Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

I think for the most part they always knew, but due to the very limited resources; they didn't feel the risk to all outweighed the risk to those who had higher risks not having them, so they only recommended for those being exposed etc.

I’m no expert but I always felt that covering your face in someway had to be helpful. I was thinking at the time that they didn’t want people hoarding masks so they said they didn’t work. Since then I’ve come to understand some of the differences in masks. I’m still not wearing one. Just stating home at the moment.

I have read about 5 articles about this and the advice very close to the same. They were not lying to us before - they just did not realize how easily this spreads when people remain asymptomatic. IMO, they should have changed this advice weeks ago but chose not to do so to avoid PPE stock from being bought up by individuals since it is needed far more by healthcare workers, but that is just a guess.

Previous advice - masks will not help you avoid catching the virus out in public spaces, especially of you were practicing social distancing. But they added that people who had the virus should wear a mask to avoid spreading it to others.

The current advice - masks will not help you avoid catching the virus out in public spaces, especially of you were practicing social distancing. People who have the virus should wear a mask to avoid spreading it to others. But, and this is why the advice is changing, since any of us could have the virus and not know it, we should all be wearing masks.

I will not use a face mask if it means a front line health care worker won't have one. Boom. I did watch something from a pulmonologist which made sense to me. This is NOT an airborne disease (unless you have a job that requires you to be in close contact with someone who has Covid 19 for extended periods of time in a closed environment...aka health care workers). For the rest of us, the almost exclusive avenue of transmission is touching something that has the Covid virus (a surface or a person with the illness) and THEN touching our face. If we know where are hands are, and you pay attention to that, you won't get it. Now, this doctor did say that wearing a mask when you leave your home might make sense if you can't train yourself not to touch your face (ANY mask...a bandana, a halloween mask...not a medical grade mask) because it (for whatever reason) tends to keep us from touching our faces. I'm NOT that paranoid about this after watching his hour long video. Stay away from others as much as possible. WASH YOUR HANDS (or use sanitizer) anytime you must go out and touch anything you are not 100% sure of, and you won't have an issue. Front line medical care workers are desperate for those medical grade masks and I'll be damned if I'm going to take even ONE away from them.

I will not use a face mask if it means a front line health care worker won't have one. Boom. I did watch something from a pulmonologist which made sense to me. This is NOT an airborne disease (unless you have a job that requires you to be in close contact with someone who has Covid 19 for extended periods of time in a closed environment...aka health care workers). For the rest of us, the almost exclusive avenue of transmission is touching something that has the Covid virus (a surface or a person with the illness) and THEN touching our face. If we know where are hands are, and you pay attention to that, you won't get it. Now, this doctor did say that wearing a mask when you leave your home might make sense if you can't train yourself not to touch your face (ANY mask...a bandana, a halloween mask...not a medical grade mask) because it (for whatever reason) tends to keep us from touching our faces. I'm NOT that paranoid about this after watching his hour long video. Stay away from others as much as possible. WASH YOUR HANDS (or use sanitizer) anytime you must go out and touch anything you are not 100% sure of, and you won't have an issue. Front line medical care workers are desperate for those medical grade masks and I'll be damned if I'm going to take even ONE away from them.

Exactly. If it's a choice between me and someone in the trenches dealing with sick people every day, I'll take my chances.

Boom. Mte.

I found 2 packs I bought when my grandson was born premature 2 yrs ago, we had them when people came over.
That was a score, I will use them now when I have to grocery shop.
My husband still working, he's wearing it now.

I think if our nurses and doctors wear them they must do something. They were saying all of that like they were no good so there would be less people hoarding. The nurses and doctors need them! If I had to work around a lot of other people, like a cashier, and I had some, I would be wearing them.

Boom.

Theyve been lying to us about face masks. luckily, most of us had common sense from day one.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/experts-say-face-masks-can-help-slow-covid-19-despite-previous-claims/

I hope you are aware that the article you are posting states that wearing a mask will not help you, just as experts have been saying, but will instead help others, as your saliva and other fluids will have a harder time travelling through the mask than they would if you were to just breathe or cough into open air.
I love that people are wearing masks for that exact reason, but if they breathe in the virus through them (a very low likelihood of inhaling out in the general public anyway, especially with a 6 foot bubble), anything short of a N95 mask wouldn't stop anything from being inhaled.

I’ll take my chances with an n95 mask, protective eyewear and latex gloves along with vigorous antibacterial soap any day of the week.

until my Jetsons food printer is invented, that’s not an option,

Common sense would have dictated better to promote mask wearing, as in South Korea to prevent spread PRIOR TO the point at which ER and ICU stays explode.

Boom.

Theyve been lying to us about face masks. luckily, most of us had common sense from day one.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/experts-say-face-masks-can-help-slow-covid-19-despite-previous-claims/
Of course and "they" finally admitted it about a week or so back. I bought 95 N masks as well as the garden variety version end of Jan/start of Feb before any shortages were widely revealed and glad for it; already attended a form of this rodeo so ignored the half truths and used my common sense.

I get why they skirted the truth since there weren't enough to go around but doesn't change the reality that the government sat around for a month or so doing nothing to replenish the stocks, emergency or otherwise.

They are now required equipment for anyone over the age of 70 in NYS although the governor didn't say where to get them from, LOL. Currently being sold in pharmicies and street vendors in my neighborhood at a substantial markup. Paid $4.99 for a box of 20 single use face masks back at the start of the year. Now being sold for $1.50-$2.00 @ piece.

I think for the most part they always knew, but due to the very limited resources; they didn't feel the risk to all outweighed the risk to those who had higher risks not having them, so they only recommended for those being exposed etc.
I think they were trying to stop a mass hysteria.

I agree.

I think they knew masks were helpful, but they also knew there weren’t enough masks available for everyone.

I mean, there’s got to be a reason why people in Asia wear masks. I know a lot of it is because they’ve been trained to wear masks when sick so as not to get others sick, but, still, when there is an outbreak of something, they all seem to be wearing masks.

However, DH, who is a licensed & trained 1st responder, firmly believes that people who are not used to wearing masks & gloves & aren’t trained in the right way to put them on & take them off actually do more harm than good & end up transferring more germs in the process.

So we aren’t using masks or gloves... although, I have to admit, sometimes, I wish we were... (We don’t have any masks, but I’ve been wondering how effective a bandana would be.).

A few days ago, a friend on FB posted a pic of his N95 masks that had arrived that day in the mail. He had a box of 10. I have NO IDEA how he managed to get N95 masks or how much he paid, but he was keeping 5 for his family & said he was donating the other 5 to a hospital.

He is not a healthcare worker & is currently working from home. So I don’t know why he needs a N95 mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!