Extended Family Road Trip to WDW and USF (Aug 2018)

starvenger

DIS Veteran
So this is the first one of these for me. Generally speaking, my family goes on two trips a year. One is usually a generational cruise with my parents, siblings, and assorted kids. The other is some sort of trip with my wife’s side of the family. My mother-in-law lives with us, so obviously that trip is done with her in mind as well as us.

Last year we skipped that trip as my wife’s best friend from the UK came over for a visit (we live in Toronto btw). And we went on Harmony of the Seas on an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary (I wrote a report on it - link is in my signature). This year, we were going to go on the Caribbean Princess, but the infant/toddler facilities didn’t look great to my brother (my nephew will be 2 at the time of the cruise) so we pivoted to an old reliable - Allure of the Seas. I will be looking to do a report on that as well.

And normally this year would be the biannual trip to the UK (quadrennial for me - I would normally head to Ohio to visit friends and do a Fantasy Football draft. Seems strange, sure. But this year we are doing it from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. Which apparently is not as uncommon as you might think. But I digress.). However, this year my sister-in-law and her two daughters are instead coming over to Canada in late July/early August (first time for the girls), while her husband heads home to China.

So, head count - there is me, my wife, 2 daughters (10 and 7), my mother-in-law (MiL, 70), my sister-in-law (SiL), and her 2 daughters (10 and 8). Eight people. Two of which have never been to North America. Clearly, there is only one thing to do.

ROAD TRIP!!!!

The question, of course, was - where? Lots of options near us - New York, Boston, Montreal, etc. We could go to a beach town - I went to Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach and St. Petersburg as a kid, would love to take my kids there again.

But as this is a Disney Trip forum, so you can guess what our decision was. Especially since it's in the title.

I am basically the sole driver, so the plan is to drive down with an overnight stay. We plan to arrive on a Saturday, and leave the following Saturday, so effectively 6 days in the Orlando area. Route down is likely to be through Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Charlotte and Savannah. I’m still debating going through Port Huron and doing the I75 route. Coming back up, we’ll be going through Richmond, VA.

The question now was, what to do in Orlando? This is going to shock you guys, but people in the UK love Harry Potter, and my nieces are apparently no exception. So Universal Studios was put in play. And with the changes at DHS and craziness surrounding Pandora, we decided that MK and Epcot would be our two parks at WDW. Coincidentally (or not), we had 2 days left on our no-expire passes. So 2 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal. And yes, that means that we’ll be paying a lot on a per day basis, but since we are not planning to do more days at the parks, the savings gained by those extra days are lost. That leaves us with 2 extra days to chill/shop/whatever, which for our families is perfect.

So with that out of the way, we needed to figure out lodging. With 8 people and only 2 days at WDW, staying onsite isn’t the best option. Getting 2 hotel rooms can also get pricey, so our ideal stay would be a rental property, as that would be roomier, plus have a kitchen available for cooking. After searching through booking.com, airbnb and things like Bonnet Creek, we booked a 4BD/3Ba townhouse at Lucaya Village Resort via airbnb. FWIW the host is listed as a verified superhost with nearly 1000 reviews across their properties, so from my experience with airbnb (I’ve used them 4-5 times now) that’s about as trustworthy as you’re going to get with the site. Not saying it’s 100% guaranteed, but I feel pretty comfortable with this. Never been to this resort, but it’s not the first time I’ve gone to a place blind, so we’ll see how it goes.

So there you have it. I’m sure I’ll be filling in the blanks as we go along.

Can't wait to read about your offsite, airbnb rental experience! Oh, and your trip to WDW and USO :)

Thanks!

I've mostly had good experiences with airbnb. We used them on a previous Disney trip, in Maui (Kihei), Oahu's North Shore, and Barcelona. Apart from the North Shore they were all very positive experiences. And even the North Shore apartment wasn't terrible.

What an experience that will be!!! :car: :sail: :crowded: :drive:
We do long road trip regularly as we have family that lives far away from us. Sadly...we don't live even remotely close to where we could do a road trip to Orlando. Northern Alberta is much to far for a road trip to Olrando. Heck, it takes us 4 hours to get to the nearest big center ( we live in a smaller city ). If we were road tripping to Orlando we would be taking a month or two of holidays, which as this point in our lives, is not realistic lol.

I can't wait to hear more!!!!

I'm here for the trip report! :) Sounds like fun, my family used to drive from the NE US to Disney all the time when I was a kid. DBF and I fly now LOL!

I'd rather be there in 2 hours than 18! :lmao:

BTW: I love the Toronto area, and Canada in general! ::yes::

We do long road trip regularly as we have family that lives far away from us. Sadly...we don't live even remotely close to where we could do a road trip to Orlando. Northern Alberta is much to far for a road trip to Olrando. Heck, it takes us 4 hours to get to the nearest big center ( we live in a smaller city ). If we were road tripping to Orlando we would be taking a month or two of holidays, which as this point in our lives, is not realistic lol.
How far north? You weren't a Fort McMurray resident, were you?

I'm here for the trip report! :) Sounds like fun, my family used to drive from the NE US to Disney all the time when I was a kid. DBF and I fly now LOL!

I'd rather be there in 2 hours than 18! :lmao:

BTW: I love the Toronto area, and Canada in general! ::yes::
Thanks. I'd rather fly than drive as well, but:
a) with 8 people it's clearly more budget friendly to drive
b) we're already flying down at the end of August for a cruise (Allure of the Seas, which I'm also planning on doing a report on)
c) I'm up for the challenge

Finalized my drive schedule. Like the giant nerd I am I created an online TripTik AND did a spreadsheet to outline our rest stops, including food and gas. Might be overkill, but the GPS sometimes takes you in a direction you didn't want to go.

I changed things around a bit coming back, as I decided to do the straightforward I-75/401 route, with a stopover in Knoxville. I'm pretty familiar with the interstate in Michigan and Ohio. Plus I know I can get me some Timmys in Ohio.

My "almost there" moment of the week was the 30 day window for FP+ opened up. Since I've never done the Resorts, I've never experienced the mad rush of the 60(ish) day window. But since I don't have to, I just kind of see what's available and plan accordingly.

Epcot - Frozen Ever After didn't have anything until afternoon. But since we're staying for Illuminations (I think it's still that?) I figured that we'll probably be able to get this in after dinner (Chefs de France @ 6:20). But realistically it's making the choice between that, Test Track and Soarin' anyway. I picked Soarin', and we'll try for Test Track first thing.

Magic Kingdom - Seven Dwarfs was fully booked, as expected. Looking at the options, I took Pirates, Thunder Mountain for the morning, and Space Mountain for the afternoon. Very good chance I'll need to change the latter two for people as they don't do coasters, but we'll let it play out.

We loved our trip to Universal, I dare say my kids may even have enjoyed it a little more than WDW, although likely because we stayed onsite and therefore had express passes to every ride. The Harry Potter lands are amazing, definitely make sure you have the park to park pass so you can ride the train, such a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter