Exploding Packages: Why?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Shanti, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

Another logical consideration is whether or not it is someone acting in the area they are familiar with. Bottom line, I hope they track down the attacker and put a stop to it because people are getting hurt.

2. AustinTink

AustinTink DIS Veteran

Shanti, do you live in East Austin? We are on the opposite end of town from the area where the explosions took place, but we visit downtown and the east side often. I'm heading there today actually. I'm a bit worried about going, but you can't let the bad guys win.

Shanti likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. NFLDERS

NFLDERS Canada

And, killed. :(

5. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Racism isnt a mental illness. It's just a disgusting character trait.

This shouldn't still be happening in 2018. We need to rise above all this stupid hate.

JaneBanks, PollyannaMom and Shanti like this.
  6. Pacolovestacos

Pacolovestacos DIS Veteran

Again, we still don't know that this is a case of racism.

ImAllEars, TeresaNJ and L&Lfan like this.
  7. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

I'm gonna go ahead and believe that it is. If proven wrong, that's fine, but it seems pretty clear what this is.

Shanti likes this.
  8. Pacolovestacos

Do what you feel is best. What I find curious is that when there is a shooting, a mall bombing, or an airplane crash, and people start screaming muslim terrorists, people always tell them to wait and not rush to judgment. But I guess when the attacks involve minorities, it's okay to immediately assume "hate crime."

9. Geoff_M

Geoff_M DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

I'm still not sure what "misinformation" you think is being spread. Even your preferred media outlet, the Austin American-Statesman is featuring this same interview where the Chief states that they have not found anything that points to any motive (1:30 mark), he also adds "we are not ruling anything out", and properly notes the risk of "When you rule something out you limit your focus on this investigation and you might miss something."

ImAllEars and TeresaNJ like this.
  10. Pacolovestacos

I wouldn't bother. That poster has clearly made up their mind that this is a hate crime and nothing is going to change that.

ImAllEars, Kailani6 and TeresaNJ like this.
  11. Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Cannot_Wait_4Disney Ok all you A cattle, get in ...

What the guy said is We are not ruling anything out. That isn't really backing off. They always say that whether they don't have a clue or they're pretty darn sure. And they always say well we haven't found anything that points to X whether they know 100% it points to X or know 100% it doesn't. They don't want to spook anyone they might be on to them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Shanti likes this.
  12. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

Yes. You should go out & not be scared. Just stay vigilant and don't let them win. I agree!

13. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

There were three separate incidents, all share the same fact that the victims were/are people of color. If it had been one inident, I wouldn't come to the same conclusion.

robinb and Shanti like this.
  14. Pacolovestacos

3 incidents? wow what a sample size! Why the rush to judgment? Is there a medal awarded to the first person that solves the motive?

ImAllEars, L&Lfan and TeresaNJ like this.
  15. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

"This is an anonymous message board. This is exactly the place where people should feel free to express their feelings, however unpopular they might be."

Remember? You literally just told me that in another thread.

Shanti likes this.
  16. Pacolovestacos

The difference is I'm not telling you NOT to post your thoughts. Rather, I'm asking you to explain yourself.

17. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

How much more of an explanation do you need? 3 minorities were victimized in 3 separate incidents, in a predominantly white city and overwhelmingly white state. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

JaneBanks and Shanti like this.
  18. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

From Washington Post: "Manley said police continue searching to see if there is any ideology that could have motivated the attack. He also said authorities remain uncertain whether the people hurt or killed were the specific targets of the attacks." Written 20mins or so ago.

From CNN: "Austin Mayor Steve Adler, speaking Monday at a news conference, said, "This is still a safe city." "We don't know yet why this is happening or what the motivation is," he said. "Just as soon as we know things and things we can report to the community, I'm going to make sure the community hears it right away." Written yesterday.

I think what they do feel confident is saying is there is some sort of connection of the locations whether it's a hate crime, personal vendetta (thinking like payback or something like that), etc isn't quite known right now.

As sad as it is to say we've had a few high-profile hate crimes in my area. It's not something the police or the Feds take lightly but they also don't want to narrow their field of focus in case it's actually something else.

Hopefully they can get more information on who is behind is soon so they can look deeper into motives.

19. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose Loosing Boo Boo

Most things are taught at home. In this day and age people do all sorts of things. It is horrible.

20. Pacolovestacos

You must be a statistician to reach a conclusion like that.

21. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

Hate crime is defined in the U.S. "basis of a person's protected characteristics of race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability."

Race is just one component of hate crime.

At this point they aren't even sure if the people injured or killed were the actual intended targets. Kinda hard to eliminate all other possible motives when you don't know if they were the intended targets, you don't know who did it-which would help narrow down motive since you could look into their social media presence, their web browsing presence, if they belonged to any groups, was there any personal relationship with the targets, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.