Every Mile is a Miracle

Errrrr. So. I don’t mean to cause alarm. But please keep an eye on the weather now. And yes I know I told you last week not to worry yet. But there’s chatter about how Hurricane Florence night impact us. Watch the WaPo.

Race Weather Update:

Excuse me, Flo... What's the Soup De Jour?
It's the soup of the day...
giphy.gif

BASICALLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT HURRICANE FLORENCE INTRUDING ON MY RACE WEEKEND.
giphy.gif

But seriously, I don't even know how to run a race in the rain? And in my head I am pretty much running Boston 2018. I love the rain but I just don't think I would love 13.1 miles of it..... Someone tell the rain gods to calm down just a little.

HFlo.JPG

weather.JPG

Race Weather Update:

Excuse me, Flo... What's the Soup De Jour?
It's the soup of the day...
giphy.gif

BASICALLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT HURRICANE FLORENCE INTRUDING ON MY RACE WEEKEND.
giphy.gif

But seriously, I don't even know how to run a race in the rain? And in my head I am pretty much running Boston 2018. I love the rain but I just don't think I would love 13.1 miles of it..... Someone tell the rain gods to calm down just a little.

View attachment 349983

View attachment 349984

Check the wind projection. That might be more an issue than rain (as long as no flooding).

I feel like I am a being a bit dramatic here but I can cancel my hotel in DC, get my flights to Dopey taken care of, defer my race to next year, and not have to worry about running in rain or humidity if I can just find a different race to run this weekend.

*does a google search*

Okay, found a race in Utah that is a 4.5 hour drive from me with gorgeous views on the course. I might really cancel my trip this weekend... The weather for this race would be so perfect. Ughhhh. I don't know what to do. I hate making decisions.

ETA: The race I found is called the Hurricane Half Marathon because it's in Hurricane, UT and that makes me love the connection between this so much.

You can totally run in the rain tho. BOTH half marathons I ran this year were in the rain - yesterday’s was DUMPING. just wear a hat and splash in the puddles :)

No shame in having a backup plan tho - the amount of rain we have already had makes this storm more impactful (ground saturated already). But then we couldn’t get to do our DIS-drinks!

I feel like I am a being a bit dramatic here but I can cancel my hotel in DC, get my flights to Dopey taken care of, defer my race to next year, and not have to worry about running in rain or humidity if I can just find a different race to run this weekend.

*does a google search*

Okay, found a race in Utah that is a 4.5 hour drive from me with gorgeous views on the course. I might really cancel my trip this weekend... The weather for this race would be so perfect. Ughhhh. I don't know what to do. I hate making decisions.

ETA: The race I found is called the Hurricane Half Marathon because it's in Hurricane, UT and that makes me love the connection between this so much.

I LOVE this. I love your attitude more. You can run in rain, but it will not be the same race you have been imagining. I was quite proud of my rain race and think of it as my 'downpour PR.' However, I do not believe you can run in a tropical storm.

So I ran during Tropical Storm Gordon last week...the rain was not the issue, it was the wind gusts that made me feel like I was going to blow away and blowing the rain sideways under my hat and into my eyes. I think I would defer, transfer everyone and run the Hurricane Half Marathon to be safe, because if the name of that race is not fate then I don't know what is. Also, not sure when you are supposed to fly into DC, but that may also be impacted as well. :eek:

I want to make a decision today because tomorrow is the latest I can cancel my hotel for free. The main reason that this is such a big deal to me is that a) I have been training for this race for 17 weeks and b) this is my last PoT attempt for Marathon weekend. Bonus: not going to D.C. is really gonna save me some money and this might be a big deciding factor for me….

But I went ahead and did some Pros and Cons for each race.

Navy Air Force Half Marathon
Pros:
- Already planned and booked
- Flat course
- AWESOME medal
- Running around D.C.
- Seeing old and new friends

Cons:
- Hurricane Florence
- Running in rain & wind
- Running in suuuuper high humidity
- Have to fly, into a storm

Hurricane Half Marathon
Pros:
- Driving distance (only 4.5 hours)
- PERFECT weather (64 degrees)
- Only have to take one day off work
- Gorgeous views
- Has Pacers!!
- The medal is traditionally really big

Cons:
- Hilly course
- Like, really hilly
- I did a search on Instagram and woman who has ran Boston and is way faster than me commented on how hilly it is and how everyone’s times were slower than usual

Someone help me make this decision!

This is a really tough call. What airport are you flying into? What day? Have travel advisories been issued? My biggest worry would be getting there and the potential of having my flight cancelled last minute or getting stranded on a layover.

Man! That's a tough one, so not sure I'm going to be very helpful. @Bree has good questions.

You did say you didn't have to cancel until tomorrow right? Maybe give it one more day to see if the storm track changes at all??? It could possibly make landfall a bit more to the south and the DC would mostly dodge the bullet.

This is a really tough call. What airport are you flying into? What day? Have travel advisories been issued? My biggest worry would be getting there and the potential of having my flight cancelled last minute or getting stranded on a layover.
I am flying into Baltimore on Friday, two days before the race. Southwest says that there might be delays to BWI but nothing showing it as cancelled or delayed now.

You did say you didn't have to cancel until tomorrow right? Maybe give it one more day to see if the storm track changes at all???
Yeah, I have until Wednesday at 5pm. I could give it one more day....

I lean towards the Utah one because it would double suck to get there and then have the race canceled entirely.
That definitely worries me. I was really looking forward to drinking in DC because the beer options doesn't look nearly as good in Utah.

Just to lighten the mood a little...
37141389_307235649828500_3377997916816929985_n.jpg
This is perfect! Hahahahaha.

Just be prepared for so many people to call it the Hurricun Half Marathon. Because yes, that's how the locals pronounce the name of the city.

Someone help me make this decision!
If you're looking at corral placement for a race that may not have ideal weather conditions, and said less than ideal weather conditions may force the cancellation of the race entirely, then maybe a deferral to next year is the better decision right now. Especially since it sounds like they may already have to recertify the course this late in the game.

Note that I would actually rather run the race you already have scheduled, but thought I'd throw out some factors that may influence your decision especially with deferral to next year an option and some specific purposes for a race at this time.

I vote for the Hurricane (Utah) half, based on 4 things:

1. The name makes it seem like it's thumbing it's nose at Florence.
2. In your presentation of pros and cons, you seem (to me) to be making the case for Utah. The question is: are you giving up a PR attempt because of the hills and are you OK with that?
3. Elimination of uncertainty. Even if you make it to DC, as @Keels pointed out, there's still the possibility that the race gets canceled. Also, Ubering/driving/taxi-ing around a flooded city probably isn't much fun.
4. Beer options in Utah. You're driving, pack it in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts