First Thanksgiving meal of the season, tonight!

For almost 3 decades we've "been away" for Thanksgiving, either to my MIL's in Ohio or sharing T-giving dinner at our dear friends' home. While I love cooking and making the whole meal, I don't miss the mess and stress of producing a huge family feast on somewhat of a timeline. What I DO miss are the leftovers, which has always been my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. About 10 years ago, I started cooking a small Thanksgiving dinner here at home on Black Friday. No stress, house smells great, we only have the foods WE like, and... LEFTOVERS!!
This is exactly why I started making my own Thanksgiving dinner on Black Friday. The best part of a turkey dinner, IMHO, are the leftovers.

I just took out a frozen turkey breast for us to enjoy on Monday. I love all the fixings with turkey and that’s what we’ll have. It’s not a tradition, but something we have a few times a year.
It was as good as we hoped. Made a plate and brought to church. Microwavable meals are distributed to those who need them.

I just wanted to mention, our local Aldi's has Butterball turkeys ($1.29/lb), bone-in turkey breasts (with gravy packet) (1.49/lb), and boneless turkey breasts (with gravy packet) ($3.89/lb, I think). I bought the bone-in breast--I thought the boneless seemed pricey for having gravy with it. But, either might be a good choice for a smaller family, or someone craving turkey who didn't want the hassle of an entire bird. The boneless breasts were frozen, and looked to be ~3lb each.

I buy several turkeys during the season, because of the sales. Most of them I cook & strip, then freeze the meat for making things like soup and tetrazzini -- I really like turkey, and it's expensive most of the time. I've been known to just cut up the turkey and cook it in a stockpot when that's the purpose.

I buy several turkeys during the season, because of the sales. Most of them I cook & strip, then freeze the meat for making things like soup and tetrazzini -- I really like turkey, and it's expensive most of the time. I've been known to just cut up the turkey and cook it in a stockpot when that's the purpose.

I do that once or twice a season as well. Assuming I have room in my freezer that is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter