Favorite stops from Nor Cal to Disney & San Diego?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
I hate road trips. I really, really loathe them! Any favorite stops from Nor Cal to Disney? Or Nor Cal to San Diego? We have two separate trips coming up and I'm wondering if they're are fun stops to break it up. We've done both but this will be the first time driving directly to SD instead of from LA. To Disney we will probably take 46 to 5 in order to get there as soon as possible and try to get into the parks. That is just a barren stretch of road that is miserable. We are driving down on a Saturday. After we made it into LA last time after the grade the kids needed a pit stop and it wasn't a good place to stop that we stumbled into. Is there a good place to plan on stopping? Going back home we won't be in a rush so we'd probably have more time to stop. I went to UCSB and much prefer the drive up 101 when I go north but I know it can add a lot more time so I'm not sure if it's worth it. We are driving back on a Sunday too which I've always found to have bad traffic on 101. Which way do you go and do you stop anywhere?

This will be our first time going back and forth directly from SD. We will leave and return on Mondays but our drive down is on Columbus Day so I don't know if there will be extra traffic. Previously we've done it from LA and I don't think we timed it right because we just sat in traffic most of the way. On our way back we will be going back from Carlsbad. Anything fun to break it up?

We do that drive a few times a year. There is a fruit and nut stand we stop at off the 5 on that barren part around bakersfield thats a good place to grab snacks and stretch your legs.

Probably the most "fun" stop is st Bravo Farms, some good food there, gift shop, ice cream shop, antique/craft store upstairs, dog park, play area, etc all in a wild western town motif. Plus theres a Starbucks across the street.

For food we usually stop off Laval road, plenty of food options, Starbucks, In n out, etc.

We also have some go to spots in Burbank if hungry.

As far ad real fun, there are some cool things, but they do add considerable time to the drive.

We typically stop at Harris Ranch if driving the 5 ... or Solvang if driving on 101. Specifically, if passing through Solvang, we will pack a picnic to enjoy at Monty Roberts' Flag is Up Farms. Monty's farm is a lovely place to stretch your legs, breathe fresh air and enjoy gazing at happy horses.

Of course, sometimes we simply aim for Costco Gas Stations ... and then hit the food court or do some shopping along the route. The shopping gets the legs working again ... even if all we do is roam the warehouse for 15 minutes.

Ok clearly DH's idea to take 101 was...not the best! It took forever. Definitely don't try it! We took 5 home and will definitely take 5 back to SD next week. We are very familiar now with 46-5 as far as the grapevine. Anyone going that way be way be warned the rest stop on 46 is closed until November. Any advice on any stops between the grapevine and SD?

Ok clearly DH's idea to take 101 was...not the best! It took forever. Definitely don't try it! We took 5 home and will definitely take 5 back to SD next week. We are very familiar now with 46-5 as far as the grapevine. Anyone going that way be way be warned the rest stop on 46 is closed until November. Any advice on any stops between the grapevine and SD?

Yeah the 101 is a "once and done" kind of bucket list thing that I avoid like the plague now. Yeah a lot of rest stops close for the usual caltrans "cutiously longer than usual" amount of time. Hmm, between grapevine and SD, i personally don't stop a whole lot. I usually grab food and an iced coffee at the starbucks off Laval rd. If you are looking for things to do, there is Fort Tejon on your way up. Depending on everyones bathroom schedules we usually stop in Burbank for food/coffee/restrooms etc. Between Scott rd and Burbank blvd there is an Original Tommys burger, a Starbucks, a The Asian Project, and a few other places to eat. I avoid the In n Out there as the traffic can be a nightmare.

You could also stop at Downtown Disney if you want to kill some time.

Another stop we frequently make depending on hunger/coffee/restroom is in Costa Mesa near El Camino Real/Palizada. Tons of places to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!