First Royal Caribbean cruise with kids

So the rooms we have come with free rock wall climbing. How do I book this? Is this something I can book ahead of the cruise or only on board? I don't see it listed anywhere on the cruise planner. I also called to confirm our room had the free soda package, but the lady said there's no where it would say and just directed me to the website where it lists the perks.

Rock climbing is free for everyone.

What pp means is that with the Boardwalk balcony you get a private session for your family. So maybe one wall is open for the public, but the second wall is booked for her family only.

@FSU Girl I'd ask this on CC. I feel like one of the posters there will have taken advantage of this perk.

I have another question. Are there phones in the rooms? I'm thinking it could be a good way for the kids to see if we are in the room. I know on other cruise lines there have been and you just dial the room number to call, do they have something like that?

I have another question. Are there phones in the rooms? I'm thinking it could be a good way for the kids to see if we are in the room. I know on other cruise lines there have been and you just dial the room number to call, do they have something like that?
Yep, phones are in rooms.

At times, I completely forget that they're there. One time my mother called me (we usually do 3-generation cruises with my parents, siblings and kids) and I basically did one of those "what the (bleep) is that" jumps. Took a couple of rings to realize that it was the in-room phone.

So I just booked the Harmony of the Seas over 4th of July week and it will be my first cruise taking kids and I'm a little lost and have lots of questions! The kids have sailed on Disney before so they aren't strangers to cruising, but it will be my first time taking kids on a cruise. It will be me, my Fiance, and his two daughters (ages 14 and 9) Here are some of my questions and thank you in advance for your help and guidance :)

I went on sister ship Oasis last week and hope this helps:
  • How do we stay in touch with the kids on the boat? The younger one will go to the kids club, but the older one probably won't and I want to make sure she's able to reach us whenever. On Disney they have an app where you can text one another without the internet, does Royal do something similar? My suggestion is for your older child and you to download a free app on their phone, like "Whatsapp" and get wifi for both phones. You can text, although there can be a lag, but at least something to keep in touch on the ship. Wifi on Oasis worked exceptionally well.
  • For the kids club, can we sign the kids up ahead of time or do we do it once we board the ship? You can signup at 3pm on the first day or anytime after for waivers and legal. After that, you can drop off child/ren whenever you want.
  • We were assigned My Time Dining and when I booked the guy on the phone said we would never wait more than 15 minutes. The last time I sailed on Royal (over five years ago) I had this and if we didn't make reservations we could end up waiting hours for a table. Is there a way to book times we'd like to eat now, or when we get on the ship? Or will we really not have to wait when we show up? That's something we didn't do. sorry. we had 5:30 seating.
  • I've never been on the huge ships Royal has, my last ship was Liberty of the Seas, which I thought was pretty huge at the time and I know Harmony is bigger. What's a good way not to get overwhelmed by the size? Get to know the ship as early as you can. My way to figure things out was to ask our stateroom attendant. He knew where everything was. By the 2nd or 3rd day, you'll figure out whether to go forward or aft, port side or starboard side.
  • We have two balcony rooms booked overlooking the Boardwalk, will these be noisy because they are so close? Should I change these to a different location on the ship? I booked the nonrefundable deposit, but he said I can cancel within 24 hours so I'm okay moving the rooms if this location isn't that great. It can get noisy during normal hours but I would say that I could see into those rooms from the Windjammer buffet at night, so be careful!
  • We've prebooked all the shows. When we get on the ship will there be something that has these all listed out or tickets for everything? Just want to make sure if there isn't I print out the itinerary.They scan the back of your seapass card with a reader at the front of the theater. They won't let you in unless it's within 15 minutes of show if you don't have reservations. Definitely reserve the shows and then don't show up if you change your plans.
  • Any other tips on things I might not have thought about? Don't miss the aqua show or the ice skating show.

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you this is really helpful! I'm really excited for the cruise. @jim o'reilly

I invited my future in-laws on the cruise as well and they just booked. Their room is in the very front and we are in the very back, but on the same floor. Do you think this could be an issue? When they booked it was the closest room they could find to ours.

There's a bit of walking involved, but it should be ok. Only other option is to see if there's something closer vertically.

There's a bit of walking involved, but it should be ok. Only other option is to see if there's something closer vertically.
I don't see the cruise listed anymore on their website so I'm thinking it's sold out? (never mind I found the cruise)

Question - There is a new sale going on today that says there's on board credit available. If I called Royal would they apply that to my account? Or would I have to cancel and rebook and then probably not get the rooms I have?

Question - There is a new sale going on today that says there's on board credit available. If I called Royal would they apply that to my account? Or would I have to cancel and rebook and then probably not get the rooms I have?

It depends on the sale. Some specify "For new bookings only" and some don't. I would give them a call anyway, but only if the price is better also. No matter what, they will reprice your cruise to whatever the price is today so the $100 may or may not actually be a deal. Either way, can't hurt to call and ask, you can always tell them no thanks.

As far as your in laws being far away, shouldn't be a major issue...its a walk for sure though!

walking from one end of the ship to other is about 10-15 minute walk. i didn't mind the walking because you will stuff yourself silly with all the food/drinks. i agree with the previous post, call royal and see if you can get the credit for your account

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter