First time at DLP - Solo Trip!

stacy87

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

It's been a looooong time since I've been on here. My last trip to WDW was back in 2015! :sad2:

I have just booked to go to DLP in September for 3 nights. It will be my first time in DLP and my first time going solo! I'm super excited, and really look forward to planning my trip on here.

I plan to do 3 days in the parks and spend one day exploring Paris before returning home.

Any advice/tips for a first timer to DLP?

Where are you staying and do you have a dining plan? 3 days will give you plenty of time to enjoy all of the attractions and September won't be too busy. The Studios are a bit of a mess atm, but there are some very good rides so don't be put off. You'll be able to go at your own pace and have a great time!

Well, depends when in September. The run weekend 25-28SEP is most likely one of the busiest times of the year.

Where are you staying and do you have a dining plan? 3 days will give you plenty of time to enjoy all of the attractions and September won't be too busy. The Studios are a bit of a mess atm, but there are some very good rides so don't be put off. You'll be able to go at your own pace and have a great time!

I’m staying at one of their partner hotels - Hotel L’elysee Val D’Europe. As much as I would have loved to stay in one of the Disney hotels, my budget just wouldn’t stretch to that!
I haven’t gone for the dining plan yet, though I may add that.
The way my flights work out, I’ll have pretty much 4 full days, so I’m planning to spend one of those days exploring Paris, as I’ve never been before :)

I’m going at the beginning of September - after the French school holidays, so hopefully I’ve timed it right! :)

Personally I would not get a dining plan. We had one last year as it came free with our booking and we found it quite restrictive. The breakfast place was beyond awful and incredibly slow, after trying it once we had McDonald’s for breakfast.
We didn’t like the restaurants but perhaps we were just fussy eaters. The last day we had dinner at the New York / marvel hotel which was buffet I wish we had eaten there every day that was good
You need to do the maths to work out if what it costs is really what you would spend

In terms of rides, ratatouille, crush coaster & big thunder mountain get the biggest queues

have you checked prices for Santa Fe and Cheyenne onsite hotels? They are at the budget level and are usually around the same price as the offsite partner hotels.

Staying offsite really puts you at a disadvantage, as general opening is at 10 am but onsite can be in the parks from 8.30am.

I have been 3 times, 2 solo and 1 almost solo and have never done a dining plan. I'm the planner for a family trip in August 2021 and we have decided not to do the dining plan for that trip too.

The dining plan is only accepted in Disney owned restaurants, so you cant use it in places like King Ludwigs and Rainforest Cafe in Disney Village. Its really only economical for families with kids who eat in buffets and many people end up not using all their credits. It also limits your choices in the parks, both in places to eat and what you can in the various restaurants.

have you checked prices for Santa Fe and Cheyenne onsite hotels? They are at the budget level and are usually around the same price as the offsite partner hotels.

Staying offsite really puts you at a disadvantage, as general opening is at 10 am but onsite can be in the parks from 8.30am.

I did do quite a bit of shopping around before settling on the Hotel L’Elysee. I don’t mind the 10am opening times - it’s still a lot of time to get a lot done :)

I did do quite a bit of shopping around before settling on the Hotel L’Elysee. I don’t mind the 10am opening times - it’s still a lot of time to get a lot done :)
I haven't stayed there, but have popped inside and have family who stayed there and they liked it. You'll also be able to visit the shops at Val D'Europe! Early September should be fine, I can only go in school holidays so don't get to experience quieter times. The Lion King and Jungle Festival is on till Sept 13th so hopefully you'll be able to experience that. Enjoy planning and have a great time!

If I were you, I'd take two of those days to spend in Paris. Disneyland is quite small and can easily be done in 2 days. Anything beyond that I feel would be overkill especially on your own. You'll have much more fun and more to do in Paris and it's only a short train ride away. Sooo easy! You're going to love it, just remember to TRY to speak French and you'll get a LOT further with the locals. If you only do one thing....get a hot chocolate in Paris at Angelina. It's like a melted candy bar!!! Don't just grab it from the stand outside, go in and get a pastry and enjoy the beautiful restaurant...the Eiffel Tower is just across the park from the restaurant. I'm so jealous! I was just there in November but I fell in LOVE and can't wait to go back!

If I were you, I'd take two of those days to spend in Paris. Disneyland is quite small and can easily be done in 2 days. Anything beyond that I feel would be overkill especially on your own. You'll have much more fun and more to do in Paris and it's only a short train ride away. Sooo easy! You're going to love it, just remember to TRY to speak French and you'll get a LOT further with the locals. If you only do one thing....get a hot chocolate in Paris at Angelina. It's like a melted candy bar!!! Don't just grab it from the stand outside, go in and get a pastry and enjoy the beautiful restaurant...the Eiffel Tower is just across the park from the restaurant. I'm so jealous! I was just there in November but I fell in LOVE and can't wait to go back!

I really want to spend some time exploring Paris, so I definitely plan to do at least 1 day there! If I do 2, that would be even better. My brother's fiancée is now coming with me, so it's no longer a solo trip! I managed to get her added onto my reservation at Hotel L'Elysee :)

I recall some French from when I was at school, but I will definitely touch up on that before I go! Thanks for the tip re the hot chocolate - that sounds amazing!!

I haven't stayed there, but have popped inside and have family who stayed there and they liked it. You'll also be able to visit the shops at Val D'Europe! Early September should be fine, I can only go in school holidays so don't get to experience quieter times. The Lion King and Jungle Festival is on till Sept 13th so hopefully you'll be able to experience that. Enjoy planning and have a great time!

I haven't looked to see what shops there are - that will be part of my planning :)

I've been a few times when I go for the rugby and my advice is 2 days is perfect. 3 if it's midweek could be an overkill. Remember it's open til 1900 / 2000. You can also get in the park earlier but just not into the lands.

My advice for Paris is don't follow the crowds, be prepared for some yuck. (Yes I've seen people per in main street as well as human 💩 in the metro!)

A top app is citymapper for getting around!

For DLP head to back of park at start get Peter Pan done and get a BTM fast pass. Your want mutiple rides on BTM!

Remember fantasy land closes earlier for illuminations and make sure you hit the walk through attractions.

The biggest thing DLP is poor for is food service, it's so slow so eat outside the standard hours and take some snack bars in with you or your be waiting 45 minutes for a drink! Last tip.. take layers and most of all enjoy!

My advice for Paris is don't follow the crowds, be prepared for some yuck. (Yes I've seen people per in main street as well as human 💩 in the metro!)

A top app is citymapper for getting around!

For DLP head to back of park at start get Peter Pan done and get a BTM fast pass. Your want mutiple rides on BTM!

Remember fantasy land closes earlier for illuminations and make sure you hit the walk through attractions.

The biggest thing DLP is poor for is food service, it's so slow so eat outside the standard hours and take some snack bars in with you or your be waiting 45 minutes for a drink! Last tip.. take layers and most of all enjoy!

That is actually disgusting!! Hopefully we won't see anything like that! :(

I'll have a look at the citymapper app - that would be really helpful.

Is illuminations on at the same time each night, as I really want to see that! And do they have parades in DLP? I've never been to a parade, even when we went to WDW in Florida several years ago, so really would like to see some parade action too :)

That is actually disgusting!! Hopefully we won't see anything like that! :(

I'll have a look at the citymapper app - that would be really helpful.

Is illuminations on at the same time each night, as I really want to see that! And do they have parades in DLP? I've never been to a parade, even when we went to WDW in Florida several years ago, so really would like to see some parade action too :)

Illuminations is at park close... so check out queue-times.com/parks/4/calendar for the predicted crowd levels and park close times. Remember fantasy land slowly closes in the hour or two before illuminations and que lines around the park will too. Try and stand infront of a bin or railings for illuminations as everyone else is pointing the camera at the castle and watching it through the phone screen. - I make a point of not, there are amazing videos online of show and a phone cant do it justice... enjoy the moment. If you want a cool castle pic grab it at the end or start when they project a cool overlay onto the castle.

DLP is famous for its perades. They normally have 2... The main one which is down main street normally early afternoon. And depending on the season a perade/show that takes place around the hub. (this one is mutiple times in the day).

Food wise DLP is poor.... Learn your french numbers and Mcdonalds is just outside the park!

DLP is a problem child for food. Don't wait until you are starving to look for food as restaurants open and close at odd times, not open at all or that place you saw was open for lunch is not for dinner and vice versa. (this was an annoyance to me - can you tell :)) I'm hoping to try the Croque Monsieur at the deli on main street next time - I have heard it is pretty good.

Food ques at peak time take hours and before illuminations it's a joke! They could make triple the money if they had the brains and speed to sell hot drinks in the hour leading up to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter