildly popular with tourists.

http://www.simon.com/mall/sawgrass-mills

Note: Both Everglades Holiday Park and Sawgrass Mills are in Broward County (just north of Miami-Dade County). They are about 15 miles apart. Depending on how long you plan to spend at each, you could do both in the same day.

Any recommendations on places to stay at Miami Beach (somewhere with laundry facilities), somewhere close to the action but also family friendly.

I live very near Fort Lauderdale Beach. Generally speaking, I think Fort Lauderdale Beach is more kid-friendly than Miami Beach/South Beach. If you're not dead set on staying in Miami, it might be worth investigating as a possibility.

IMPORTANT: Neither Fort Lauderdale Beach nor Miami Beach is kid-friendly during Spring Break. Spring Break lasts for several weeks (depending on when colleges take their vacations). It's usually between mid-March and the beginning of April each year.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. It really helps as I have no idea. I am just looking at things I have heard of so it helps to hear from people who live there or have visited. We are going at Christmas/New Year - I know not ideal but that is the only time of the year we can go because of work.

I will definitely look into Fort Lauderdale and those airboat suggestions. Sawgrass Mills sounds great too. I was looking at Dolphin Mall but Sawgrass Mills seems a lot bigger & I like your suggestion of fitting airboat & shopping into the same day. This is the type of info I am after - thank you

Also, any New Years Eve suggestions? We will probably be in Miami. We are keeping DW till last in hope of the crowds will go down after the Christmas/New Year period.

Putting Disney World after New Year's is very smart. Crowds certainly will diminish as you get into that first week of January. And, I'd definitively choose Sawgrass Mills over Dolphin Mall.

You also might consider a visit to the Little Havana neighborhood that is southeast of Downtown Miami. If you are unfamiliar with regional history, many Cubans fled the island after Castro came to power and settled in Miami. They brought their cultural traditions, many of which can be seen along Calle Ocho (Spanish for 8th Street). You'll get some Caribbean flavor on your cruise to the Bahamas, but Little Havana might be different enough to warrant an trip. Since it's a neighborhood, there's no official website. But, the Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau has some information on various neighborhoods:

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/

As far as New Year's Eve in Miami goes, I can't help much. I think the key to success if going to be to find something that is walking distance from your hotel. The last thing you'll want is to have to deal with a car that night. First, traffic will likely be extra crazy. Second, people will be drunk and stupid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter