FAQ: Flying Out of Buffalo OR Detroit

CanadianGuy

<font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and
Post your best tips and guidance for flying out of Buffalo or Detroit to MCO in this thread here..

I've asked for it to be made a sticky.

Thanks!

Knox

Great Idea!

For Buffalo....
There is a parking coupon on the Buffalo airport website .

I think that a thread about driving routes would be a good idea.
I'm sure there are folks from all across the country that could provide tips and tricks. I often respond to people posting about driving from Ontario to WDW.

Disboards could also post from out east and the folks out west too with routes to Disneyland.

Bridges to USA:

Lewiston-Queenston Bridge
Lewiston, NY, USA

** A small US dollar toll Fee must be paid on this route to the airport. Ensure you have small US bills or US coins. **
** A bridge fee must be paid on this route back into Canada. Both US and Canadian currencies are accepted. **

1: Start out going NORTHEAST on ROBERT MOSES STATE PKWY N toward ROBERT MOSES STATE PKWY S. 1.4 miles
2: Take the RT-104 W / RT-18F N ramp. 0.4 miles Map
3: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NY-104 / NY-18F / CENTER ST / RIDGE RD / CR-907. Continue to follow NY-104 / NY-18F / CENTER ST / CR-907. 0.1 miles
4: Turn LEFT to take the RT-104 W ramp toward I-190 W / CANADA / BUFFALO. 0.2 miles
5: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NY-104 / LEWISTON RD. 0.7 miles
6: Turn LEFT onto MILITARY RD / NY-265. 0.7 miles
7: Turn RIGHT onto UPPER MOUNTAIN RD / CR-11. 0.2 miles
8: Merge onto I-190 S toward NIAG. FALLS / BUFFALO (Portions toll). 14.2 miles
9: Merge onto I-290 E / YOUNGMANN EXPY via EXIT 16 toward I-90 / TONAWANDA / ROCHESTER. 9.8 miles
10: Merge onto I-90 W / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY W via EXIT 51-61 toward ERIE. 1.5 miles
11: Merge onto NY-33 E via EXIT 51E toward AIRPORT. 1.8 miles
12: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GENESEE ST / NY-33. 0.4 miles
13: End at Buffalo Niagara Intl. Airport (BUF):

Total Est. Time: 39 minutes Total Est. Distance: 31.96 miles

Rainbow Bridge
Niagara Falls, NY, USA

** A small US dollar toll Fee must be paid on this route. Ensure you have small US bills or US coins. **
** A bridge fee must be paid on this route back into Canada. Both US and Canadian currencies are accepted. **

1: Start out going NORTHWEST on RAINBOW BRIDGE toward FALLS AVE (Portions toll) (Crossing into *CANADA* ONTARIO). 0.2 miles
2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto FALLS AVE. <0.1 miles
3: Turn RIGHT onto HIRAM ST. <0.1 miles
4: Turn RIGHT onto RIVER RD. 0.3 miles
5: Turn RIGHT onto CLIFTON HL. <0.1 miles
6: Turn RIGHT onto FALLS AVE. 0.1 miles
7: Turn RIGHT onto RAINBOW BRIDGE (Crossing into *UNITED STATES* NEW YORK). 0.3 miles
8: RAINBOW BRIDGE becomes NIAGARA ST. 0.7 miles
9: Turn RIGHT onto NY-384 S / JOHN B DALY BLVD. Continue to follow JOHN B DALY BLVD. 0.4 miles
10: Take the ROBERT MOSES PKY ramp. <0.1 miles
11: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto ROBERT MOSES STATE PKWY S. 3.0 miles
12: Merge onto I-190 S / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY via the ramp on the LEFT (Portions toll). 7.8 miles
13: Merge onto I-290 E / YOUNGMANN EXPY via EXIT 16 toward I-90 / TONAWANDA / ROCHESTER. 9.8 miles
14: Merge onto I-90 W / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY W via EXIT 51-61 toward ERIE. 1.5 miles
15: Merge onto NY-33 E via EXIT 51E toward AIRPORT. 1.8 miles
16: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GENESEE ST / NY-33. 0.4 miles
17: End at Buffalo Niagara Intl. Airport (BUF):

Total Est. Time: 36 minutes Total Est. Distance: 26.93 miles

Fort Erie Public Bridge
716-881-9671
1 Peace Bridge Plz,
Buffalo, NY 14213, US

1: Start out going SOUTH toward BAIRD DR. 0.1 miles
2: Merge onto I-190 S / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY toward DOWNTOWN BUFFALO / I-90 / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY. 6.6 miles
3: Merge onto I-90 E / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY E via EXIT 1-52 on the LEFT toward BUFFALO AIRPORT / ALBANY. 4.5 miles
4: Merge onto NY-33 E via EXIT 51E toward AIRPORT. 1.6 miles
5: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GENESEE ST / NY-33. 0.4 miles
6: End at Buffalo Niagara Intl. Airport (BUF):

Total Est. Time: 17 minutes Total Est. Distance: 13.50 miles

Buffalo Niagara International Airport
716-630-0000
4200 Genesee Street
Buffalo, New York.
14225, USA

Poster's Notes:

1) We have used the Buffalo Airport on too many times to mention, and we could probably get there 'by memory', but I always ensure that I have road directions to refresh my memory. There are no 'follow these signs to the airport' signs from the border, so print directions prior to leaving.

2) If you're staying over in Niagara Falls, Ontario prior to departure, do *not* rely on the hotel's printed directions to the airport; both times we've done this they've been incorrect.

For those of us worried about traffic crossing the border, check out the Niagara Falls Bridge Commision website for updates:

http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php3

Also the NFBC traffic update line: 1-800-715-6722. We usually call this number when we are on the Q.E.W. around St Catherines to determine which bridge to take.

If you are coming from east of Toronto ...what would be the easiest route?
Are both the niagara and queenston bridges in Niagar falls?....
If we go to Fort Erie do we still head towards niagara falls or ?

Ahhhhhh
help?

If you are coming from east of Toronto ...what would be the easiest route?
Are both the niagara and queenston bridges in Niagar falls?....
If we go to Fort Erie do we still head towards niagara falls or ?

Ahhhhhh
help?

The easiest route to Buffalo airport is to cross @ Fort Erie. 90% of the time, Fort Erie also has the shortest lineup @ US/Canada Customs.

I did the research and from Toronto - I would say Detroit is your best savings (obviously pending on when you travel). Detroit is a Hub for NWA and I looked today and you can still get direct flights to Orlando for March Break for $147.00 return!! I find direct flights difficult to find out of Buffalo.

I did the research and from Toronto - I would say Detroit is your best savings (obviously pending on when you travel). Detroit is a Hub for NWA and I looked today and you can still get direct flights to Orlando for March Break for $147.00 return!! I find direct flights difficult to find out of Buffalo.

You are defiantly right. We're flying March break through SWA, saved $750 by doing the extra 3 hour drive(as opposed to flying out of Buffalo), and close to $2200(for 4) rather than out of TO.
Never flew from Detroit though, if anyone has any tips.....please post them.
Thanks

We have flown out of Buffalo numerous times. Love the small compact airport so much better than Pearson in Toronto.

You can fly direct on JetBlue, Southwest and Airtran for very reasonable costs and we have with excellent results.

I would reccomend Detroit only if you are west of London, Ontario or within an easy commute. For GTA travellers Buffalo is the way to go.

Not sure I agree Wee-Haggis. I am in Newmarket and the trip to Buffalo airport would be close to 2.5 hours drive (not taking into consideration the wait at the bridge - since we'll be doing that in Sarnia anyways). so for an extra 1.5 hours drive, I am flying for MUCH cheaper (have you seen March flights for $167.00 return during daytime hours?) and I am flying direct - I hate stopovers in Chicago and New York!!

Detroit Airport is easy to get around - well, as easy as Pearson. We've never had a problem. It's big, but you are flyng domestic so no issues at all! Actually, the NWA flight we've been on the last 2 years have been out of a new terminal that is lovely with a tram that takes you to the gates that are further down the hall. It's lovely. We go the night before and stay at an airport hotel (using airmiles points) and then do a park and fly with the car.

I've done a bit of examination oin the distance crossing in Sarnia vs Windsor and I believe Sarnia to be faster so we go that route.

Not sure I agree Wee-Haggis. I am in Newmarket and the trip to Buffalo airport would be close to 2.5 hours drive (not taking into consideration the wait at the bridge - since we'll be doing that in Sarnia anyways). so for an extra 1.5 hours drive, I am flying for MUCH cheaper (have you seen March flights for $167.00 return during daytime hours?) and I am flying direct - I hate stopovers in Chicago and New York!!

Detroit Airport is easy to get around - well, as easy as Pearson. We've never had a problem. It's big, but you are flyng domestic so no issues at all! Actually, the NWA flight we've been on the last 2 years have been out of a new terminal that is lovely with a tram that takes you to the gates that are further down the hall. It's lovely. We go the night before and stay at an airport hotel (using airmiles points) and then do a park and fly with the car.

I've done a bit of examination oin the distance crossing in Sarnia vs Windsor and I believe Sarnia to be faster so we go that route.
I guess it depends the time of year you are going as well(March can be a wee bit pricey from BUF).However,last month we went via BUF and for 4 it was $730 incl taxes with SWA.We are booked for august and we are geting 4 tickets on Jetblue for $800 and change.For us its a 2hr 35 min trip to BUF and 4hr 45 min to Detroit.The Detroit drive would be just a bit too much (particularily in the winter).
I can't speak for Sarnia, but he Peace Bridge for us (the past 4 times) has been a breeze (you have to pick the right time).As previously mentioned BUF airport is a joy compared to that monstrosity called Pearson.

For those that travel from Detroit...I'd like to see some info pertaining to parking there. Costs?...Safety?...Sleep/park/fly?

Last summer I almost booked 4 tickets from Detroit at around $425 but DH said he was not comfortable leaving the car there.

I can let you know after March about Detroit.
We are doing SPF at the Marriot Fairfield Detroit and it's costing us $109 for the thursday night before March break ($129 if you don't pay till you get there) and it includes 8 days parking.
From what I've read/asked it is a secured lot that the car is being put into.
There are cheaper SPF options but my dh is picky as to where he will and won't stay!!

Just a quick note on the short term parking at Buffalo airport. It's very easy to find following their signs, and really cheap! I just picked up my daughter and her friend and it only cost me $3.26, and I was there a good 45 minutes!

Plus it is very easy to get into the airport from there! Love flying out of Buffalo!

I haven't flown out of detroit or buffelo before but I plan to now that I live in London Ontario. We have a shuttle from here to the detroit airport that only costs around $100 return. Still an incredible savings compared to flying out of London or Toronto.

For those that travel from Detroit...I'd like to see some info pertaining to parking there. Costs?...Safety?...Sleep/park/fly?

Last summer I almost booked 4 tickets from Detroit at around $425 but DH said he was not comfortable leaving the car there.

We have flown out of Detroit many times and have never had any issue with leaving the car. If you are flying from the LC Smith terminal, the big blue deck runs $10 per day. Not sure from the Macnamara terminal.

As for park/sleep/fly, we did this just this past Oct. for MNSSHP. Cost was $90 for the night at HoJo and 8 nights parking in a secured lot. Shuttle was easy to and from the airport. Only a couple minutes from the terminals.

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!