First Disney Cruise - Tipping?

Yes you can decrease it. Same process take your sheet to GS and ask to decrease it.

We had to do that on one sailing where the MDR service was just horrible and non existent. GS gave us no qualms other than to apologize for the poor service. Let me tell you on that cruise this was the longest GS lines I ever did see after the forms came out as one GS manager told me more than half the guests have an issue with the MDR teams this cruise- so they knew.

My comment card reflected this as well and they def read the cards and add to your profile because next sailing a few months later the first night all three from serving teal came by to let us know that we will get a much better service than last time (we didn’t say anything to this new crew) and at the end the dining room manager asked if service was back up to DCL standards or still needed work. So they know and keep track!
Did you ever bring up your poor MDR service to the head server? That's part of their job, to address issues and make sure you're getting good service. I'd have a hard time docking someone's tips without first trying to address it with either them or the head server.

Now, if you've mentioned your concerns and are still getting poor service? Then I think it's fair to dock tips if you want.

Did you ever bring up your poor MDR service to the head server? That's part of their job, to address issues and make sure you're getting good service. I'd have a hard time docking someone's tips without first trying to address it with either them or the head server.

Now, if you've mentioned your concerns and are still getting poor service? Then I think it's fair to dock tips if you want.
Yes yes and yes! First night told head server that service was not good gave specific examples of the issue and what we wanted. Which was to not be leaving the dining room after 7:45 when we got there at 5:35.

Next night service got even worse that we left at 7:45 without even letting them clear our plates and order dessert. Stopped at the desk and asked to speak to restaurant manager and head server and told them both. Third night not any better and no acknowledgement that the first two nights were bad! On this sailing lots of guests had issues with MDR service.

I'm not American so don't have a lot of experience when it comes to tipping, and every person I've asked for advice has given me a different opinion. Here's what has worked for me on DCL...

I don't carry US dollars as it's not my native currency so I've always tipped via the bills I've received (eg bars, Cove Cafe) or via guest services.

I've always had great service from the people doing my room. I know they are paid poorly so have increased the standard tip by 50% each time, plus left some washing detergent capsules (I'd read that they appreciate those).

I did the same 50% uplift for our main and assistant servers on our first two cruises as they were fantastic. On my third cruise the main server was reasonably attentive but the assistant changed a few times and they were OK (ish) but not great, so I gave the main server 25% extra and left the standard tip as it was for the assistant.

I've only ever given the head server the standard tip, as in my experience all they do is interrupt your meal and ask you questions when your mouth is full.

For the bar and cafe I generally round up the bill unless the extra is really small, in which case I round up and add a few extra dollars. I've found the staff in these places get to know you once you've been in a few times and if you've added to the standard tips they really look after you.

From memory I've added about 10% plus rounding to Palo and Remy bills.

I didn't know that you could do tips for any staff via guest services in the same way you do for your wait and room service staff. I would've done that for one of the bar staff in Azure on my last cruise had I known.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter