First New Years Eve

simonsjd

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone
We are DVC members from the UK and are coming to stay at BWV for our first NYE at DW. We have an eight year old daughter and arrive on 30th Dec. As 31st Dec is our first day we will have to have an afternoon nap (jet lag) to get through to midnight. If we book a PS at an Epcot restaurant will we be guaranteed entrance to Epcot at about 6pm. Another though is to stay on the Boardwalk. Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Simon

Not super sure what advice to give you, but you have a huge advantage staying at the BW. I recommend you go with your PS plan after a nap, they should be able to tell you if you can get in for sure that late. Last time we were there for NY, EPCOT being the largest was letting folks in late. You may be able to see the fireworks from your balcony or walk to the BW bridge and avoid the park completely. That way your 8 yo can sleep and I recommend getting up early NY day because MK will be dead until around 10 or 11, but if you have the next week there thats not a big deal I guess. Have fun.

Having a PS/ADR for a restaurant inside a park does not guarantee that you will be admitted if the park is at capacity.

However, as jade1 said, EPCOT can handle more people than any other park, so you would have a better chance of getting in there than the smaller parks.

IMHO, it would make sense to have a back up ADR/PS at one of the Boardwalk restaurants. Although not quite as special as being inside ECPOT standing around the WS lagoon, you can see the higher level fireworks from EPCOT from the Boardwalk.

Best wishes -

The weather will have a lot to do with how big the crowds get. But, being a Saturday night NYE I would expect folks driving in from all over Florida. I would go to the park in the morning and ask when you are leaving how things look for getting back in. Chances are you will be able to get into Epcot at some point. Even if you can't get back in at 6:00 p.m., the crowds may thin again by 9:00-10:00 p.m.

Do yourselves a favor -- toss a pair of gloves, a hat and some heavier layers into your luggage. You may not need them, but if a cold snap hits Orlando they are worth their weight in gold.

I have read that the parks close to everyone a lot during the Christmas-New Years Week. If you aren't in EPCOT early enough, they won't let you in no matter where you stay or what reservations you have.

I have never had difficulty getting into Epcot on NYE when staying at BW. I have often heard that the parks were closed, but when we went in via the International Gateway, we walked right in. It wasn't really worth it, though, since it was so crowded by people who were only there for the fireworks. They were rude and pushy, and pretty drunk already, so they were not the typical tourists. With an 8 year old, you should be aware that you may encounter those who began celebrating early in the day. :headache: :rockband:

I've got to tell ya, I'm not sure it will be worth it. It wouldn't be to me, I guess is what I should say. But then I don't handle jet lag AT ALL well, sadly enough. Personally, I would just do it low key because the fireworks are always great anyway. I can't handle the amazing crowds that New Years draw either though, so I should also say that too. I've heard that you can see the fireworks from the bridge to Epcot from BW. I would maybe eat at BW and then just stand on the bridge.

That's just my .02. I'll be there 1/1 staying at BW with my family. I hope you're having as much fun and excitment planning as I am!

Safe flight to you!

:goodvibes

Thanks for all the tips. We will be awake real early on the 31st so will hit a parks and then retire for a sleep at BWV. I think your advice is correct and we will make a PS on the Boardwalk and then try the park. If we can't get in or it is no good we can go back to the Boardwalk. Thank for the advice on drunks, hadn't though of that one. Will be bringing full winter gear as we made the typical British mistake of not the correct clothes on a pre Christmas trip 2 years ago. We nearly froze. I pulled on my shorts and t-shirt on the first morning to go to the Boardwalk Bakery and couldn't believe it when I hit outside. Amy my daughter insisted on swimming everyday as well "as we were in Florida!" Am bringing gloves this year.

On another note, what is the difference between an ADR and a PS?

Whether you enjoy NYE at Epcot will depend on the tolerance level of you and your 8 year old. Many years ago I ended up at Epcot with an 8 year old for New Years Eve. Had never been to WDW before and had no idea what I was in for! Anyway, the fireworks were absolutely awesome and yes, they are better seen from in the park.

Now, that being said, it will be VERY crowded. I mean can't-turn-around-because-there-are-so-many-people crowded. Thirty to forty five minutes in line to buy a Coke from a cart crowded. If you are tolerant of that sort of crush and inconvenience, the fireworks will be something to see. But, if you are tired, your child doesn't like jostling crowds, or you think you need to be able to actually sit down to see the show, then you might be better off waiting 'til the next night. It on't be quite as spectacular, but it is always wonderful.

We have gone to WDW the last three New Year's in a row. Our first trip was when our youngest was 9 and she loved it. Last year we were able to eat dinner at the Grand Floridian then walk into the MK in the evening. The year before we did the same at EPCOT. (The year before it poured with rain and you could do anyting you wanted). Not being able to get into the parks on New Year's Eve is just not the case. As long as you are staying on property, you should be fine with your plan.

HBC

simonsjd said:
...(snip)...On another note, what is the difference between an ADR and a PS?
No difference. Disney just decided to change the name. They said PS was confusing people, LOL!

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter