Family friendly attractions in Florida?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
What are some of your favorite family-friendly attractions in Florida (let's say within a 1-2 hour radius of Orlando) for children ages 12 and 9? Not theme park related, but more museums, beaches, tours, nature, history, or just different fun things to do?

Depends on ages of people. There is gatorland, Legoland, used to have titanic museum, murder mystery dinners, indoor skydiving (loads of fun). This is just some of the things I did in Orlando as a College Student or now as a Mom.

The Orlando eye complex is nice. There's the eye, Madame Tussaud's wax museum and the Sea Life aquarium. There's also some restaurants there as well.
We went to the Chocolate museum and cafe (on Int'l Drive) They have a nice tour of the museum and you learn a lot about chocolate making and history of chocolate. You get a tasting as well!! They have a nice cafe, too!
We got a Groupon for it.

Just a few off the top of my head: Orlando Science Center, Orlando Museum of Art, Orange County Regional History Center, Leu Gardens, Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour, Wekiva Springs or Rock Springs, Renninger's Flea Market/downtown Mount Dora.

My two suggestions, I think, are a bit more off the beaten path for tourists, but my family loved them!

In Titusville, there is the Valiant Air Command Warbird museum. This is a great little museum with a bunch of old military planes and other memorabilia related to military aviation. The last time we went there, a veteran, who volunteers his time helping to restore some of the planes, offered to be our tour guide. It was simply awesome. So, if anyone in your family has an interest in aviation and/or the military, I highly recommend this little museum. You can find it on-line to get more information.

Another really fun thing we did was take an airboat ride. We went through Twister Airboat rides in Cocoa, FL, but I would imagine there are several companies that offer them. For us, it was really exciting to see all the alligators! We are from Montana, so just about everything in Florida is sooooo different from what we are used to. It was exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter