Family friendly beach town on Oregon coast or northern Cal in Feb?

Mufasa2018

Earning My Ears
We are heading down to DL at the end of February from Seattle. I was wondering if folks had any advice on a nice place to stay for 4-5 days on the way down. I was thinking a nice beach town but I’m open to any ideas.

Cannon beach is great. Iconic setting and wide beautiful beach with gorgeous sunsets, Very close to seaside which has a small town carnival like feel. Of course who knows what is open. Another town with good beaches is Florence or Lincoln City.

4-5 days would be Seaside, very east coast in flavor, close to Astoria for movie shooting area tours, docks with sea lions, fishing boats. seaside is an easy tour city, many streets. movie theatre. carnival town.

cannon beach is hard to travel, single lane traffic and not under 16 friendly for entertainment. can day trip to tillamook.

Newport has many family activites for a 4-5 stay, but then I assuming if you are a family, what is your make-up...that makes a big difference in choices.

I can help you with more info knowing who you are and expectations? each city has its own adult and child advantages?

oh, i see above it says family....Newport has best seaport north of frisco, two sea museums, working dock with amusuemnt factors. lighthouse,, two different style of beaches, south beach is flat sand dunes, north beach is cliffs and narrow.

Lincoln city starts in middle with lodging flush with beach, but travel south or north and lodging is on cliff with hard access to beach. Newport has no lodging with beach access. Seaside is total beach access, cannonbeach have to drive to beach. There is nothing friendly in northern calif for beach access.

none of these cities have any convivence access to valley, except florence, easy fun drive to Eugene, a fun city to explore. Salem in wnter is dead, PDX terrible drive

Last edited:
I have two little ones (3 and 1). what you are describing sounds like Newport might be a little better than seaside? I like beach access though.

Thanks for the help.

Seaside then would be the better choice, you can put the two in a stroller and do window shopping, ride the carsouel. Seaside is off the main 101, so not dealing with traffic, it is more block/grid formed, so much parking and sidewalks. Beach access will depend on your budget in Seaside, but still very easy walk even with discount lodging. can rent a bike or four wheel cart to ride down the large, wide, elevated concreted boardwalk. Easy morning to purchase fun coffee drinks and pastries is easy. And it might be warmer with Columbia river having its own weather system. Astoria is also an easy drive if you want to explore a working ocean town and musuems. With the age of your children I would choose Seaside over Newport.

I have two little ones (3 and 1). what you are describing sounds like Newport might be a little better than seaside? I like beach access though.

Thanks for the help.
Not sure how what the beach will be like in February, but we were freezing in July at the beach when we stayed at Seaside. We visited Cannon Beach for a day and the wind was blowing so cold that we had to wrap our ears up because they were hurting so much from cold wind. I'm assuming having beach access in February won't really be that important.

Not sure how what the beach will be like in February, but we were freezing in July at the beach when we stayed at Seaside. We visited Cannon Beach for a day and the wind was blowing so cold that we had to wrap our ears up because they were hurting so much from cold wind. I'm assuming having beach access in February won't really be that important.
Yes....july can be far colder than February....the valley acts as a vacuum and brings in cold air and high winds. off the ocean onto the coast a typical july day will see winds at 2:00 in the 15-25 range till about 9 at night, when the valley cools. If there is no rain in february, then morning strolls are nice on the beach and may have a good day till around noon...very hit and miss with Oregon Coast...October the best month to visit in terms of beach strolls.

We are in Bandon, OR, as we speak, for the 4th time in two years. Beautiful rocks and a cute downtown, friendly people, and dog friendly beaches. We also liked Cannon Beach, but Bandon is less crowded.

Our family likes Brookings Oregon. It is the most southern Oregon beach and referred to as the banana belt. It is also only 30 minutes to the Jedediah redwoods with easy day hiking in matureRedwood groves. The beachfront Inn is the only place in town that is truly beachfront.

Our family likes Brookings Oregon. It is the most southern Oregon beach and referred to as the banana belt. It is also only 30 minutes to the Jedediah redwoods with easy day hiking in matureRedwood groves. The beachfront Inn is the only place in town that is truly beachfront.
Thank you

lincoln city has the best Goodwill customer checkout in the state, much like Ross for less, it is a Oregon beach tourist destination so stripped clean of merch, but if you are there when the stocking carts come out you may find treasures, I found a $300.00 120 year old tavern glass on my visit 20 days ago.....and it had sat on the shelf for 2 days.

Not that I noticed!! 😬 I have to admit…my complete focus was the water!

Harbor-Brookings bench of Southwest Curry County, Oregon and the Smith River area of Northwest Del Norte County, California, is known as the Easter Lily Capital of the World. Here, lily growers toil year-round in their fields to produce nearly all the bulbs from which the large trumpet-shaped flowers bloom.

but I read they bloom in winter

Due to its location, Brookings is subject to winter (and less frequently summer) temperatures considered unusually warm for the Oregon Coast or for that matter, the North Coast of California. Temperatures can reach 70 to 100 °F (21.1 to 37.8 °C) throughout the year. This is due mostly to its situation at the foot of the Klamath Mountains, from which winds compress and warm the air flowing onto Brookings. This is called the Brookings effect or Chetco Effect, similar to the warm dry Santa Ana winds of coastal Southern California and the diablo winds of the Bay Area. Daffodils and other bulbs generally bloom in February. In the lowlands, heavy fog is common in the summer while the coastal ranges are generally sunny and warm, even hot.[citati

its worse in the winter...especially up in the northern CA beaches...plus in Oregon it snows...Feb is definitely not beach season even bundled up lol

I think the suggestions of most of the Oregon towns are apt. there are few true "beach" towns on the norcal coast north of the bay area and very few beaches that are safe to visit, especially in February.

Yes....july can be far colder than February....the valley acts as a vacuum and brings in cold air and high winds.
I'm not sure that I'm following your statement about the Oregon Coast in February. But RARELY is February warmer than the average July day along the coast. I mean the coast can get cool in July but not cold. Also, February sees far more rain than July making a dry morning a hard find.

OP-If your looking for something closer to the LA area from Seattle you might want to consider Monterrey on the Central CA coast. Though anywhere much north of Malibu along the coast has great potential for some pretty nasty weather. You might want to consider making the drive down I-5 (two long days or three short days-19 hours in total to Disney) and spending your time in San Diego before hitting Disney. You'd have 3ish days, better weather, and more activities for youngsters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter