Feeling a little overwhelmed

erikacortes30

Earning My First Cruising Ears
My family will be taking our first Disney Cruise on the Fantacy in September. I have just recently joined this forum and am feeling a little overwhelmed because I feel unprepared/ unorganized. I, of course, being the Alpha female (OCD mom) am making sure my family has the best time possible. As much information as there is in these thread I would love to read every single one and write down the information. However, also being a fulltime nurse, mommy and student, I don't have time. We have a 5 years old boy and a 13 year old boy. What are some musts for these age groups. And maybe some musts for this overwhelmed mommy!:confused3

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who has suggestions!:woohoo:

Wondering about off shore excursions that are friendly for a 4 year old and a 13 year old.

Hi Erika!

I understand - your first DCL cruise can be overwhelming, definitely! More people would see your question if you post it in the main blog - I find that less people visit the Pre-Trip Report section.

Are you going on the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary? I have been on the Eastern once, visiting St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We had a wonderful time, and our DS12 had an awesome time in the Edge with the other 11-14 year-olds. Make sure your sons go to their clubs on the first evening right after dinner, so that they can meet new friends. It will make a HUGE difference to their experience and enjoyment level. And the more the kids are happier going to the clubs, the better time harried mommies have, and the more relaxed you are during your vacation.

Have you found your cruise group? They will probably have a Facebook page going, as well as posts in the Cruise Meets section of the main forum. The fish extender exchange is a lot of fun - but don't feel pressured to sign up. It might be just a LITTLE bit too much for your first cruise, and could tip you right over the edge. LOL! :rotfl2: We did not participate our first cruise, and I'm glad we didn't. Too many other things to think about.

Don't stress out over this - you cannot possibly have a bad time on a Disney Cruise, and don't overplan for your first time. You will never be able to do everything - and why would you want to? You've got to save some experiences for future cruises! The Fantasy is a magnificent ship, and the staff will do everything they can to make it magical.

If you enjoy alcoholic beverages, it will be fun to sign up for a tasting or two. See guest services (or your concierge team if applicable) right away after you board, so that you can sign up. On our first cruise, we didn't know about them, so missed out. For the number of drinks you typically get, around $15 is a real bargain.

If you have specific questions or want to share more about your plans so far (itinerary, etc.) - I can probably help more. I want you to have a fabulous time, and we're all here to help!

Thank you so so much! This really helped cause I was really feeling overwhelmed with the fish extender situation. I just might not do it. Thank you for sharing that you didn't do it the first time around. Makes me feel better if I don't!
Thanks a million!

Based on your signature I calculated you will be on the 9/6 Eastern on the Fantasy. That is a great Itinerary. It has 3 sea-days which give you lots of time to enjoy the ship and it has calls at St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay.

I will be a first time cruiser in 6 weeks and have read a lot of threads on these boards and the most important advice I found is : RELAX :cool1::cool1:

You will be cruising for fun and enjoyment, not for a stressy feeling that you have to do it all. You won't be able to. Just accept that and you will feel a lot better :banana:

Check your kids into the clubs. From what I read all kids love the clubs and don't want to leave there when it's time to go. Don't feel bad about this, that's what the clubs are for. Decide of you want to grant your 13 year old the privilege of checking himself out of the club or not, in which case he must be picked up by you.

You didn't write if you partner/husband/father of your kids will join in the cruise. If so you might consider an adults evening: check the kids in their club and head to Palo for some adults together time. With the wave-phones you will be informed by the councilors if anything is less then perfect for your kids. Palo should be reserved asap as they do sell out.
Also decide if you wish to do the main or second seating with dining. Main dining is early, so the kids will join the entire meal. Second seating offers the kids to be taken to the clubs half way through, giving the parental units time to enjoy late diner. You can do this any night you choose, but are free to choose not to use this service and have your kids stay with you.

Be prepared that the ship will be overwhelming and fun by itself. Enjoy this during the sea days. The pools, slides, view over the ocean and just some time to do nothing and just relax with the family. If you have a Veranda or a porthole room take some private time to enjoy the calming view of the ocean. If not, take some time to relax on deck with ocean view.

On port adventures: just check the list of DCL offered adventures and see if there is something you and your family will like and if it fits in your budget. I think for first timers it is relaxing to book these with Disney. When you are comfortable to do this on you own, you should try that on your next cruise.

The only thing you shouldn't do is: stress:scared1: as this will spoil the entire vacation.
Relax and you will have a great time, no matter what happens and what doesn't happen.
Happy sailing!

Thank you SillyInvestor! Yes my husband is coming with us! He wouldn't allow me to leave him behind! Yes my 13 year old is very responsible and I think letting him check in and out will be a stress reliever for me. Everyone talks about Palos we might have to book a dinner there! There is so much to do! Thanks for all the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter