Feeling discouraged in the time difference

I find flying redeye flights going east and early morning flights going west works the best for our family regarding jet lag. Redeye leaving HNL we usually get into MCO about 130pm. Go shopping and have an early dinner then asleep by 7pm or so. Wake up the next morning and have adjusted fine. Going westbound we take the 7 am flight out of MCO. Get into HNL about 4pm. Grab some dinner then fall asleep by 7pm which is 12am or 1am EST. At most in a couple days we are fine and back on hawaii time.

We took an early morning flight (from Central time zone) with a 2-hour layover in LAX so we could stretch our legs and use a restroom that wasn't moving 400 MPH; got in mid-afternoon and by the time we got the rental car, drove out to Ko Olina, we were ready for a quick meal and bed. (bedtime was about 8pm) We did just that. we were up early the next morning, but spent a fairly lazy day. We went and bought our groceries and explored Aulani. We also scheduled the luau that night to help ensure we stayed up to a decent hour. Then, the next day we slept in a little later. While we never slept past 7:30 or so on the trip, it wasn't a problem.

Ok, I am feeling better about the time change. Might try to stay three nights in Waikiki and then five nights at Aulani. I could care less about seeing Waikiki beach, but my husband is half of our 25 years together so gotta compromise, lol. But exploring the island is a priority.

So we went to Oahu in January. We are from the East Coast as well. What we decided to do was fly from our home in NC to San Francisco on an early am flight. We spent the day there out touring and then forced ourselves to stay up until 8pm PST. It wasn't easy but we managed. The next day we flew to Oahu and again stayed up until 8pm their time. We had rented a house so we spent that day just going to the store and exploring the beach near the home. We pretty much became acclimated the following day to the time difference. I didn't plan anything for out first full day there just in case we needed more time to deal with the time difference.
If you are interested in a tour of the island check out Hi5 tours. We used them and had a fantastic time.

So we went to Oahu in January. We are from the East Coast as well. What we decided to do was fly from our home in NC to San Francisco on an early am flight. We spent the day there out touring and then forced ourselves to stay up until 8pm PST. It wasn't easy but we managed. The next day we flew to Oahu and again stayed up until 8pm their time. We had rented a house so we spent that day just going to the store and exploring the beach near the home. We pretty much became acclimated the following day to the time difference. I didn't plan anything for out first full day there just in case we needed more time to deal with the time difference.
If you are interested in a tour of the island check out Hi5 tours. We used them and had a fantastic time.
I don't get a lot of responses advocating a flight from Cali and then to Hawaii, and that is fine. But no way could I stay on an airplane for ten hours, or at least I don't think I could.

Plus I want to take Hawaiian airlines to Hawaii. Do they even fly out of Atlanta?

I could care less about seeing Waikiki beach
You may be pleasantly surprised! Waikiki is quite a different area than anywhere else in Hawaii. A lively atmosphere, fun vibe. Great place to people watch. We didn't spend time on the beach there, but still enjoyed strolling the strip and dinners on the ocean. They also do fireworks on Friday evenings on the beach near Hilton Hawaiian Village.

But no way could I stay on an airplane for ten hours,
We flew from Atlanta and it was roughly 9 hours. I was concerned about the length of time as well, so I researched which airlines, flight numbers, and flight times had aircrafts that would be most conducive to keeping us comfortable. We booked standard coach on Delta's nonstop out of Atlanta and the flight was on an Airbus 300 and had a 2-4-2 seat configuration. This gave DH and I our own row. It also included free alcohol, hot meals, unlimited snacks and drinks, and each seat had its own seatback TV with hundreds of movies, TV shows, music, and games. The flight attendants all wore leis and had pillows in each seat. There was also a power outlet at the seat where I could plug in my own device. Having these luxuries, even in coach, really helped pass the time. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

Alternatively, rather than spending money on a hotel in California, you could use that money to upgrade to another level on the flight like Comfort+ or First Class, depending on which airline you fly.

Plus I want to take Hawaiian airlines to Hawaii. Do they even fly out of Atlanta?
I believe Hawaiian partners with JetBlue. So you'd fly JetBlue from Atlanta to JFK (most likely) and then connect on a Hawaiian Airlines flight to Honolulu. Since they're partnered, it would be seamless to you as if you're flying the whole way through on the same airline. They will still facilitate transferring luggage, etc.

Why Hawaiian Airlines? Coming from Atlanta, you'd be going backwards to JFK and I believe a JFK to HNL flight is longer than a ATL to HNL flight. As I'm sure you know, Delta's main hub is Atlanta and their nonstop flights would likely be the shortest time, unless you want one with a layover. Keep in mind that a layover makes the total travel time longer, even though it breaks up the flying time.

Last edited:

One thing to add as well is my husband may just have enough Sky Miles with Delta for a one way ticket to LA by next September. That would be sweet.

So, we usually fly to the West Coast, overnight, then fly the next morning to Hawaii. We reverse it on the way back. Last year we did the overnight in San Jose (got some of those great $199 rates) which was perfect to grab some In-N-Out burger and it gave a 2 hour time adjustment, so when we flew the next day, it's only 3 hours difference, not too bad. On the return, I'll echo what others have said, we did a 4-night stay at Disneyland and had a blast. That coming back East is worse than going out...

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great trip!

Make sure you read up on how Hawaiian handled the pandemic cancellations....I had heard so many good things about them, and thought I’d fly them next time too. But after seeing how they handled this, I’m almost certainly back to Delta.

Make sure you read up on how Hawaiian handled the pandemic cancellations....I had heard so many good things about them, and thought I’d fly them next time too. But after seeing how they handled this, I’m almost certainly back to Delta.
We went Southwest last year and are planning on taking them again next year. We had a great flight with them. Also, not paying for the bags is a nice extra as we always seem to go out to HI with 1 bag each, but come back with 2 (especially after the Swap Meet...)

Southwest, though usually requires an overnight on the West coast, though...

as I said, it’s the same as going to Europe in terms of the time difference. But easier because you’re flying west. I think you’ll be fine. I don’t think there’s anything special about Hawaiian airlines worth going out of your way and flying to JFK to take a flight. Delta will be perfect from Atlanta.

I don't get a lot of responses advocating a flight from Cali and then to Hawaii, and that is fine. But no way could I stay on an airplane for ten hours, or at least I don't think I could.
We tried that. Found that after doing a five-hour flight to California we were not at all happy about having to do it again. Rather just do it all in one shot.

We fly from Louisiana have done so on 3 trips to Aulani we have done adults New Orleans to Houston then non stop Honolulu flight in total 10 hrs. same route on return. No issues 7 days at Aulani. we arrived before 2 pm HST and did overnight on the return leg.

Next Trip this time with a 5 yr old and 3 yr old we did the NO to LA route two days in Disneyland and then on to HNL. Again overnight return trip. Kids had a blast at DL who am I kidding Adults, as well as there, are enough differences between WDW and DL to make it fun. Kids no issues. 7 days at Aulani

Most recent trip Feb 2020 Flights early AM NO to Chi, NS to HNL got there around 4 pm HST again had the darling grandsons 7 and 5 this time 7 days at Aulani. Return trip Overnight HNL - PHX - NO no issues.

You will have a blast, either way, you choose to do it direct flight or layover at DL plenty to do Grandsons love Aunties Beach House. They can't wait till our next trip to Aulani which occurs March 2022. We fell so much in love with Aulani we added it to our home resort list.

My 2 cents

We did Hawaiian last year (from California) and I was not impressed. The food was pretty bad but what really bothered me was I broke my leg and foot in Hawaii and decided to return home early. Trying to get someone on the phone who could give me options on changing my flight and what I would need to pay out of pocket was a nightmare. They told me I had to pay more for a bulkhead seat to give me room due to my injury which I did ($75) but when I got to the airport, they told me that I had to sit in the back as the bulkhead area would not be safe for me. They would not refund the $75. Then, when I got on the plane, I asked the flight attendant if I could have a blanket or pillow to support my broken leg/foot. I explained that I had just broken it and it was still painful. He said that they don't give out blankets or pillows anymore but that I could buy a blanket for $15. I would not go out of your way to fly them!

Hawaiian doesn’t fly from Atlanta, and I also had miserable flights with them a few years ago (in First Class which was a joke as it was their older planes so no lie flat seats).

If you’re flying from Atlanta, I’d only consider the nonstop on Delta.

We fly from the BWI area, and go every other year. Going that far, we never do less than two weeks. One week IMHO is just not long enough considering the travel time and time change. Since we’ve done it so many times, we adjust quickly (and don’t mind getting up early or going to bed early). We’ve done anywhere from one to 5 nights in Waikiki prior to Ko Olina (we own at the Marriott next to Aulani, which honestly we prefer due to the feeling of being much less crowded and larger villas).

It’s also worth looking into at least on your return getting Delta One. The lie flat seats make napping on the return red eye flight easier.

We went Southwest last year and are planning on taking them again next year. We had a great flight with them. Also, not paying for the bags is a nice extra as we always seem to go out to HI with 1 bag each, but come back with 2 (especially after the Swap Meet...)

I’m just not sure we can handle a 737 all the way. No seat back entertainment, right? Plus my son is 6’ now, with about 5’ of that in legs, so I’m not sure we’d enjoy it. I mean, I could read a book and be fine but the rest of my crew want movies all the way. We usually do fly SW because Delta is so high, but for the long hauls we go Delta.

And thanks to Covid, I now have my season ticket money refunded to use toward my next Hawaii trip! Grrr but I guess there’s that silver lining. Roll Tide!!

Hawaiian doesn’t fly from Atlanta, and I also had miserable flights with them a few years ago (in First Class which was a joke as it was their older planes so no lie flat seats).

If you’re flying from Atlanta, I’d only consider the nonstop on Delta.

We fly from the BWI area, and go every other year. Going that far, we never do less than two weeks. One week IMHO is just not long enough considering the travel time and time change. Since we’ve done it so many times, we adjust quickly (and don’t mind getting up early or going to bed early). We’ve done anywhere from one to 5 nights in Waikiki prior to Ko Olina (we own at the Marriott next to Aulani, which honestly we prefer due to the feeling of being much less crowded and larger villas).

It’s also worth looking into at least on your return getting Delta One. The lie flat seats make napping on the return red eye flight easier.

Surprised to hear negative reviews on Hawaiian. I’ve never flown it but I’ve always understood that it’s probably the best quality domestic airline in the US…

For people flying from the east coast, Southwest doesn't have many options with only one layover. If we were to fly Southwest from Buffalo, we'd have to layover in Baltimore, then layover in one of the west coast cities, then fly to HNL. Unfortunately, Southwest only seems to make sense if you live on the west coast or can find a flight that has one layover.

No seat back entertainment, right?
Correct. I believe its bring your own device. They allow you to connect your phone/laptop/iPad to a basic level of their wifi (no internet access), and offer a limited number of free TV channels and movies. I'd also question if there are power sources at the seats - I've not seen any on a Southwest plane, but not sure if they have newer ones that may go to Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts