Exercise Regimen To Prepare For All That Walking

It IS a lot of walking!

My first tip would be not to use a treadmill but I know not everyone has the same experience with what motivates them, or access to safe and comfortable outdoor walking. I can't stand treadmills and find it's a lot easier to walk outside, even if it's cold. Plus, the natural ground, with it's inclines and quirks, is more like what you'll be walking on at the parks.

I hate socks, especially when it's hot, so I try to get used to walking in the footwear that I'm going to wear at the parks. I wore slip ons (Toms) for the first part of the hot days and hearty flip flops for the second. I had sock-less sneakers also but only wore those at AK and was glad for it, since there was more dirt/mud/wet on the ground there.

Remember that you will be taking rests and not walking consistently the whole time! Even when you do walk, you'll be standing still, sitting for a little while, etc. Factor that in to your planning, especially the standing, which can be as draining from time to time.

You sound like you are on your way though, so I'm sure all will be well!

Great job preparing ahead of time!

Agree with everyone about starting slow and good footwear.

I bring a tennis ball and recently a wooden travel foot massage roller and roll my feet every night.

I don't think the walking is a problem. I work a desk job 9-5 and don't walk much during the day, and have never had sore legs or anything like that in Disney because, as others have said, you're never walking too far at once without stopping (for a ride, the bathroom, to go in a store, anything). It is tons and tons of walking, but to me, it never really feels like it. What always does my lower back in is the standing still. I'm really not sure how to get around that - I haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited:

Unless you are totally sedentary in your daily life I would not worry too much about it. Just get some good shoes. Especially for 3 days.

I want to start walking on the treadmill at the gym so I am prepared for three days of walking around the theme parks. Does anyone have a walking regimen that they do to prepare before they go to Disney? Are there any resources that have any walking regimens? Our trip isn't until the end of next summer but I know I need to start early. I haven't been to the gym in awhile but I went today and walked on the treadmill for an hour and now EVERYTHING hurts (my lower back especially). Help!!! :faint:

This advice is given assuming you are otherwise healthy, and have been to your doctor and are cleared for exercise. As others have said, start slow. If you are unfit an hour is way too much when first starting. At this point take at least a couple of days off to allow your body to rebuild and repair itself before you go back into the gym. When you go back, do 15-20 minutes. If you feel any pain, stop there for the day. Do some light stretching after your walk since your muscles are warmed up then and you can stretch more easily. I looked at both plans- the couch to 5k one is a good starting point- the other one is no where near a plan for beginners IMHO. Just build from 15 minutes or so a day- and add a little bit every few days. Shoes are very important. If you are prone to low back pain you may want to consider orthotics to address this issue. Make sure your shoes are WALKING shoes if that is going to be your exercise of choice. The last (the bottom part of the shoe) is cut differently for different types of exercise- which is why makers label them as shoes to be used for a given activity. I wear both New Balance and Asics- both of these brands make excellent walking shoes. I use aftermarket insoles in all of my shoes that are designed to help with low back pain. Lastly, use this regimen as a starting point to stay active the rest of your life. Walking every day for at least 20-30 minutes will greatly improve the quality of your life- it doesn't have to be huge chunks of time every single day. Quite a number of years ago I was injured pretty badly. After spending a couple of years in Physical Therapy, I started on my own. The first day I walked to the end of the driveway, past the mailbox a couple of hundred yards, then returned home. I slowly built up until I was walking 2 hours a day- often hiking on rough terrain. It took a long time to get there, but it's doable. Just start slow, don't get frustrated, and keep plugging away at it until you reach your distance and/or time goals.

I don't think the walking is a problem. I work a desk job 9-5 and don't walk much during the day, and have never had sore legs or anything like that in Disney because, as others have said, you're never walking too far at once without stopping (for a ride, the bathroom, to go in a store, anything). It is tons and tons of walking, but to me, it never really feels like it. What always does my lower back in is the standing still. I'm really not sure how to get around that - I haven't figured it out yet.

I agree with this. I think the hype over having to "practice" walking so much before a trip is very much overblown, IMO. Yes, it's a lot of walking, but it's not running a half or full marathon. The walking really isnt' the challenge for most people. It's the standing. No real solution to that, except stretching and taking breaks and sitting when you can.

Standing properly takes a bit of practice, especially if you have a little bit of a swayback or weak back muscles in general.

I have a swayback and when I was in the military reserves (young, fit, best physical condition of my life), I found standing for 20 minutes on parade was incredibly difficult. It caused me a lot of pain, until someone actually took me aside to teach me how to stand.

1. Feet, shoulder width apart.

2. Put your weight on your heels. Stay relaxed and loose.

3. Rock, slightly. Move your feet. Wiggle your toes. Shift your weight from side to side.

4. Try to keep your pelvis from tilting forward and putting strain on your lower back - focus on keeping it tucked back.

Hands can be held in front or behind you, or even in your pockets, what ever is most comfortable (you are not, after all, on parade). ;) But if you are carrying something, put it down at your feet. Being off balance puts more strain on your back. Similarly, if you have a backpack or purse, put it down. Loop the strap through your ankle, if you're worried you might walk off without it. If you absolutely can't put down your parcels, then keep shifting them from one shoulder to the other.

After awhile standing like this becomes second nature. And, when you're back in your hotel room, make sure to get down on the floor and do some back stretches.

As for the OP - I must say I guess I walk a lot in my daily life, because I've never found the walking in Disney World to be particularly challenging. Standing, on the other hand, that's tough! In general, when it comes to exercise, I prefer floor exercises (push ups, curls, etc), using my own weight to build strength. I try to keep up with it all year round (I have neck/pinched-nerve issues and it's important to do, so I'm not in pain), though an upcoming Disney trip can sometimes be nicely motivating. That's more from a vanity perspective, though, than because Disney is particularly challenging from a physical fitness perspective.

Good for you! You'll feel better, overall, by moving and working your muscles.

Does your gym offer classes? If so, try different ones so that your muscles get a variety of stress. It will help with the endurance needed to get through the day with less discomfort. I'll add my +1 to working on core muscles to protect your back. Machines, yoga, pilates, and/or a simple strength training program, like calisthenics, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength, will all help you.

It is a lot of standing. That gets to me more than the walking. My generic Aleve is a must!

Just saw you post and agree 100%. I hate treadmills and love cotton socks - no synthetics for me no matter what the 'professionals' say!! I, too, stick with the same shoes for 10 days and my feet are just fine!

My favorites are actually wool! SmartWool makes awesome running socks (they are lightweight and not at all like wool hiking socks).

The main reason I bring extra shoes is because I hate walking around in wet sneakers, and we seem to always visit theme parks on rainy days. I also appreciate the extra insurance in case my shoes, which normally fit well and are comfortable, begin rubbing or irritating my feet when I suddenly ramp up to 10 days.

But! I would say the fact that so many people disagree with me is all the more reason to make sure that you've broken in your shoes and made sure that you're happy with your sock choice, because it really can make a difference!

Disney world is not flat! So I just wanted to add that your walking program needs to include inclines, both up and down. There are entirely different muscles associated with going uphill and downhill, so if you are only training on level surfaces you still might find yourself pretty sore when you begin walking on the inclines at Disney.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it! It’s not like you are walking ten miles straight through. There is a lot of standing plus sitting during rides, buses, shows and meals too so you get to rest plenty Our first trip my four year old twins walked seven days straight without a stroller and they have tiny little legs! Unless you have health concerns, you will be fine

• Start slow and build up. You have plenty of time. Be sure to stretch before and after.
  • Do lunges and/or squats to help strengthen your upper legs.
  • You spend a lot of time in line standing, so be prepped for that because that takes more out of my feet than walking.
  • You want a good pair of worn in shoes. Some people can walk around in flip flops all day. For me, I wear a pair of running shoes that is mostly mesh material. It allows my feet to breath and stay cool. I also bring a second pair of different style sneaker. The second pair is in case the 1st pair gets wet and the different style is in case I get a hot spot or blister.
  • Be sure to tie a runner's knot. this will help prevent rubbing and thus blisters.
  • A good pair of cotton socks with extra spandex or lycra in spots for support and massage. Also a wicking material to keep the feet dry. Wet feet is almost guaranteed blisters. Look for running socks. Another option might be to look for sock liners. I use these when I go hiking and they are fabulous in my hiking shoes with padded wool socks.

I walk for a half hour each day for exercise and to relax.

But, walking at Disney isn't like just walking for exercise. You're not going to be able to keep the same pace you do when you walk for exercise. You will go slower since you will have others walking with you. You will be slowed down by crowds. You'll have to stop and start to avoid people, scooters, and strollers. You'll also be standing a lot in line - IMHO, I find that its the standing that does me in, not the walking.

Our first trip as a family to WDW (my wife and I had been seperately before we were married) was a spur of the moment, 30 days out. Being the tail end of winter, and battling colds, didn't leave enough time for her and the kids to walk a lot. They ended up doing fine.

For a walking workout, I really like Leslie Sansone's DVDs. She combines walking with simple aerobics moves that hit your muscles in different ways. I used her 5 day walk program to get back into exercise after I had my son. I also recommend mixing in yoga to help avoid injuries.

yeah...we logged our steps fitbit style last week.... on a nonpark day we easily hit 12,000....on a park day it was about 24,000+ easily. So that's equal to 8+ miles per day - to prepare, just walk a lot. Your body will be more used to it by the time you go,and always wear broken in comfort shoes to Disney.

I run the Art Museum steps in Philadelphia and use a stair master cold months (such as now).

I highly recommend a stair master.

I kept track the last time we went. We walked about 5-7 miles per day. I walked about 30 minutes per day to get ready, and it helped. I'd say do what you can do, but don't panic. My husband never "trains" and he does just as well.

We don't have little kids, so we skip the midday break back at the hotel unless we want to see an evening show. The trip back to the hotel adds a lot of steps.

These are all great suggestions. I’d recommend a Fitbit or something like that to count your steps before you leave so you can get an idea of how far you normally walk.

We tended to average over 20,000 steps staying at a Disney Springs Resort.

The type of shoes you wear is important also. I recommend a lightweight running shoe like Mizuno. Going to a running store and having them give you a recommendation as to what type of shoe is best for your walking/running pattern is helpful also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter