Favorite non ride things?

katyringo

DIS Veteran
What are your favorite non ride things to do? Not food either. Especially thinking of things for 2 adults.

We love the shows. I want to see Mickey and the magical map and maybe frozen this time. The flag ceremony is also a must out next time (hubs is a veteran).

Last edited:
My wife and I did WDW and first time we've stayed for the Flag Ceremony, and it was a big highlight. The other big highlight was totally non-park related, well sort of, and that was going to Trader Sam's.

I really enjoy The Enchanted Tiki Room, including the entertainment out on the lanai. If you're lucky, the famous CM Maynard, will be there.
Viewing the window displays on Main St. As well as the displays inside the stores. Also in the various locations thru out the park.
Aladdin's Oasis is wonderful to see. So if it's open at the time, go in and take a good look around. You may take food in too. There is plenty of seating.
Visiting Snow White's wishing well and her grotto is very nice and relaxing.
Visiting the Sleeping Beauty Castle (Walk thru) is always so nice.
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is an excellent show, in my opinion.
Character meet and greets are fun.
If you like Star Wars, then you may enjoy the displays at the Star Wars Launch Bay. Currently you may meet with Chewbacca, Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. I especially love Chewie! :)
Pirate's Lair is a fun and enjoyable interactive experience.
Tarzan's tree house is fun.
The Grand Circle Tour on Disney's RR. Very nice, pretty, interesting and enjoyable.
I also enjoy cat sightings. Which lately I haven't seen any. Oh well, hopefully next time.

I love the area around Grizzly Peak in DCA. It is one of the most underappreciated areas in Disneyland in terms of theming and overall beauty. If you've never done it wander along the path towards the waterfall; it is breathtaking. It is also fun to watch the riders getting drenched on Grizzly River Rapids.

I also really like the shows at the Royal Theatre. Don't think that these are just for little kids; the performers are great and the shows have elements that appeal to all ages.

Last edited:

We love cocktails at Carthay, wine & appetizers at Alfresco Tasting Terrace during sunset & beignets anytime of day at Mint Julep Bar.
ETA: oh- non-food! Sorry, I think with my stomach first! Well, we obviously love our drinks too :) Fwiw I thought Mickey and the Magical Map was adorable and I have the Fantasyland theater on my list of things I'd like to do on my next trip!

Last edited:
Neon Lighting on Rte. 66 in Cars Land! Get there about 10-15 minutes early, grab a snack at the Cozy Cones, then get ready for magic when the Sh'boom song starts! If we don't get snacks, we swing dance on Rte. 66 -- so fun! If you're lucky, there will be a group of dancers doing a lindy bomb -- feel free to jump right in!
Watching the Ellis Island Boys at Paradise Gardens in DCA -- this is one of the greatest bands at DLR! Feel free to get up and dance. The band is so nice and will adjust tempos to accommodate dancers of all levels. Such fun! :)
Watching (and dancing to) Five and Dime at Carthay Circle in DCA.
Royal Swing Ball on Saturday nights at Fantasy Faire -- live bands, great crowd, lots of fun! (Can you tell there's a dance theme going on here?)
Dancing in DTD -- there are dance bands on the main stage sometimes (genre varies: rockabilly, country, rock, swing, etc.). The main stage is next to ESPN Zone and EOS. Bands usually play from 6-10 pm. If you eat on the patio at EOS, you'll have a great view of the show.
Closing out the park! So romantic... choose a favorite ride to be your last ride of the night (we love PP) and be sure to get in line about 10 minutes before park closing. The CMs will allow you to ride as long as you're in line before official closing time. Then exit the ride to an empty/emptying park (depends on how long the line was) and stroll hand in hand down Main Street. Get hot chocolates at Market House to sip while enjoying the lights in Town Square. Shops on Main Street stay open about an hour past park closing.
Get a popcorn, sit on a bench at the Hub, and people watch. Such fun! One of our favorite pasttimes. Also fun to watch the pianist at Refreshment Corner.
Let me know if I'm boring you... I could go on and on!

Last edited:

DL
o Look for hidden Mickeys - get a book or visit a website to find them
o Tigger Tails at Pooh corner (and just about everything else at Pooh corner LOL!)
o I agree with PP, listening to ragtime piano player at Coke corner
o Watch the miniature displays outside the Emporium on Main Street
o Visit the Disney art area next to Abe Lincoln on Main Street
DCA
o Animation Studio - just sitting and taking it in, but also going through sorcerers worskshop and taking an art class

:wizard:

Lots of my favorite stuff has already been posted. I also enjoy It's Tough to be Bug.

If I am solo, I sometimes go through pretty much every gift shop in both parks.

It's pretty easy to spend a day without going on any rides or just going on one or two and staying very busy the whole day.

So many favorites above! I also love sitting in a rocking chair on the porch on Main St and people watching. I’ve been able to do that a couple times on every trip, even when the park is crowded.

We also love the canoes and going out to Tom Sawyer’s Island-both to let our kids burn some energy but also for something different and a chance to see the park from a different angle.

Neon Lighting on Rte. 66 in Cars Land! Get there about 10-15 minutes early, grab a snack at the Cozy Cones, then get ready for magic when the Sh'boom song starts! If we don't get snacks, we swing dance on Rte. 66 -- so fun! If you're lucky, there will be a group of dancers doing a lindy bomb -- feel free to jump right in!
Watching the Ellis Island Boys at Paradise Gardens in DCA -- this is one of the greatest bands at DLR! Feel free to get up and dance. The band is so nice and will adjust tempos to accomodate dancers of all levels. Such fun! :)
Royal Swing Ball on Saturday nights at Fantasy Faire -- live bands, great crowd, lots of fun! (Can you tell there's a dance theme going on here?)
Dancing in DTD -- there are dance bands on the main stage sometimes (genre varies: rockabilly, country, rock, swing, etc.). The main stage is next to ESPN Zone and EOS. Bands usually play from 6-10 pm. If you eat on the patio at EOS, you'll have a great view of the show.
Closing out the park! So romantic... choose a favorite ride to be your last ride of the night (we love PP) and be sure to get in line about 10 minutes before park closing. The CMs will allow you to ride as long as you're in line before official closing time. Then exit the ride to an empty/emptying park (depends on how long the line was) and stroll hand in hand down Main Street. Get hot chocolates at Market House to sip while enjoying the lights in Town Square. Shops on Main Street stay open about an hour past park closing.
Get a popcorn, sit on a bench at the Hub, and people watch. Such fun! One of our favorite pasttimes. Also fun to watch the pianist at Refreshment Corner.
Do they announce what Time the Cars lighting is or do you just go there a bit before the internet says sunset is or...?

Love "Turtle Talk with Crush" in California Adventures. Will see it several times, each time we go to parks as each time you see Crush, the show is a little different.party:
Like to get a soda and stand outside Grizzly Rapids and watch people go down the flume and get soaked! :rotfl:
Love the DisneyLand Art Gallery next to Lincoln. :cool:
Walking thru the Grand and the DLH lobby areas to admire the Art work they have on display at times. :wave2:
Walking thru the Grand common areas to admire the wood work and workmanship that was used to create it ::yes::
Like to sit outside the Mainstreet Train Station and watch all the CMs performing their jobs and park guests entering the park interacting with them pixiedust:
Frozen :yay:
Just being in the Parks :earsboy:

Neon Lighting on Rte. 66 in Cars Land!
Last week, my DH and I were able to dance to Shboom twice. Both times we were the only jitterbuggers there. But it was so much fun! I'd really love to have a group of dancers there at the same time.
Your post taught me there are so many more dancing opportunities in DL! Next time I have to try to get to more.

Do they announce what Time the Cars lighting is or do you just go there a bit before the internet says sunset is or...?
We asked in Cars Land early in the day and the CMs gave us the time. Last week it was at 5:30. After sunset during twilight.

Fantasmic!!! #1 always on the top of my list. The Paint the Night parade is also super cool. I believe they have recently moved this or will be moving it over to DCA. I also really love the "It's tough to be a bug" in a Bugs Land, and if you want a good laugh then I suggest going to the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland and take in a laughing stock company show.

Fantasmic!!! #1 always on the top of my list. The Paint the Night parade is also super cool. I believe they have recently moved this or will be moving it over to DCA. I also really love the "It's tough to be a bug" in a Bugs Land, and if you want a good laugh then I suggest going to the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland and take in a laughing stock company show.

We loved fantasmic and are deff seeing it again. World of color too. We are going in November during all the Christmas stuff but I am hoping the paint the night parade will still be happening. They didn’t do it this last Christmas season which bummed me out!

Watching the Ellis Island Boys at Paradise Gardens in DCA -- this is one of the greatest bands at DLR! Feel free to get up and dance. The band is so nice and will adjust tempos to accomodate dancers of all levels. Such fun! :)

Oh these sound fun! I would love to see the lighting at Carsland this time.

I love this thread! We are taking toddlers for the first time, and it's great to have a list of ideas in case they end up not loving rides. Thanks!

Animation Academy! I have zero artistic talent and can't draw a thing. I'm always amazed at how my drawings turn out there. So much fun!

In the late morning/early afternoon, I like to have a cup of tea and sit on the wall near POTC and watch boats and such sail on the ROA.

In fact, I'm sitting there right now. Just finished my tea and am about to head over to Buzz. Doing OK on that today.
IMG_4486.JPG

image.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!