February 2014 Car Rental Deal Watch

PP is right, keep checking. I have checked several times this morning and the rates are bouncing all over the place. I ended up booking with my Wisconsin AAA code and got a Ford Mustang convertible for $43 less than I was going to pay for an SUV. Went from $303 to $260. Looked again 20 minutes later, and it was up by $27. But earlier this morning it was much higher. My hubby will be happy to have a convertible!

When I got my reservation confirmation via email, this is what is said (this coincides with what we did last year--we just brought change for the toll booths. Note Orlando is NOT on the list at the bottom.
------
Travelers Alert! Cashless Tolls
Throughout the country, there is a movement by many highway authorities to eliminate the ability to pay cash for tolls. These roads are called "Cashless Tolls" which means there is no ability to pay cash once you have entered onto these highways.

If your travels take you to a destination where these Cashless Tolls exist and you are renting one of our cars, you need to rent PlatePass® from Dollar or contact the applicable toll authority for other alternatives. For an all-inclusive price, PlatePass® covers the cost of the unit and the tolls you encounter.

If a toll is violated, customers will be responsible for toll costs as well as an administrative fee for every toll violation. Please ask for more information when you arrive at the counter.

List of Current Markets with Cashless Toll Highways:
Dallas, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Miami, Tampa

My Thrifty rental was $166.00 as of an hour ago.. Better than the $389.00 I had for the same car this morning. :cool1::cool1:

I"m thinking my rate is still so high because I want to pick up around 2pm on 2/22, which I imagine is prime time for people wanting cars....ugh! I'll keep hoping for something reasonable!

I checked Dollar city specials for mid president's week. Left the drop off pick up times to noon. Price was over $300. Changed to 6pm pick up (time I needed anyway), and price is $107 total for the week for a compact! Other classes just a bit more. So excited, thanks!! Actually I just decided to upgrade to a standard, and it was $109!

P.S. never rented with Dollar, do they have a kiosk or do you go to the counter?

That's great! Unfortunately, for me, the low rates don't apply to my dates, 2/14-2/21. If you check in online, using Dollar Express, you will can just go directly to the garage. There's a booth in the garage with a screen above it that shows you where your car is. You'll find your paperwork above the visor. Then, you'll just drive to the exit of the garage, show your license and your paperwork and you're off!

That's great! Unfortunately, for me, the low rates don't apply to my dates, 2/14-2/21. If you check in online, using Dollar Express, you will can just go directly to the garage. There's a booth in the garage with a screen above it that shows you where your car is. You'll find your paperwork above the visor. Then, you'll just drive to the exit of the garage, show your license and your paperwork and you're off!

Bummer! But thank you for the info on the kiosk!

I'm still hoping for a better deal than the $389 I got months ago for a minivan rental.

Anyone finding a last minute deal????

Still no moment in rates for THIS Sat .. what gives????

How far in advance do you usually do online check in? I'm thinking about leaving it until Friday just before I leave .... thoughts?

Yep, nothing. I'm leaving this Saturday too. Seems like Dollar has been dropping their rates Tuesday night into Wednesdays, so it would be great if we see a drop but I'm not holding my breath. Wondering if anyone has tried Priceline?

Also leaving this Saturday and it looks like we'll be cabbing it unless something dramatic happens in the next two days....oh well!

Keep checking because I got my Alamo rate to come down through Costco this morning. However, it didn't last long. I had a compact car reserved for five days next week at the rate of $272 (which is ridiculous) and this morning that same car came up at $196! Of course, I booked it. When I went back to see if it had changed again (just to be sure), it was back to $272. So, the reduction was short-lived, but I got lucky.

Good luck!

Well I think I will wait until tomorrow and then book my Mears reservation. I went to the Dollar site to check prices and it shows SOLD OUT for Orlando! I've never seen that before! Kinda scary how busy the airport is gonna be!

Thrifty says there are sold out, too!!! :scared1: That's insane! Our flight doesn't come in until 10 and all I can say is I sure hope our car is waiting there. I'm also really hoping all these people are going to the Daytona 500 and NOT planning on being in the parks!

We leave tomorrow and the prices have not moved.... crazy. My lowest price I reserved back in Sept

We leave tomorrow and the prices have not moved.... crazy. My lowest price I reserved back in Sept

We are here now and I checked 3 times a day before departing. We wound up using the reservation I booked in December.
Keep checking though, you never know!

I really think people are coming in for the Daytona 500 and that is the reason for the rentals being sold out. I'm not too worried about the parks being packed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have planned an impromptu vacation to Disney from 2/27 to 3/4.
Our flight gets in at 1am Thursday morning and because of the time we would like to do pickup and dropoff at airport. There are 5 of us (2 adults, 2 teens, and 1 child) so we need a car that will fit us all. best deal I have found so far is thru Kayak using EZ Rental for $287 for a full size. Seems a lot more than I had spent in the past.

Does anyone know of any way I can get this cheaper?

I am very concerned about the time we get in because our flight wont touchdown in FL until around 1am Thursday. My wife once had an issue with a delayed flight an the rental car company at the airport was closed even tho she reserved the car.

Any help would be great and if I hijacked this thread I apologize - but it is feb...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter