Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

I just watched a very informative video made by an ICU doctor in New York. He said people should wear masks of some kind when they go out in public. This is not because the mask will necessarily stop air droplets. It is because it stops people from touching their faces.

I just watched a very informative video made by an ICU doctor in New York. He said people should wear masks of some kind when they go out in public. This is not because the mask will necessarily stop air droplets. It is because it stops people from touching their faces.
Right. Any kind of mask provides some level of protection from airborne droplets...AND you can't stick your fingers in your mouth or pick your nose. Win, win.

The same is true of gloves. I guarantee if you are wearing gloves, you will not touch your face. You will see the glove coming, your brain will engage, and you will stop...and that's a good thing.

I think you should go back and re-read my post because I apparently didn't make it clear.
  • I ordered and received 3M N95 masks from Amazon. That's the picture I posted. The picture was posted in response to a comment that the N95's might be fake, which they obviously were not.
  • When I tried to re-order N95's, they were not available, but KN95's were available.
  • I researched the KN95's and found that 3M -- the manufacturer of the N95's -- says that KN95 is equivalent. And I posted a screenshot of the 3M statement.
  • I ordered the KN95 masks from Amazon, with free 2-3 day delivery. They are supposed to be shipped from an Amazon fulfillment center, which gives me some additional confidence.
  • I will post an update when I either receive, or don't receive, the masks. And if they are junk, I will also advise that.
In another post, I also mentioned that the reason for using these high quality masks is Grandma's very vulnerable medical condition. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't use them.
I see that now, you ordered the n 95 , when i asked you said to search kn95 , sorry. You ordered the kn 95s later and they havent arrived yet. Got it, lol.

The same is true of gloves. I guarantee if you are wearing gloves, you will not touch your face. You will see the glove coming, your brain will engage, and you will stop...and that's a good thing.

Ehhh... not so fast. I wear nitrile gloves for cooking, especially handling raw meat. I do it so I don't have to wash my hands nearly as often, because I have very sensitive and dry skin that cracks easily. I wear them SO often that I frequently touch my face or brush hair out of my eyes while I am wearing them (although when I have raw chicken juice on them I am much more careful). Simply wearing the gloves does not prevent ME from touching my face. The only thing that does that is a constant mental narrative of "don't touch your face." I literally repeat that to myself over and over again while I am out shopping nowadays.

Ehhh... not so fast. I wear nitrile gloves for cooking, especially handling raw meat. I do it so I don't have to wash my hands nearly as often, because I have very sensitive and dry skin that cracks easily. I wear them SO often that I frequently touch my face or brush hair out of my eyes while I am wearing them (although when I have raw chicken juice on them I am much more careful). Simply wearing the gloves does not prevent ME from touching my face. The only thing that does that is a constant mental narrative of "don't touch your face." I literally repeat that to myself over and over again while I am out shopping nowadays.
Yeah, the mental narrative is really the thing. I normally touch my face way too much, but with all the handwashing and just thinking about it, I've greatly reduced it.

I haven't watch the interview, so he may have stated this too..
We are still better off staying or sheltering at home.

I totally agree. But, there are times where we can't stay home. I had to go to the local supermarket 4 more times after we were initially told to self-isolate. Mainly because the time period to isolate kept being extended here, then there wasn't enough food, and when there was, I made crucial mistakes in buying the right amounts of items. There are just too many people in the supermarket at times.

Other people, like the cashiers, delivery people, some other essential serves where people have to work and interact with others in rather close proximity, they could really use the masks to keep themselves and each other safe. I heard on the news that the Instacart workers who are gathering all the food products to deliver so people won't have to go in, are now protesting that their work conditions are too unsafe. They are demanding PPE to keep them safe.

900 NYPD officers and FDNY are now confirmed to have Coronavirus. 3 police officers have died from the virus. Either they are getting it from each other at the stations, or when they are dealing with the public. :(

President Trump just said in his daily presser that it’s likely that we’ll all have to wear masks for a period of time after stay at home order lapses.

I haven't been able to find a mask here since I started looking the first week of March. I was able to order some homemade ones off of ETSY that provide surprisingly good coverage, that I will be wearing any time I go out and may encounter people. It isn't perfect but is better than nothing. Hopefully, we can get some real masks in stock at some point once our healthcare workers are fully covered.

People who aren't used to wearing masks actually touch their faces more than normal when wearing one.

People who aren't used to wearing masks actually touch their faces more than normal when wearing one.

Exactly- FWIW, the surgeon general just stated the same -studies show that wearing the mask actually leads to more facial touching - just his educated opinion, but heard many experts say same - and read that this microscopic virus can go right thru the cloth masks

Masks are great... but a LOT of people are dumb and don't use them correctly. In one trip to the store I saw people wearing them down around their necks, wearing them so they covered the mouth but not the nose, wearing them on their heads, constantly touching them and their faces, and wearing them too loose. If you don't use it right, it is a waste of resources.
I saw someone pull his down yesterday to smoke a cigarette! Oy!

The mayors of Los Angeles and NYC are now recommending everyone to wear masks when out in public. It can be a scarf or a homemade mask. Anything is better than nothing.

Exactly- FWIW, the surgeon general just stated the same -studies show that wearing the mask actually leads to more facial touching - just his educated opinion, but heard many experts say same - and read that this microscopic virus can go right thru the cloth masks

If you make sure the mask is well fitting, you won't touch it as much if at all. The reason people touch the mask is to keep readjusting it.

The mayors of Los Angeles and NYC are now recommending everyone to wear masks when out in public. It can be a scarf or a homemade mask. Anything is better than nothing.

If you make sure the mask is well fitting, you won't touch it as much if at all. The reason people touch the mask is to keep readjusting it.
I REALLY hope this doesn't give some false sense of security. If possible, social distancing or better yet staying at home is the best option. AND WASH YOUR HANDS!!

Last edited:
I'm starting to get the impression that "wear a mask" is the "duck and cover" of our generation.
Or maybe a security blanket. We now have more information BUT the original guidelines still apply...haven't altered much.

Don't Panic
Wash your Hands
Don't Touch your Face
Stay Home if you Don't Feel Well
Stay Away from SICK People

#FlattenTheCurve

I REALLY this doesn't give some false sense of security. If possible, social distancing or better yet staying at home is the best option. AND WASH YOUR HANDS!!

You're supposed to still do all of that too. :thumbsup2 This is an EXTRA layer of protection for everyone. Not a replacement.

People have to go out food shopping, etc. I JUST got enough food for the lockdown till the end of April. I was celebrating on the stockpile thread over it. Now the NY Gov said we may not hit the apex until 30 days and then need extra days afterward as the curve goes down, which puts us into mid-May. That means I will have to go food shopping during the apex if not sooner.

I REALLY this doesn't give some false sense of security. If possible, social distancing or better yet staying at home is the best option. ANd WASH YOUR HANDS!!
At least in most of NYC I doubt this will lead to people relaxing their guard but it may well give a better sense of security when you do go out. The funny thing about wearing masks is the facial recognition indicators are off. You have to use voice and possibly body language to tell the mood of another.

You're supposed to still do all of that too. :thumbsup2 This is an EXTRA layer of protection for everyone. Not a replacement.

People have to go out food shopping, etc. I JUST got enough food for the lockdown till the end of April. I was celebrating on the stockpile thread over it. Now the NY Gov said we may not hit the apex until 30 days and then need extra days afterward as the curve goes down, which puts us into mid-May. That means I will have to go food shopping during the apex if not sooner.
I realize it's supposed to be in addition to but...some do not understand that or how to wear PPE.

Stay safe and vigilant! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter