Fast pass Needed for Rider Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is hugely restrictive. I'm glad we made it through our kids being short before this happened. Some might consider what I've done in the past gaming the system a little bit, but when you have three year olds and basically have to get out of the park by 2-4 before nuclear meltdown occurs, rider swap really helps even the odds and lets you get to do a few more rides despite your young kids. All that aside, being able to only hold one at a time, that's really rough even playing the game completely straight. Say you hit Frontierland in the morning, you ride Splash Mountain, and someone has to wait with the kids. Splash takes 20 minutes to go on even with no line. To have to ride it again before doing Thunder and getting a swap there really ruins a plan. If you get swaps for those two, then the nonrider can do them later in the afternoon or evening, after the little kids have left. That was the beauty of it. And that's gone now. A shame...

Wow, that is hugely restrictive. I'm glad we made it through our kids being short before this happened. Some might consider what I've done in the past gaming the system a little bit, but when you have three year olds and basically have to get out of the park by 2-4 before nuclear meltdown occurs, rider swap really helps even the odds and lets you get to do a few more rides despite your young kids. All that aside, being able to only hold one at a time, that's really rough even playing the game completely straight. Say you hit Frontierland in the morning, you ride Splash Mountain, and someone has to wait with the kids. Splash takes 20 minutes to go on even with no line. To have to ride it again before doing Thunder and getting a swap there really ruins a plan. If you get swaps for those two, then the nonrider can do them later in the afternoon or evening, after the little kids have left. That was the beauty of it. And that's gone now. A shame...
We’ve actually always done it this way (back to back). It works great if you just plan for it ;-)

We’ve actually always done it this way (back to back). It works great if you just plan for it ;-)
Sure, you can plan for that and do it that way. You're just wasting prime time you could get to something like Pirates, Jungle Cruise, or Haunted Mansion, and do the mountains later when it's busier.

Sure, you can plan for that and do it that way. You're just wasting prime time you could get to something like Pirates, Jungle Cruise, or Haunted Mansion, and do the mountains later when it's busier.
We still do those too!

People with young kids are not the only ones who can have limited park time. Having kids is no excuse for "gaming the system". And it is attitudes such as that that have Disney changing things.

People with young kids are not the only ones who can have limited park time. Having kids is no excuse for "gaming the system". And it is attitudes such as that that have Disney changing things.
People with other kinds of limitations are free to find their own best way of utilizing their time, such as possibly DAS passes. I said that some might consider what I've done to be gaming the system, but I really don't. The definition of gaming the system is such an ambiguous one anyway. Is it gaming the system to get a rider swap, allowing my kids to get an extra ride so they can go once with each parent? Or when people are waiting for Living with the Land for 25 minutes, and I pull out my phone, find a fastpass that's good immediately, and bypass everyone who didn't pull out their phones? Disney gives you various options, and I work within their rules to have the best time that we can. In fact, we came back from this trip with about half a dozen unused swap passes we never had time to use. If Disney wants to change their policies to try to make things what they think is as fair as possible for everyone that's their prerogative and I hope they succeed, but I don't appreciate being told my attitude is a bad one when I'm playing within their well (or not so much) established rules.

People with other kinds of limitations are free to find their own best way of utilizing their time, such as possibly DAS passes. I said that some might consider what I've done to be gaming the system, but I really don't. The definition of gaming the system is such an ambiguous one anyway. Is it gaming the system to get a rider swap, allowing my kids to get an extra ride so they can go once with each parent? Or when people are waiting for Living with the Land for 25 minutes, and I pull out my phone, find a fastpass that's good immediately, and bypass everyone who didn't pull out their phones? Disney gives you various options, and I work within their rules to have the best time that we can. In fact, we came back from this trip with about half a dozen unused swap passes we never had time to use. If Disney wants to change their policies to try to make things what they think is as fair as possible for everyone that's their prerogative and I hope they succeed, but I don't appreciate being told my attitude is a bad one when I'm playing within their well (or not so much) established rules.

You even admit what you did is considered gaming the system, which is the phrase you used! So you really can't be mad when people are offended by it.

Also, Disney does not have systems in place for everyone else that has limitations. Many limitations are told to get a scooter and do the best you can.

You even admit what you did is considered gaming the system, which is the phrase you used! So you really can't be mad when people are offended by it.

Also, Disney does not have systems in place for everyone else that has limitations. Many limitations are told to get a scooter and do the best you can.
If you have a scooter, you can go to guest relations for DAS access. There is no proof or documentation required, so anyone can get it if they give an adequate reason. We got one because my son is likely on the spectrum and waiting in line long periods can result in bad situations involving epic meltdowns. We used this a few times, mostly to go on Frozen a few times in 2 days because he really liked it. I'm sure some would consider this gaming the system, just like using the rider swap according to the rules. I'm not offended if someone wants to think I'm gaming the system, because everyone has different circumstances and points of view, but I don't think there is anything wrong with my attitude just because I use the advantages Disney provides. While these offerings are nice and helpful, there's nothing more helpful than being prepared, having a good plan, arriving early enough, and knowing how to use FP adequately. The next time we go in a few years, we won't be able to use rider swap, and I hope we won't be deserving of das, so I will plan accordingly and we should do fine. Besides, I'd much rather my whole family can go on rides together than only getting to go with some of them, even if it results in being able to ride more.

Using a wheelchair or scooter does not guarantee someone will be issued a DAS.
That's counter to my experience, but I guess it continues Disney's "your results may vary" theme. In any case, I've seen lots of evidence of Disney trying to make things as fair and easy as possible for all situations. It's a hard task, no doubt, but I'm glad for how much they try.

The Digital FP system for Rider Swap is now in place so this thread includes outdated information and is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter