Favorite runDisney memories or moments

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Let's all share our favorite runDisney memories throughout the years! I hope this helps keep our minds off some other worldly things even for just a moment.

For me my favorite memories or moments are with the friends I have made from this running journey. I have experienced several things over the last couple years that wouldn't have if it wasn't for creating those friendships.

More specifically though I think being the first in line for Everest during the marathon in 2019 is near the top of the list.

I was having a good race and photo op until "Mike Wazowski" put me in the "runner protection program". And that camera to the nose hurt! I'll be back with more! Good thread!
nQHYMTz.jpg

First Disney half at MW 2014: Coming into MK from the side backstage area and seeing the Christmas tree at the base of Main Street, I cried! Then I looked up and DH, who was pacing me, had gotten carried away by the crowd and took off at a sprint. Trying to keep up, I concentrated on following him, staring at his back and barely noticed the castle. I don’t even remember running through it - just “woke up” coming down the ramp when I saw a photographer lying down and shooting up at the runners with the castle in the background! Still it was my first time running in MK (had done ToT 10 in 2013). Now I make sure to run down Main Street and through the castle as slowly as I want! :-)

If I’m allowed to add more than one memory and since there‘s no sports on, I would say that the 2017 1/2 marathon cancellation had both good and bad memories. Since this was our [my wife and I] only race that weekend the actual cancellation was very disappointing. It was somewhat dramatic as friday was a nice and warm day with a HH meet up and the hint of weather issues on the horizon. As the afternoon wore on and more focus on the approaching weather front it was clear that the 1/2 was in jeopardy. I'm not sure of the exact time, but sometime between 7:00 and 9:00 the 1/2 was cancelled. That was the bad

There was a lot of disappointment "Worldwide" but in the end RunDisney made it right with the refund process. The best part was the runners out on Saturday morning [full disclosure....not me] running their miles with their bibs on! We got our medals, shirts, luggage tags and gift card refunds, so good job RD.

Let me know if there's a submission limit because I probably have more!

If I’m allowed to add more than one memory and since there‘s no sports on, I would say that the 2017 1/2 marathon cancellation had both good and bad memories. Since this was our [my wife and I] only race that weekend the actual cancellation was very disappointing. It was somewhat dramatic as friday was a nice and warm day with a HH meet up and the hint of weather issues on the horizon. As the afternoon wore on and more focus on the approaching weather front it was clear that the 1/2 was in jeopardy. I'm not sure of the exact time, but sometime between 7:00 and 9:00 the 1/2 was cancelled. That was the bad

There was a lot of disappointment "Worldwide" but in the end RunDisney made it right with the refund process. The best part was the runners out on Saturday morning [full disclosure....not me] running their miles with their bibs on! We got our medals, shirts, luggage tags and gift card refunds, so good job RD.

Let me know if there's a submission limit because I probably have more!
Tell as many as you want!

Not one moment, per se, but several moments of experiencing "I can't believe I finished a ___________" My very first race of any real distance (Minnie 15k), my first half marathon, first marathon were all at Disney. It is one of the main reasons I started running.

Most recently, in 2018, was my first Dopey. It's a highlight of my running career, and to BQ the marathon there was a great personal achievement (even if it wasn't my fastest marathon)

2015 MW Half Marathon
Even thought this is the course that is the least favorite of the weekend, this is the race that got me hooked on runDisney.
I hadn’t been to Disney in a few years. We arrived the day before, and I just went to the Expo and did not go to any parks. Like @Disney at Heart, running into MK from backstage, seeing the Christmas Tree, then rounding the corner and seeing the Castle... Magical. Great memory.

2011 and 2018 Goofy.

2011 was my first marathon/Goofy. It was the year of perfect weather and I ran at a pace that was comfortable the whole way.

2018 was my latest* marathon/Goofy. It was supposed to be Dopey, but didn't happen. It was painful and I had to walk it in.

I managed to do 2 more Goofys and 10 marathons between those 2.

I like the symmetry of my first and latest* marathons being a Goofy.

*Calling it my latest marathon and not my last. Sometimes I still hear that siren song.

This moment right here. Last year's Star Wars 10k. My first live Disney race and my first ever 10k. I misjudged the start line and ended up starting about 2 steps in front of the balloon ladies and fought to not get swept the whole race. Halfway through Epcot they finally passed me and I just started crying and repeating to myself "please let me finish, please let me finish." This was the moment I finished. Never been more proud of myself.

Attachments

• 812597741_403041136.jpg
    812597741_403041136.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
I have great memories from all of them. The 1995 Disneyland 5k stands out because it was my first running event ever and at that time, nothing short of running through Disneyland would have gotten me to run. Coming from the parking lot into the park was magical and while they didn't have character photo stops, I remember Indiana Jones cracking his whip at us and Roger Rabbit. And we finished the race on Main Street, which was a great ending. They had both a 5k and marathon and that was the first time I heard that Disney World had a marathon. I surprisingly still remember a lot from that race, but one thing that stands out is towards the end, running backstage behind Fantasyland and suddenly hearing the instrumental music outside It's a Small World and knowing we were almost back in the park to the home stretch past the Matterhorn and Main Street. I don't think I've ever been that happy to hear It's a Small World before or since.

My first in park race the inaugural W&D 10K was my first 10K period and the most miles I ran over 4 miles outside of a treadmill.... I was so anxious I didn't want to stop for any characters on course I just wanted to finish and felt a rush of accomplishment when it was all over

2017's race (and 2018's SW 10K) I enjoyed running through Studios despite the massive bottlenecks en route to Boardwalk due to Skyliner construction those I did wait for characters and had a blast....

this past year's Wine and Dine 5K while I was upset at first they changed the location AFTER AP pre-registration it was my favorite running costume to date (Roger Rabbit) and I got to redeem myself from not stopping to meet Flick during my first race (my sister waited in line for him & Atta w/o telling me she was queue up for them)

Finally this past W&D 10K the next to nothing line for BOWLER HAT GUY on course

Maybe not favorite but one of my more memorable rundisney races was the initial avengers race.

So for those who were not there, the day of the race some massive santa anna winds came through which made for a very interesting race. We are talking water station tables getting turned over and volunteers "trying" to fill cups up as runners came by - I say trying because just trying to pour water from a bottle into a cup was a challenge for them. Kudos to the volunteers that day - they did a great job under trying conditions. There were mile markers blown over and torn up. I remember one or two where they just took the clock out and placed it on the road and gave up on the marker. The worst though was there was an area where you ran by this river... and the dirt/sand beside the river became little projectiles. ouch. When we finally finished they kicked us out to the parking lot for famility reunion and you could see them tying up portapotties and even taking down the jumbotron.

I enjoyed the race as a race (anaheim did put on great races) but those conditions on that course made it a very very memorable race. Only avengers race i did (not because of that but because after they announced star wars races I couldn't justify two trips to anaheim within 3 months so had to choose one or the other and chose star wars)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter