Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

Would avoid AMZN for these. Unscrupulous sellers not upfront as to inventory. Google shopping and go pages deep.

Moreover, mask production is through the roof right now so shortages if any should dissipate soon.

K 95 are a little diffrent, i have tried to order those but they get cancled as most of them are fakes. I ordered 3 times and before arrival date all 3 orders got cancled. So the are a lit of fakes out there. I need them for work and cant get them.
Not much different -- according to 3M

Would avoid AMZN for these. Unscrupulous sellers not upfront as to inventory. Google shopping and go pages deep.

Moreover, mask production is through the roof right now so shortages if any should dissipate soon.
Here is one of the first batch I ordered from Amazon -- advertised as a 3M N95. Looks pretty legit to me.

$15 for one mask is highway robbery. But definitely worth it all things considered.

Hell, they may be worth more in a month.

$15 for one mask is highway robbery. But definitely worth it all things considered.

Hell, they may be worth more in a month.
The 3M's were about $18 But Grandma is very vulnerable and we needed them for her caretakers -- so yeah, worth it.

I tried to reorder them and they were not available, but I was able to order the KN95's which are essentially the same thing. They are supposed to arrive this Thursday, and I'll update if they do...or don't.

Boom.

Theyve been lying to us about face masks. luckily, most of us had common sense from day one.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/experts-say-face-masks-can-help-slow-covid-19-despite-previous-claims/

If you stay the recommended 6 feet away from people, stay home unless necessary, and do what you're supposed to do, you don't need a face mask. No one has been lying to you. Don't toot your common sense horn just yet - it's still a risk to go out, face mask or not.

Dr Fauci was just on GMA, and admitted that one of the rationales to telling people not to wear face masks was that if there wasn't enough of them, they have to prioritize them for our healthcare workers and to those that are infected, to protect the healthcare workers from them. [Of course!]

Dr Fauci said, verbatim: "If you pull back and think about it, we're starting to reexamine the possibility that if there ARE enough masks," [coincidentally at the same time that China & South Korea no longer need as many and can start producing them again for the rest of the world, :rolleyes1 ] "should everyone be wearing masks? Those who try to protect themselves and those who are trying to protect others as they might be infected. There was always this feeling that there's not enough masks so we had to prioritize them for healthcare workers and to the infected. But given the situation that we might have enough masks for everyone, I think there's some rationale that we should try to utilize them more than we do at the present time."

Boom. 🎤
I'll be interested in watching the video once GMA posts it.

Here you go, @robinb

Dr Fauci is interviewed by George at the 3:03 min mark:

If you stay the recommended 6 feet away from people, stay home unless necessary, and do what you're supposed to do, you don't need a face mask. No one has been lying to you. Don't toot your common sense horn just yet - it's still a risk to go out, face mask or not.
There is actually no one answer to this. If everyone you contact is young and in good health, you may be right.

But I have a friend whose father has Stage 4 cancer. Does he need a mask? Yes he does, even though he is 35 and healthy. And he also needs to be much more conscious of following other precautions and being extremely careful.

Everybody's situation is different.

I didn't see anything in that article that's any different than what I had already heard/known, so I would definitely not say this is some revelation that contradicts previous lies.

Of course mask do something, but they do not 100% protect you. I thought that had been said all along. People who are sick (coughing or sneezing) should definitely wear a mask (and are provided one at any medical office they enter). For those who are not sick, staying a good distance from people, washing your hands frequently, and not touching your face accomplishes a similar level of protection when out in public.

The argument that health care workers use masks so they MUST be effective doesn't really contradict anything to me either. People in healthcare are not just walking through a room with people with COVID-19 (like you might be at the grocery store). They are dealing more closely with patients (so more likely to be coughed or sneezed on directly in the face). Also, masks are used for protection form other things as well (blood, body fluids, etc). That's like saying just because doctors and nurses wear surgical hoods/helmets when doing joint replacements that they're effective for preventing illnesses and should be worn everywhere.

I'm also curious about the general use of N95 masks. Are people who are buying them just hoping for some protection, but not overly concerned if they're getting the correct one? Our healthcare workers who use N95 masks have to do a fit test at least annually to ensure they are wearing a mask that is properly fitted for their face. You also can't have certain types of facial hair (even stubble) or the mask does not work properly. I haven't seen anything in the news about shaving beards or fit testing the masks (but I may have just not noticed).

WHO reiterated today that they only recommend masks for people who have COVID-19 or are caring for people with COVID-19

"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO executive director of health emergencies program, said during a media briefing in Geneva on Monday.

Wearing a mask may be helpful one way or another for me. However, every one of us who wears a mask is taking a mask from a frontline healthcare worker who needs it more.

oh, yeah...

giphy.gif

For respirators, the fit test isn't that huge of a deal considering it is only done annually. You put the mask on, they tighten it up, then they put you in a hood and spray some stuff. They ask if you smell or taste anything. Then you walk around and they do it again. It's not like they do it every time you have to go into an airborne precautions room. Yes, people should probably shave facial hair to make it work (I'm a woman, so that never came up).

I've been saying masks are necessary all along. Even homemade masks are worthwhile because when everyone wears a mask, their droplets are more limited. We should all wear masks for others. I knew this and bought a bunch quite a while ago, but gave most to my friend who works at the hospital since they are depleting their PPE. So now, I'm working on homemade masks for family using vacuum bags and 2.5 micron carbon filters--made one yesterday and it didn't fit quite right, so I'm going to make some more today. I used a pattern, but I don't think the pattern designer understood the importance of having it be tight.

WHO reiterated today that they only recommend masks for people who have COVID-19 or are caring for people with COVID-19
They're no longer trustworthy to me. People should have one and reuse it (if you go out very infrequently, the virus will die between trips). THAT would protect healthcare workers as well, by lowering number of cases that are overwhelming hospitals.

A neighbor dropped off some home made masks the other night. They are really nice, and much appreciated. IF I wear one outside I’d probably use one of those. But I don’t see the need at this point. If others feel more comfortable that way or have certain circumstances, then more power to them.

Wearing a mask may be helpful one way or another for me. However, every one of us who wears a mask is taking a mask from a frontline healthcare worker who needs it more.

oh, yeah...

I posted a page back to buy one from EBAY. From Sellers from China or South Korea. Now that they have controlled the Coronavirus there, they actually have excess that they don't need. In fact, once China got it under control there, it was on the news that they sent cases upon cases of the surplus to Italy & Greece.

AND I posted a video where Dr Fauci, himself says, "There was always this feeling that there's not enough masks so we had to prioritize them for healthcare workers and to the infected. But given the situation that we might have enough masks for everyone, I think there's some rationale that we should try to utilize them more than we do at the present time."

I posted a page back to buy one from EBAY. From Sellers from China or South Korea. Now that they have controlled the Coronavirus there, they actually have excess that they don't need. In fact, once China got it under control there, it was on the news that they sent cases upon cases of the surplus to Italy & Greece.

I'm good.

@Imzadi thanks for sharing your story! I think there are some unique circumstances living in NYC! I have a niece there as well! The situation at Whole Foods sounds like a nightmare. :scared:

@Imzadi thanks for sharing your story! I think there are some unique circumstances living in NYC! I have a niece there as well! The situation at Whole Foods sounds like a nightmare. :scared:

Thanks, I also heard the Amazon fulfillment center here in Queens closed down for a while as someone was a confirmed case there. And now the Instacart people are protesting as they feel they are working in unsafe conditions without PPE. So, people who are getting food delivered might not be able to rely on that service always being there.

Dr Fauci said the epicenter may be moving and there will be other hot spots flaring up. I repect you don't want to get a mask. Just stay safe. And I hope your niece does too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!