First time character meal...need opinions

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
OK hard to believe but we've never done a character meal before.

At this point my DS (10 yrs) is pretty much over it and said he'd do it for his sister but doesn't care where we go. DD (8 yrs) is up for anything.

Let me preface this by saying DD is diabetic and we're planning on doing breakfasts in our room or at the resort for the most part (we'll have a fridge and a car so we can get what we need for breakfast and just kind of get it out of the way). So we'll be sticking with character dinner options.

I know there are as many opinions as there are DISers out there but I'd like to know what you recommend!

Thanks!
Karen
:wave2:

Your character dinner options are slim:

Chef Mickey's (Contemporary Resort - Mickey and Friends - Buffet)
Garden Grill (Epcot - Mickey and Friends - Family Style)
Crystal Palace (MK - Pooh and Friends - Buffet)
1900 Park Fare (Cinderella and Friends - Buffet)

(A lot of families choose to do a late breakfast. With eggs and bacon and sausage, there is plenty that isn't carb loaded on a breakfast buffet, and a late breakfast works for lunch. Something to consider if none of these options is appealing).

My recommendation is to choose based on three things:

1) Who you want to see - if Pooh doesn't interest you, Crystal Palace is less attractive (few people eat at these things for the food, which is acceptable, but you can get far better for the price if you don't have characters).

2) If you want to avoid buffets - I'm buffet-o-phobic - in part because I still travel with pre-schoolers and have yet to figure out how people manage to eat while constantly hopping up to get more grapes from the buffet for their four year old. With older kids, this isn't as much of an issue. Or alternatively, if you want to avoid plated or family style - some people feel the buffets offer a lot more choice - plus you aren't as dependant on the waitstaff to make sure you have enough of everything (a common complaint at Cinderella's breakfast).

3) Where you plan on being - If you are going to be in Epcot that day and want to see Illuminations, it doesn't make a lot of sense to head over to Chef Mickey's for dinner instead of eating at the Garden Grill. Most people do this the other way, they decide to do Chef Mickey's and do it on a MK or non-parks day - whatever works - but I'd recommend not traveling across all of WDW just to get to a character meal.

You also have Liberty Tree Tavern (family style) and Gulliver's Grill (Swan Resort, Buffet or menu).

I've only had character meals so far at 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace (but that was breakfast) and Liberty Tree.

Liberty Tree was very nice indeed. Good character time, decent food, very friendly service. 1900 Park Fare (also breakfast) was simply wonderful. In the evening, you get the whole royal deal, so to me, that's the way to go for DD, since your DS doesn't care.

DO tell them at WDW-Dine that your daughter is diabetic. They have a phenomenal reputation at Disney for working with special dietary needs and food allergies. They will give you the number of the restaurant to call directly about 7 days prior to your PS to speak to the chef, and he will make a particular point of having things on hand that make great and safe options for you. They will also work particularly closely with you to seat you more quickly in order for you to keep your daughter's mealtimes regular so her levels stay more constant.

Enjoy yourselves!!!

Kris

Why don't you try Chef Mickey's for dinner buffet? We don't eat much of a breakfast either, so we were going to do the same as you for our next trip, but with 2 small children, we figured we'd try the dinner there.

I really enjoyed the Garden Grill for lunch. The food options were relatively healthy and the way the restuarant is set up it doesn't feel crowded. The characters spent a great deal of time at our table eventhough we didn't have kids. I would highly recommend it.

Chef Mickey's, Chef Mickey's, Chef Mickeys.

Easy to get to, fun atmosphere (I would think even a 10 year old, although he may not admit it, would think it was cool), and decent food.

I would reallya void Chef Mickey's. First, the food is horrible. but more important, it seems that there is always a wait to get in, evn with PS'. Not a good choice with a diabetic.

1900 park Fare at the GF might be a better option, seldom a wait of more than a few minutes to be seated, and the food is very good.

Anne

We love the Cape May Character breakfast (it is now a tradition for our family)! We also enjoyed the Liberty Tree character dinner.::MinnieMo

My family loves the Liberty Tree Tavern. We also really enjoy Chef Mickey's and the Garden Grill. This Dec, we will try Crystal Palace (I heard mixed reviews). I was not at all impressed with 1900 Park Fare. Both the food and the character interaction were just OK.

Wherever you choose...enjoy!

Mike

1900 Park Faire is delicious. The best buffet food I've seen so far of all the dinner buffets we've eaten at. Wide variety of fresh foods. There were 4 adults and we all loved the meal. The characters were, Fairy Godmother, Cinderella, Prince Charming, the two mice, I think somone else, but I can't remember right now.

If you want atmosphere, you can't beat Chef Mickey for the fun party feel. 1900 Park Faire is very pretty and would be perfect for your DD, DS would probably like Chef Mickey better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter