Everything Park Hopping - Please Read Post 1

If I’m wanting to hop from magic kingdom to Hollywood studios, it looks like I can use the bus. Is this a fairly easy/quick ride? How much time should it normally take. Summertime.
To get from park entrance to park entrance I would allow 60 mins.

You will need to walk to the bus stop from MK entrance then wait for the bus. This is the biggest unknown time wise. A bus may be ready to leave so there will be no wait or, you could wait 20+ mins. Buses normally run every 20 mins but we have occasionally experienced longer waits.

Ride between parks is approx 10-15 mins.

Once at DHS you will need to walk to the park, go through security, and tap into DHS.

If you are going to DHS for a dining reservation, it is recommended you allow 75-90 mins to get there.

If I’m wanting to hop from magic kingdom to Hollywood studios, it looks like I can use the bus. Is this a fairly easy/quick ride? How much time should it normally take. Summertime.
an hour should cover you in most circumstances, but be prepared for a moderate wait and a long walk. We did this hop in August, waited about 10-15 minutes for a bus, then sat on the bus a while (maybe a shift change?), then had to walk from the absolute farthest bus stop to HS gates along baking hot concrete. It’s probably not that long of a walk, but it will be the standard for overheating in my house for years.

So here's a specific question that probably few people have experienced or even tried:

Since there are no restrictions on time any more, could someone who has a hotel reservation tap into a park that opens for Early Entry at the park that they have a park pass for, then leave and go to another park and still go in during early entry or rope drop it?

In other words, the specific example I'm trying to figure out: we're going down for the weekend of 5/4, and my cousin who lives in the area may join us on 5/4. We have park reservations for Hollywood Studios (we have DVC APs) on 5/4. Park reservations are filled for DHS that day, even if you have a hotel reservation (we added my cousin to our reservation). The other parks are all available, so I was thinking if she still wants to come with us that day, she could go to another park right when it opens then just hop over and meet us in DHS. So I was wondering if there'd be any issues going to one park right at opening, tapping in, then going to another park. Where it really gets interesting is that Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom open 30 minutes earlier than DHS that day (and Early Entry is 30 minutes earlier on each). So what if she went to AK at 7:30 for early entry, immediately left, and still got to DHS in time for rope drop early entry there (8:00)?

You can do this except it would not be straight forward and take more time than you are planning. Transportation between parks does not begin at park opening as transportation is busy taking guests from resorts to the parks, not park to park. You could go to AK tap in but then you would need to take a bus to a resort then another bus to DHS. You could try to bus to CBR or Pop then take the Skyliner to DHS but again, this is not possible in 30 mins.

You can do this except it would not be straight forward and take more time than you are planning. Transportation between parks does not begin at park opening as transportation is busy taking guests from resorts to the parks, not park to park. You could go to AK tap in but then you would need to take a bus to a resort then another bus to DHS. You could try to bus to CBR or Pop then take the Skyliner to DHS but again, this is not possible in 30 mins.
With the cousin living in the area they probably will have a car and could drive to HS from AK. Another option: go to MK first, then walk to Contemporary and take a bus from there to HS.

With the cousin living in the area they probably will have a car and could drive to HS from AK. Another option: go to MK first, then walk to Contemporary and take a bus from there to HS.
I assume MK is full of DHS is, it also may not open as early. An Uber from MK to DHS would probably be fastest? I don’t know how it works at WDW, but at DL I know you can get tripped up if you move too quickly between DL and DCA, at least it triggered an alert for us a few years ago (2022?) when I could get around faster and made a very short visit to DCA before crossing back over to DL… a different cast member eventually came over and cleared it.

Another thought— we have missed all of DHS early entry before getting stuck in security queues… I really think the poster may want to plan to meet their local friend after the rope drop rush (or at the exit of the first ride) instead of trying to find them with a narrow margin for error in a crush of people.

So here's a specific question that probably few people have experienced or even tried:

Since there are no restrictions on time any more, could someone who has a hotel reservation tap into a park that opens for Early Entry at the park that they have a park pass for, then leave and go to another park and still go in during early entry or rope drop it?

In other words, the specific example I'm trying to figure out: we're going down for the weekend of 5/4, and my cousin who lives in the area may join us on 5/4. We have park reservations for Hollywood Studios (we have DVC APs) on 5/4. Park reservations are filled for DHS that day, even if you have a hotel reservation (we added my cousin to our reservation). The other parks are all available, so I was thinking if she still wants to come with us that day, she could go to another park right when it opens then just hop over and meet us in DHS. So I was wondering if there'd be any issues going to one park right at opening, tapping in, then going to another park. Where it really gets interesting is that Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom open 30 minutes earlier than DHS that day (and Early Entry is 30 minutes earlier on each). So what if she went to AK at 7:30 for early entry, immediately left, and still got to DHS in time for rope drop early entry there (8:00)?
Rereading this, I don’t think there is any way possible for your cousin to tap into another park then still navigate to meet you in time for DHS ETPE. Logistics are just too great and travel time takes too long between parks.

I would recommend to continue trying to get them a DHS reservation or, arrange for them to meet you at DHS when they arrive, after ETPE is over.

I assume MK is full of DHS is, it also may not open as early. An Uber from MK to DHS would probably be fastest? I don’t know how it works at WDW, but at DL I know you can get tripped up if you move too quickly between DL and DCA, at least it triggered an alert for us a few years ago (2022?) when I could get around faster and made a very short visit to DCA before crossing back over to DL… a different cast member eventually came over and cleared it.

Another thought— we have missed all of DHS early entry before getting stuck in security queues… I really think the poster may want to plan to meet their local friend after the rope drop rush (or at the exit of the first ride) instead of trying to find them with a narrow margin for error in a crush of people.
Bad assumption. MK is available for AP passholders that day. The reason that DHS is full on May 4 is that it is Star Wars day. Overall, that day should be no more crowded than a normal Saturday at the other parks. Early Entry at MK is at 7:30 that morning.

Bad assumption. MK is available for AP passholders that day. The reason that DHS is full on May 4 is that it is Star Wars day. Overall, that day should be no more crowded than a normal Saturday at the other parks. Early Entry at MK is at 7:30 that morning.
So MK is the better park option, unless it’s rope drop traffic is worse. I forgot that you can’t get Ubers directly from the front of the park and need to go to TTC…so I guess their best hope is getting a Minnie Van quickly and taking it to DHS? I personally would still not try to meet up with someone in that rush who only has a hope of making it if everything goes perfectly…not sure how morning rope drop rush impacts the actual driving time between parks. Also, does anybody know if Disney still lets rope droppers scan in before the 30m early entry—ot would help if they are willing to show up at park 1 before 7 to be at the front of the line.

Also, I still don’t know if anybody had actually confirmed they will be let in right at park open with a park hopper—you’d think at least a few people would have tried it at EPCOT by now…

What time does Epcot open on the day you are wanting to go? If it's at the same time as HS, it might almost be quicker to tap in at the International Gate and take the Skyliner over than having a half hour earlier tap-in at AK or MK and using buses/other transport (but if Epcot opens later this wouldn't work).

What time does Epcot open on the day you are wanting to go? If it's at the same time as HS, it might almost be quicker to tap in at the International Gate and take the Skyliner over than having a half hour earlier tap-in at AK or MK and using buses/other transport (but if Epcot opens later this wouldn't work).
On May 4, AK and MK open for early entry at 7:30, DHS opens for early entry at 8:00, and Epcot opens for early entry at 8:30.

So MK is the better park option, unless it’s rope drop traffic is worse. I forgot that you can’t get Ubers directly from the front of the park and need to go to TTC…so I guess their best hope is getting a Minnie Van quickly and taking it to DHS? I personally would still not try to meet up with someone in that rush who only has a hope of making it if everything goes perfectly…not sure how morning rope drop rush impacts the actual driving time between parks. Also, does anybody know if Disney still lets rope droppers scan in before the 30m early entry—ot would help if they are willing to show up at park 1 before 7 to be at the front of the line.

Also, I still don’t know if anybody had actually confirmed they will be let in right at park open with a park hopper—you’d think at least a few people would have tried it at EPCOT by now…
You can walk over from MK and catch an Uber (or a bus to HS) at Contemporary.

Data point - I was there last month on an 8am MK opening, 7:30 ETPE and they opened the taps at 7am sharp. Quite fun to be at the front of that line when trying to get a Tron VQ and 1st Genie reservation.

You can walk over from MK and catch an Uber (or a bus to HS) at Contemporary.

Data point - I was there last month on an 8am MK opening, 7:30 ETPE and they opened the taps at 7am sharp. Quite fun to be at the front of that line when trying to get a Tron VQ and 1st Genie reservation.
I know you're being sarcastic but that sounds like the opposite of my idea of a good time! It does seem like good advice for the person who wants to meet up with their friends. Frankly, if you can tap in at 7:00 and then head back out by 7:05, you probably have more flexibility to get over to DHS... but I'd still be worried about how difficult it is to get a ride share at the peak rush hour from a hotel (lots of competition) vs. at a park (where there's tons of empty rideshares needing passengers)-- but I don't know anything about the traffic patterns at Contemporary because we haven't stayed there.

I know you're being sarcastic but that sounds like the opposite of my idea of a good time! It does seem like good advice for the person who wants to meet up with their friends. Frankly, if you can tap in at 7:00 and then head back out by 7:05, you probably have more flexibility to get over to DHS... but I'd still be worried about how difficult it is to get a ride share at the peak rush hour from a hotel (lots of competition) vs. at a park (where there's tons of empty rideshares needing passengers)-- but I don't know anything about the traffic patterns at Contemporary because we haven't stayed there.
I imagine there would be some people taking Uber to Contemporary for Chef Mickeys or Steakhouse 71 breakfast reservations. But you could luck out and catch a bus and probably get there at least before the end of early entry.

How likely is it that I could park hop to Hollywood Studios first thing after tapping in at Epcot on May 4? Will the park be at such a capacity later in the day that I wouldn't be able to park hop?

How likely is it that I could park hop to Hollywood Studios first thing after tapping in at Epcot on May 4? Will the park be at such a capacity later in the day that I wouldn't be able to park hop?
You should be able to, especially early on but there is no guarantee as I've heard of many with this planned since DHS is full for some/all park reservations and May 4 is popular at DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter