Expired cans of tomato sauce & paste???

I shop at a store called Sharp Shopper. They are allowed to sell out of date foods. But not all is out of date. If they have meat products out of date they just freeze them on the expiration date and sell them that way. Prices are great and I haven't found much that is bad (except for some crackers and chips). A real money saver. And the store is always crowded.

Here I was thinking the can was 4 years old! I would definitely toss it in that case, but now that I know the thread is old and it was just over a year old I would have opened it and done a smell & taste test.

I use things past expiry dates quite often.

LOL, me too, I was thinking who would consider a can that was 4 1/2 years past it's expiration???????? But only 2010, different story LOL.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but...

Tomato products are probably one of the worst foods to consider eating past the stamped expiration date because of the acidity of them. It eats away the can lining which almost always contains BPA and leeches into the food product.

I wouldn't eat anything in a can that expired that long ago, but especially not tomatoes.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but...

Tomato products are probably one of the worst foods to consider eating past the stamped expiration date because of the acidity of them. It eats away the can lining which almost always contains BPA and leeches into the food product.

I wouldn't eat anything in a can that expired that long ago, but especially not tomatoes.

Exactly. Non-expired tomatoes have BPA. I don't want to think of the levels of expired ones.

Food banks will not accept expired goods. I think of that as a good guide for food safety for all.

They do here. That's their main source of donations, products beyond their expiration date donated by the local grocery store chains.

The military is still using up supplies of canned food from World War II, and nobody is getting sick, so I think the shelf life is a lot longer than folks think.

Ironic I found this post an hour after finding a can of peaches oozing a black tar substance in my cupboard. :stir:

Actually, no, tomatoes would be one of the best to eat beyond their expiration date because of their high acid content. Much much harder for bacteria to survive in a high acid environment.

I wouldn't use them. Several years ago, I took out a case of canned tomatoes that I had in a cabinet. I had purchased it when they were on sale but, for a few reasons, I stopped eating any kind of tomato sauce so they just sat there.

I pulled them out to give away and noticed they were expired by a year. I called the company and gave them the serial numbers from the end of the cans. She said no way, no how should I use them. She said once canned tomatoes expired (especially by a year or more!) you shouldn't eat them. She gave me the reasoning (i forget) but I had to agree with her.

Throw them away. Not worth getting sick over some cans of tomatoes.

No no don't eat it! I had gotten the worst case of food poisoning after I ate expired ketchup! Who would have thought but it was terrible and now I don't eat anything past the expiration date.

Canned tomatoes used to be notorious for growing botulism-one of the few canned vegetables you had to worry about. You cannot necessarily smell it or taste it-but it can be deadly.

Canned tomatoes used to be notorious for growing botulism-one of the few canned vegetables you had to worry about. You cannot necessarily smell it or taste it-but it can be deadly.

You do realize that you bumped a thread which is FIVE years old? Pretty sure OP has resolved this issue ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter