• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family not in a suite - can they priority board with us?

hethj7

Earning My Ears
We have a 2 room suite booked on RCL Mariner of the Seas. My parents booked a non-suite room. Will we be able to get them through the priority boarding with us?

As a comparison, on DCL we were able to priority board easily with family that were platinum castaway club members. Was that just some Disney magic I shouldn’t expect from RCL?

Waiting for knowledgeable cruiser replies since years ago we had a separate entry into Terminal when we had our Suite cabins but things might have changed.

The answer may be depend on the port, the person checking, the phase of the moon, etc. But it's worth trying when you get there. Of course you could also hang back and board with the parents.

Thanks. I assume by policy the answer is no - but wondered if most folks experienced being able to do it once at the port.

I'll chime in on this with a few guesses about what MIGHT happen, but they are only guesses.

Since you stated you are sailing Mariner, you will either be sailing out of Port Canaveral or Galveston. If it is Galveston, i have seen a video of the new Royal terminal, (we sail there next year) and there is a separate Suites area for check-in, similar to Miami. So no chance there. Since she doesn't start home porting in Galveston, my guess is you are boarding at PC.

At PC there are a few different terminals that Royal uses but usually they use Terminal 1 for bigger ship if multiple in port, or terminal 5 or 6 for the smaller. At PC if only a portion of your group is NOT in the suite, I would just keep them with the group until you can't. They likely will check some of the party's passes so you can enter the terminal and security line and you should be able to keep the group together. There are multiple check-in and some are for C&A tiers and suites but if you are early or late, it won't matter and you can check-in at any desk. That will allow you to all check-in together. If Boarding hasn't started, there is a separate suite/pinnacle waiting area and you do need to show proof to access.

If you are not going first thing and are willing to wait until lunchtime or after you should be easier to keep the group together. '

And technically, if you boarded with a Platinum family and you were not, that was not Disney magic, that is called piggybacking (or tailgating if they did not know you were there). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacking_(security)

For my upcoming cruise I have a junior suite booked for DH and myself and an interior room across the hall from us for our 2 daughters. I had to call to book since the dd's are teenagers and not technically old enough to be booked in a room by themselves but they had no problem booking it that way since it is right across the hall from us. I asked the RC guy on the phone if they would be allowed to board with us for suite boarding or if we would have to wait until interior rooms board since obviously we aren't going to board without the kids and he said it would depend on the checkin people at the port and that it didn't hurt to ask but he couldn't promise it.

I'm considering purchasing the key if the price drops low enough since I was likely going to get internet anyway. That may be an option for you if you all want to guarantee priority boarding together.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it may just depend on who is working that day. And to clarify, we didn’t piggyback on Disney and are not advocating doing so on RC - Disney absolutely knew we were there and were not Platinum like the rest of the group - we just got a bit of magic. I still could name the gentleman that was was working that day.

Last edited:

My daughter is sailing with her two sons. Because of the booking she has her younger son in her room (he is Autistic) and her old son is in a connecting room. Her husband will probably not come with us (he is with the older son) but we are not going to take his name off the room until the last minute in case the Army changes their mind :) I have in writing, from RCCL, that my daughter and her special needs child will be able to board early but that the other son may have to wait depending on how crowded the terminal is. He is 12. I have been assured by those who know that they will be able to board together but to even think that you would leave a 12 year old, on his own, to board the ship is absolutely nuts. BTW - we are a group of 12 and I wasn't asking for all of us just for my daughter and her kiddos.

My daughter is sailing with her two sons. Because of the booking she has her younger son in her room (he is Autistic) and her old son is in a connecting room. Her husband will probably not come with us (he is with the older son) but we are not going to take his name off the room until the last minute in case the Army changes their mind :) I have in writing, from RCCL, that my daughter and her special needs child will be able to board early but that the other son may have to wait depending on how crowded the terminal is. He is 12. I have been assured by those who know that they will be able to board together but to even think that you would leave a 12 year old, on his own, to board the ship is absolutely nuts. BTW - we are a group of 12 and I wasn't asking for all of us just for my daughter and her kiddos.

pretty sure that if the adult in the room is removed from the booking, the room will be canceled. A child cannot be in the room without an adult

Just thought I would close this out. Ultimately, we did have 2 guests be able to board with us. The initial lady at the desk told us no when I politely asked. A gentleman there sort of gave her a look and then nodded to me to bring them in and he took great care of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter