Feb 2020 Thread

I hope everything goes ok for you! Car issues are so stressful! I’m super paranoid about the flu too! We got our shots, so other than getting enough rest and washing our hands like maniac, I don’t know what else to do. And I can’t hover over DS all day and make sure he doesn’t touch his face after touching a door or whatever at school, so I guess it is what it is.

I hope everything goes ok for you! Car issues are so stressful! I’m super paranoid about the flu too! We got our shots, so other than getting enough rest and washing our hands like maniac, I don’t know what else to do. And I can’t hover over DS all day and make sure he doesn’t touch his face after touching a door or whatever at school, so I guess it is what it is.
I was kind of joking that I wanted a cold snap while we are there so I can make the kids wear gloves all week. Doesn't look like it will get that cold but I think it will be 'kids are the only ones getting in the pool' degrees.

I'm wondering how much time I would need to allot for getting to MK from OKW on 2/23. (Yes I am indeed also someone going there on marathon day lol). I hear about all the road closures/detours and wonder if I need to be at the bus stop at 7am for a 9am opening. I haven't been to WDW during Feb before so dealing with the traffic issues from the Princess Marathon is giving me extra anxiety. But I mean.....I just gotta do it. I wanna celebrate my actual birthday IN the actual MK. I've always wanted to. My childhood dreams refuse to budge on this one. :wizard:

We packed almost everything tonight! I’m exhausted but so ready for Wednesday to get here. It looks like it’s going to be cooler next week than we had originally planned for (with a range of 39-80 degrees during our trip), so I probably packed way too much. I wanted to have a variety of shorts, pants, tshirts, and hoodies to cover our bases. I’m just so ready to go!

We packed almost everything tonight! I’m exhausted but so ready for Wednesday to get here. It looks like it’s going to be cooler next week than we had originally planned for (with a range of 39-80 degrees during our trip), so I probably packed way too much. I wanted to have a variety of shorts, pants, tshirts, and hoodies to cover our bases. I’m just so ready to go!
Yeah, weather is an issue. We only have 2 days (including flight on morning of day 1, Wednesday), but we as family of 5 will UberXL from WDW to DCL on Friday morning, so we are limited on suitcases to what will fit an UberXL and 5 humans. Coming back isn't a big deal since we are renting a car for a day and a half after getting off the ship.

Thought I'd post here to see if I get any responses. We got back from DW March 3. Within 2 weeks things were shut down. We had a pretty great trip overall. DH feels like we got robbed because our trip memories are tainted with all of the pandemic stuff almost as soon as we landed. I feel like we had a great trip just in time. I do not want to be one of the people having to deal with rescheduling and I don't want to have to be nervous to be visiting DW once they open with Coronavirus still around. I was just curious what others are feeling right now.

Thought I'd post here to see if I get any responses. We got back from DW March 3. Within 2 weeks things were shut down. We had a pretty great trip overall. DH feels like we got robbed because our trip memories are tainted with all of the pandemic stuff almost as soon as we landed. I feel like we had a great trip just in time. I do not want to be one of the people having to deal with rescheduling and I don't want to have to be nervous to be visiting DW once they open with Coronavirus still around. I was just curious what others are feeling right now.

I kind of see what you are saying....but I do feel for those who had to cancel...

Our trip was Feb1-8th. (Sat-sat)
By Tuesday..which was our down day...my husband came down with a low grade fever, chills. Etc. That next day my daughter starting running a fever late morning...I took her back to the resort and we rested..by 3am that next morning, her temp was nearly 104. I used a video chat option we have with our insurance to talk to a nurse, she assumed it was probably the flu...my hubby took an uber to walmart to pick up anything he could to help..from drinks,Snacks and meds. (He was feeling better at that point) it took multiple baths, all day and switching tylenol and ibuprofen every 2 hours to get that temp down...by 6pm. She was perfectly fine...except for a cough. The next day, we were in line to order our food at BOG. By the time we sat down with our food, I was feeling so Ill I thought I was going to pass out. I made it somehow to our hotel on my own, laid down, took meds, and tried to sleep it off...by that evening, my low grade fever was gone. But I was also left with a nasty cough...a cough that both of us had for nearly 3 weeks. I totally feel our trip was such a let down...especially for what one pays to go on this vacation. But am I crazy to wonder If we had the virus?! I really wonder. I know it effects everyone in different ways..but i keep wondering.

I was one of the lucky ones. After ten great trips we stayed home to care for our elderly dog. When he was gone our younger dog died. Just had to get to Disney. I came home Feb 14th. Can't believe I made it. One of my best ever trips. My dream stay at AKL. I wished my Disney partner (DSis) had been there. I wouldn't be rushing back. Partly because the Cdn dollar is almost worthless but also because of Covid aftershock. I think a resort like Disney would be the ideal place to catch it. We are thinking about a Disney cruise late 2021. I would want to avoid the birthday celebration anyway, too crowded for us. For the first time in many years DSis and I can go together, our responsibilities to our dogs meant we had to go solo for many years. In answer to your question, I don't think that the parks will be "safe" for quite a while.

I feel extremely, extremely lucky that we were able to go when we went, and we had a fantastic trip. We were there the last week of February and made it back home on March 2 (we drove from Ontario, Canada). I can't actually believe how close of a call it was that we were able to go. It was my first trip since I was 10 years old, and my 5 year old's first trip. We stayed at Pop, we made it all the parks, it only rained for a bit on our Animal Kingdom day, which we were planning on it being a short day anyway, and the weather was otherwise beautiful. We had FPs for everything we wanted -- SDD, MFSR, TSM, FOP, Test Track. Our only massive mishap was our own mistake -- we purchased EMM at MK and were late for it, because we didn't understand the situation at the TTC and got lost, lol. I was so upset at the time, but now it's just a blip in an otherwise fantastic trip. We still managed to get on SDMT twice and PPF twice. We got the first boarding group for ROTR twice and my son got to be pilot twice (thanks in part in two women who graciously gave us their pilot cards). We went to Savi's, my son loved all the rides. It was a dream, really.

The only thing the pandemic has changed is 1) how grateful I am that we went when we went, and 2) that we don't seem to reminisce about it as much as I would have thought, because our minds are otherwise occupied. But I feel so, so bad for families who have had to cancel, especially those who were planning their first trip like us.

None of us got sick at all the entire time, which seemed like a miracle to me. I kept my son home an extra week beforehand to avoid it, which means he's basically missed half of his kindergarten year at this point. I will say that we stopped at a Chuck E Cheese in Wilkes-Barre, PA on the way home, and I think I caught some terrible form of bronchitis there, but not covid. I've been coughing ever since. Almost finally recovered!

We got back March 3 too. I can see your DH’s point as I’ve thought the same, but I’ve never said it out loud. We were were home for 3 days, then we had to take another unplanned trip for a family emergency. I took that Tuesday off, March 10 by that point, to do laundry, get groceries, and decompress. It was while getting groceries that I realized things were different...the stores were crazy and people were freaking out over tp, cleaning supplies, and dry and canned goods. We never got that post-Disney glow, so to speak. I feel extraordinary lucky we had the amazing trip that we did, don’t get me wrong. And I feel amazingly fortunate to be in the position we are in now (as long as I resist the urge to look at my 401k...ugh), but yeah...I get it.

Things will be more “normal” eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!