Film

AnnR

Mouseketeer
Hi
I've seen lots of posts of people asking what type of film to bring. I just wanted to remind everyone that some of the new x-ray machines in airports will fog your film. It is recomended that you do NOT check your film with your luggage. This is especially true for higher speed films but it can happen to any speed. I lost some pictures taking my film through a security check in carry on luggage and it was 200 speed. I now buy film when I arrive and either have it developed there or mail it back.

This leads me to the question -does anyone know where I can buy Kodak film? Royal Gold is preferable. I usually can find it at Eckards Drug store -is there one near Disney World? I do not care for Fuji which, I believe lets out wal-mart. I don't want to pay the high prices at Disney. If all else fails I will mail it down to myself.

Thanks
Ann

I've always abeen leery about putting my film through the x-ray machines....I've never lost any pictures, but there's a first for everything.

I just bought my film at B&H Photo out of NYC - http://www.bhphotovideo.com. They have great prices on ANY type of film you would want. I guess you could have them ship it directly to FL if you want. The shipment came in pretty quick - I think within a week, but don't quote me on that.

I bought a lead film bag for traveling from LLBean for this coming trip. I plan on using it for my overseas trip in the fall.

I have mailed film back home [post 9/11] & not had any problems. However, I heard on one of these posts that the USPS x-ray machines can do a job on your film too...

Too much to think about when you just want that photo of you & Mickey to come out!

This is starting to worry me...should we just buy film there? Then develope it in WDW also? I'd try to chance it, but I'd be devistated if the WDW photos didn't come out! :(

Does the lead film bags really work? Pls. let us know.

Thanks!;)

If you have a car I would recommend buying film there and having it developed. There are photo labs in some of the stores nearby (Wal-mart, eckards). Film and developing are very expensive at WDW.

If you don't have a car, bring the film with you and mail it back to yourself. There is no problem with post office x-rays as far as I know. The film seems to get fogged when I take exposed rolls through the x-rays at the airports. The airport I am sure it has happened in is BWI. I have lost the last few pictures on a roll a couple of times.. Another option is to have security hand check your film put it in clear ziplock bags -out of the boxes and canisters. Unfortunately, the security people won't always allow this even though they are supposed to. You don't want to have to argue if there is a line of people behind you.

I'm not sure if the lead bags work in the U.S. I know of someone who used one in Europe but still had some of her film ruined.

Just be sure you never put any film in your check through baggage.

I sometimes use a variety of ways -develop some of the first pictures to check out the lab some I send homw and some I try to take with me -sometimes rewindind the film early or taking some pictures I wouldn't mind losing at the end of the roll (pictures of the hotel etc.) I guess you can probably tell I take LOTS of pictures. Photography is my hobby - I even have a small business selling my photographs.

Ann

We bought our film at home and it went through the carry on xray with no problems. We had our film developed at walgreens on SR-535. One hourdeveloping , while we had dinner at bennigans right next door. Our pictures came out great and I believe they had Kodak film there too. It cost less than $10 a roll to develop and we got doubles too.

That is good to know. I haven't had any trouble with unexposed film going through the x-ray only exposed and only in Baltimore. But I don't want to lose any once-in-a-lifetime pictures so I am glad to know there is a good lab nearby. Do you happen to know if they have matte finish?

Thanks,
Ann

Thanks
I didn't find out about the photo finishing on this link but I did discover that they carry the royal gold film that I like. That is very good to know in case I run out. I will call around when I get down there to find a convenient lab with matte finish. I am going to take the walgreens address and phone number with me.

Ann

We have taken 8 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL--4 of those trips post 9/11. I have always put my film in my luggage. We use 200 & 400 speed. We usually take about 45 rolls of film each trip.

And, I have never had any rolls of film that didn't turn out.

Next trip will be digital only.:bounce: :bounce:

I think its a good idea to develop at least one roll of film while you're on vacation. This way, you'll know your camera is working ... Sounds kind of silly, but I've heard of it happening before.

We bought our film in New Zealand and brought it WDW and back to cut costs. 16 of the 20 I have developed have a washed out look so please be weary. Most were 200 but we had 6 400s which we used for the Bucs/Rams game.

Film inside WDW is expensive so it would be best to stock on the way or between the airport and WDW. In the future we will definitely buy Stateside but I a bit weary about developing them there (more expense).

I will pack the file separately in the future and get the airport people to manual search next time. Its a shame too because photos from my 2000 trip came out so good!

The easiest way to get hand check on film.
Take them out of their boxes and little plastic containers.
Stick them all in a ziplock bag. The small bit of film sticking out is never used to take a picture, only to wind the film.
Hand the ziplock bag to the security person. This method makes it really easy for them to check.
Or, you could just go digital! That's what I do. However, be sure to clear your cards off and reformat them just to be sure.

If you are a pin collector, another benefit to having your film developed at WDW is that you get a free pin:
kodakpin.jpg

free pin I received in Aug for purchasing a multi-pack of film at WDW

kodakpin2.jpg

free pin I received in Nov for developing film at WDW--
(1 set of prints 25 exposures and 1 CD of the pictures cost approx $25.00)

-DC :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter