Family stay off property meeting us at resort

Franzenel

Mouseketeer
We have family that is going down to Disney with us but they are stay offsite. We want them to meet us at the resort and travel to the parks together. Can we do this? We figured it would be way easier to do this with first timers then trying to meet at the park.

We have family that is going down to Disney with us but they are stay offsite. We want them to meet us at the resort and travel to the parks together. Can we do this? We figured it would be way easier to do this with first timers then trying to meet at the park.

Which resort?

Oh yeah it will be fine, just have them tell the guards at the security gate that they are visiting the resort for a meal. The only Resort I know that has serious parking dilemmas and often fills up is the Poly, everyone else, there's plenty of room.

We did this at POFQ Jan 2016. They were at a Springs hotel so just took the boat over to our hotel. If they are driving all they need to do is drive up to the gate and tell the guard they are visiting you.

A year or so ago when we visited the resorts, we simply asked if we could go in and look around. There was no issue except at WL, where parking was tight for some reason (can't remember why), and the guards told us we'd only be allowed in for a short time to eat or shop. They handed us a paper pass which we were to get signed at the shop or restaurant and return to them on the way out. From what I recall, we never got the paper signed and never returned it to them. None of the other resorts (we went to all of them) had this requirement. All of them required a driver's license for identification at the guard station.

I suspect that a non-guest parking at a resort to accompany a resort guest to the parks is officially prohibited. Parking is at a premium at most of the resorts, and they need to ensure that there are adequate spaces for resort guests. It occurred to me when we visited that there was a potential for non-guests to abuse this "loophole" to avoid the daily parking fee at the parks, and I'd be surprised if this isn't happening to some degree.

Honestly, if I had a car I'd much rather meet at the park entrance or at a set location inside the park than use Disney transportation from the resort. The Disney buses are probably the worst part of the onsite experience. We are planning to stay onsite this year, but will have a car, and will likely drive ourselves to the parks to avoid the wait time and cattle car experience of the buses.

Oh yeah it will be fine, just have them tell the guards at the security gate that they are visiting the resort for a meal. The only Resort I know that has serious parking dilemmas and often fills up is the Poly, everyone else, there's plenty of room.

Not true. I've stayed at the Contemporary with a car and struggled to find parking. The Boardwalk area resorts also have limited parking at the resorts. And those resorts have all been know to turn guests away without ADRs.

Have never had a issue with parking at any resorts , not even the monorail ones .. we have family nearby and we always have them visit and never once had a issue with it .. even when we stay at AKL ( our fav ) the front desk and lifeguards have always allowed our nephews to hang with us at the pool :)
The only issue I think we have encountered is sometimes having a hard time finding a parking spot , sometimes takes a minute but we typically always find one .

What if they are not coming for a meal?

I wouldn't worry about non-deluxe resorts, but if you have a concern the absolute best source is giving Disney a call to ask them specifically about your resort and visit date. Our personal experience, we've never had a problem with a half dozen situations like this over the years at moderate and value resorts.

As far as POFQ we have never had any issues either , we have nephews that go to school in Orlando so when we are down they drive over and go to the parks with us . I always drive my own car to the parks ( or use the boat to Disney Springs ) and it’s just easier having us all ride together .
We just have them let the person at the gate know and they ride with us , never had a issue .

What if they are not coming for a meal?

I wouldn't worry about non-deluxe resorts, but if you have a concern the absolute best source is giving Disney a call to ask them specifically about your resort and visit date. Our personal experience, we've never had a problem with a half dozen situations like this over the years at moderate and value resorts.

No phone CM will have an answer to this question. Parking will be at the discretion of the CM manning the resort gate on the day they plan to park there.

Not sure when your trip is, but when I friend visited me at BLT in May (after 5 pm), I got a parking pass, messaged it to her via FB, and she told the CM at gate that she was visiting me. Once she parked, we resort hopped to poly to eat.

Oh, and i didn't have my own car there (I flew and used ME)

Have never had a issue with parking at any resorts , not even the monorail ones .. we have family nearby and we always have them visit and never once had a issue with it .. even when we stay at AKL ( our fav ) the front desk and lifeguards have always allowed our nephews to hang with us at the pool :)
The only issue I think we have encountered is sometimes having a hard time finding a parking spot , sometimes takes a minute but we typically always find one .

And while you had an issue finding a parking space for your non resort visitor a paying resort guest who came home after your friend parked could not find a space.
Totally unfair IMHO.

Read carefully .. I clearly said I had trouble a time or so finding a spot at places I was going to visit ( to eat and shop ) our FAMILY ( not friends ) have never had trouble finding a parking spot at most places we stay ( like POFQ) because there is a ABUNDANCE of parking but again I have never not found a parking space at any resort in 20+yrs .. you can think it’s unfair all day but Disney makes the rules .. period .. and as long as they don’t have a issue with it then no one else should .
I also think your being dramatic lol I can see how at night when people go back to their rooms needing more parking but during the day MOST people are out and about .

Read carefully .. I clearly said I had trouble a time or so finding a spot at places I was going to visit ( to eat and shop ) our FAMILY ( not friends ) have never had trouble finding a parking spot at most places we stay ( like POFQ) because there is a ABUNDANCE of parking but again I have never not found a parking space at any resort in 20+yrs .. you can think it’s unfair all day but Disney makes the rules .. period .. and as long as they don’t have a issue with it then no one else should .
I also think your being dramatic lol I can see how at night when people go back to their rooms needing more parking but during the day MOST people are out and about .

Yes Disney makes the rules. And at many resorts there are signs up that parking is for guests of that resort only. Which means not friends or family staying at other resorts.

And yeah, during the day I have struggled with parking at the Beach Club and the Contemporary. No drama, just the honest truth.

Yes Disney makes the rules. And at many resorts there are signs up that parking is for guests of that resort only. Which means not friends or family staying at other resorts.

And yeah, during the day I have struggled with parking at the Beach Club and the Contemporary. No drama, just the honest truth.

Which is strange given I have never ever been turned away at a resort I wasn’t staying at ?? I always drive because buses are slow and tedious so any resort we visit is by car and other then “ can we see your ID?” never once had a issue .I am sure the signs are to keep thousands of regular visitors that would not want to pay the parking fee out .. we don’t worry about the parking fee because we are either on property or APs cover parking ... our family doesn’t park there to avoid that either given they are also pass holders , it’s simply to make it easier .

I have struggled with parking at the Beach Club and the Contemporary

You probably were not aware but these hotels have valet parking. Next time you stay at either place you should have no problem with parking now that you know Have a fantastic next stay! These are two of my favorite resorts!

OP...just have your guest tell the guard at POFQ the truth... that they are visiting on site guests. There should be no issue! Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter