First time considering a scooter....

Made it through an evening on an ecv in the rain. The bus driver that picked me up seemed grumpy about the ecv. Guy at night was much nicer. Controls decently compared to an electric wheelchair.

There are bus drivers out there that I think secretly dread dealing with mobility devices simply because they have had bad experiences with them. Some of them are quite heavy and cumbersome to get parked and tied down, and sometimes I think it's the ECV operator that has left them exhausted!

Regardless, I always try to be extra nice to those bus drivers, because I want them to know that not everyone who comes to WDW with a mobility device is going to ruin his day! 😄

Hope you are still having fun - rain or shine! 🙂

I can understand the uneasiness and anxiety about it. I have knee problems, a bad back, and bad feet. I can walk short distances and can stand for short times. I have really been debating getting a ECV because I have experienced being at an all day event feeling miserable. This will be different for me...7 days of parks and I know I will be in pain if I try walking and standing for 7 days. Looking at me you would wonder why would she be in a ECV? She can walk, she can stand, but it's the length of time and distance for me. I'm still debating whether to do an EVC because I'm worried about other people judgements. I also have a sense of pride too.

Honestly, the people you will meet are complete strangers, they haven't walked in your body, they have no clue. Additionally, you will never see them again, let them think what they will, if they are going to judge you for getting an ECV, they will judge anyway. If they see you at the end of the day where you are struggling, they will wonder why you didn't get an ECV and if you somehow inconvenience them by taking longer to get through security because you are struggling without an ECV, they will tell at you asking why you didn't (I have seen it happen) all without realizing they are the very people who kept you from getting the assistance you need because you were concerned about what they thought of you.

Honestly, get an ECV, I have found that about 50% of people don't care one way or the other, 40% try their best to do all they can to help if they see you struggling, 9% realize that they or a family member might actually benefit from such a device and the remaining 1% are the ones who take issue with it. That remaining 1%, whom you will never see again are not worth you being in pain over 7 days.

This is a lesson learned the hard way, so please take it from me, if you think you need an ECV, get one. If you are unsure if you need one or can use it, then be sure to rent from a company like Good Mobility that will refund unused days if you find it too difficult to use or is completely unneeded. Also make sure whatever company you rent from provides both damage and theft insurance as theft of ECVs has been on the rise sadly. Often times it is mistaking which one is theirs, but there is also theft that has been occuring, so best to be covered.

I can understand the uneasiness and anxiety about it. I have knee problems, a bad back, and bad feet. I can walk short distances and can stand for short times. I have really been debating getting a ECV because I have experienced being at an all day event feeling miserable. This will be different for me...7 days of parks and I know I will be in pain if I try walking and standing for 7 days. Looking at me you would wonder why would she be in a ECV? She can walk, she can stand, but it's the length of time and distance for me. I'm still debating whether to do an EVC because I'm worried about other people judgements. I also have a sense of pride too.

Use an ECV. No one is paying attention to you. I do not look like I need an ECV and I drove one around in all the parks as well as Disney Springs. The majority of people are oblivious to their surroundings and aren't going to notice you. You will experience this first hand when someone walks right in front of you while you're driving lol

Edit: stay away from the middle of Magic Kingdom when it's close to fireworks time as it is a pain trying to drive through the crowds that have decided to congregate in the paths in hopes that they can stay there to watch fireworks. I got stuck for a good 10 minutes before the cast members were able to get people to move.

Last edited:
I’m rather embarrassed. I’ll be solo in December and with a friend in January, and I’m struggling.

I have a neurological disease, uncommon, but similar to MS. I do not look disabled in any way, and can often walk at a quick clip. Unless.....I can’t. Today is bad, and my legs are burning and I’m stumbling. Yesterday, I could have walked a 10K.

My concerns are two-fold. First, the cost of renting for the 1.5 days I’ll be there. I don’t have much extra cash, and this is a big concern for me. Secondly, the whole “oh, God, here comes a person in a scooter” thing.

The last thing is more of a sadness- one of my joys has been wandering MK and Epcot, enjoying the sights and sounds and even smells. I think in a scooter that will totally change and I’ll be watching out for pedestrians in front of me instead of taking it all in.

I’m so sad.
Hi, As an experienced ECV user I can say that my joy of wandering WDW is so much higher than it has ever been. When I was younger - am 72 now - it was my feet that hurt so bad. In my 50's, it was my back. Now I can cross the parks multiple times - go wherever I want on a whim or for an ADR and never consider whether the pain and fatigue is worth going. I can have fun all day and not get tired or achy. I watch the people in the park who are obviously not enjoying themselves beccause they are so tired or are in pain and I just want to go up to them and tell them how much more they would enjoy themselves if they used an ECV.
Now I get a front row seat at parades and fireworks. I don't have to stand in long lines - I sit in them instead. I feel so free now to totally enjoy myself. Yes I could walk a whole day in the parks, but I sure could not do it two days in a row. And I would be slow and tired and watching the ground to be careful i don't stumble. so you are going to enjoy the trip so much more than before with an ECV!
Renting off site is based upon how many days you are there. My upcoming trip is going to cost me $28 per day because I will be there only 6 days. Considering the cost of WDW - this is a tiny amount given that I will really enjoy the trip rather than endure it.
In terms of traffic, my BEST advice to you - learned over many trips - is never stop moving. If you do, you will find people jumping in front of you all day. Don't speed through people but do keep moving slowly. Give people time to get out of your way. Little kids are the one exception - they have no awareness of where they are. In a crowd get behind some big guy with a stroller - he will clear the way and you can just follow him. Do ride on the sides of the walkway - you can go faster that way. I find I can go much faster than people just walking if I do that. Dont be afraid to use your horn. Because you are lower than the eyes of folks they won't see you coming up in back of them or to the side. Let them know you are there so they don't accidentally step to the side and suddenly be in front of you..
Have fun. Grieve your disease - but don't grieve that you can now have fun in the parks!

If you really want to enjoy WDW. Not have to feel “ I can do this ride its too far away ect” then get a scooter. I can walk, but if I walk the world after day one I would be done. Most of the time I park it and go on the line. Only used it to go from one place to another.
If you are staying at Disney. Then rent from a outside place. You can used it to get around the resort.
I normally let the BusDriver park it on the bus. Especially if there other people on the Bus. It’s a trick to park it.

I struggled a ton with these same feelings the first time I rented an ECV. I was also terrified I would crash into someone or something. For that fear, I went to Walmart a lot and practiced. And the good thing is, their carts are much harder to drive than any rental I have had.

For the sadness and embarrassment, I just focused on not making my kids worry about me. They get sad when they know I am in pain. I can fake it pretty well as most people with chronic pain do, but it breaks through my facade. Being able to control how much walking I did was the best way to avoid severe pain.

And yes, there are rude people. I too don’t “look” disabled. But I have a handicapped placard and have had comments from people. Same with some of the shows at WDW. Two main comments; “You don’t look disabled.” To which I say, Thank you. And “I wish, I could....go to the head of the line, sit while in line etc.“ To which I say, You can have the ECV if you take the incurable disease too.

But overall people are very kind. I had one funny encounter at Epcot. Two moms and their son in a wheelchair stroller, totally cut me off and I had to stop really fast. They were mortified. The one pushing was saying how they are always having people cut in front of them and just not see them and how could she do that. The other berating her partner about I can’t believe you just did that to someone else. We always are frustrated when it’s done to us. I calmed them down, we talked about how we all understood both sides of it, had a laugh and went on our way.

But overall people are very kind. I had one funny encounter at Epcot. Two moms and their son in a wheelchair stroller, totally cut me off and I had to stop really fast. They were mortified. The one pushing was saying how they are always having people cut in front of them and just not see them and how could she do that. The other berating her partner about I can’t believe you just did that to someone else. We always are frustrated when it’s done to us. I calmed them down, we talked about how we all understood both sides of it, had a laugh and went on our way.
As someone who always tries not to cut off others and gets cut off frequently as well, I can only imagine how they felt.

I agree and understand too. I have problems with my left knee and right hip. I also can walk short distances and can stand for a short time. My husband and daughter took turns pushing me in a wheelchair on the last trip. It helped so much. But this time my daughter can not come and my husband has heart issues, so I don't want him pushing me long distances. I also am considering an ECV, but was thinking of bringing my wheelchair to get to the parks, and then rent an ECV ...but I don't know what to do with my wheelchair if I take it into the park to rent an ECV. My biggest concern is also holding up the bus lines if I rent an ECV and not bring my wheelchair. I wish they had buses just for us! Good luck! I understand this dilemma.

Don't worry about holding up the bus with an ECV rental, it really doesn't take any longer than loading a wheelchair and most bus drivers will help you if you need it.

But if you do bring your wheelchair and rent an ECV at the parks, they will hold the chair for you.

Overall it is best to rent an ECV from an off-site company, much cheaper and the scooters are in much better condition than the in park rentals and the in park rentals are slowed down to a snail's pace.

Believe me, I have been there. It's not fun to admit you need help. In the end I was glad I rented though. There is no way I would have made it otherwise.

Don't worry about holding up the bus with an ECV rental, it really doesn't take any longer than loading a wheelchair and most bus drivers will help you if you need it.

But if you do bring your wheelchair and rent an ECV at the parks, they will hold the chair for you.

Overall it is best to rent an ECV from an off-site company, much cheaper and the scooters are in much better condition than the in park rentals and the in park rentals are slowed down to a snail's pace.

Thanks! (And yes, I am considering if I rent to use an off-site company) This is why I love this forum. Everyone is so encouraging and helpful! :)

Believe me, I have been there. It's not fun to admit you need help. In the end I was glad I rented though. There is no way I would have made it otherwise.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. You are so right! It is not fun to have to admit that you need help. I was embarrassed last trip when I had to cave and rent a wheelchair, but I don't regret it now. It made the trip so much better!

Thanks! (And yes, I am considering if I rent to use an off-site company) This is why I love this forum. Everyone is so encouraging and helpful! :)
I would definitely encourage you to do it and to rent offsite. It makes things SO much simpler. You don't have to worry about getting to the bus and from bus to gate if you are having a rough day, and you don't have to worry about not having a scooter when you get to the park. It really takes away a lot of stress.

I would definitely encourage you to do it and to rent offsite. It makes things SO much simpler. You don't have to worry about getting to the bus and from bus to gate if you are having a rough day, and you don't have to worry about not having a scooter when you get to the park. It really takes away a lot of stress.

True, and you mentioned something I hadn't thought about. The possibility of not having a scooter when you get to the park. I don't know if it's okay to mention rental places on this forum, but I've read a lot of good reviews about Buena Vista Scooter Rentals, which is the one that I will probably look into. Thanks again for your help. :)

True, and you mentioned something I hadn't thought about. The possibility of not having a scooter when you get to the park. I don't know if it's okay to mention rental places on this forum, but I've read a lot of good reviews about Buena Vista Scooter Rentals, which is the one that I will probably look into. Thanks again for your help. :)
I will get a lot of eye rolls for this, but I would strongly recommend looking into Gold Mobility.

Some Key Differences between Gold Mobility and Buena Vista:
  • Buena Vista has set times they drop off at at each resort, Gold Mobility meet you when you arrive (or at whatever time you prefer), just know that if you have a flight that arrives or leaves really early or really late (arrives before about 6 AM or leaves after about 10 PM), you may have to have them deliver at a different time with either company
  • Gold Mobility replaces their scooters every 6 months and they use only the extended/long range batteries, as a result the batteries last all day without the need to even bring the charger into the parks, although you can. Buena Vista scooters are a hit or miss on the batteries by all accounts I have been reading lately.
  • Gold Mobility provides the following accessories at no additional charge on most models: Fan, Cell Phone Holder, USB Ports, Cup Holder(s) and one additional accessory of your choice, such as: Sun Canopy, Walker Holder, Cane Holder, Oxygen Holder, etc. Buena Vista charges extra for each accessory (except the USB ports) and I am not sure if they even offer all of these accessories.
  • Gold Mobility has undercarriage lights and reflective safety strips that really make you much more visible, which helps a lot with fewer people running into you.....seriously, it makes a huge difference.
  • On the victory 10 model, Gold Mobility upgrades the seat to the Captains Chair, which is much more comfortable at no additional charge. Buena Vista charges extra for this.
  • Gold Mobility includes damage and theft insurance at no additional charge. Buena Vista charges extra for damage insurance and the last I checked, Buena Vista didn't even offer theft insurance
  • Gold Mobility has an average response time of an hour or less IF there ever is an issue and they will come into the parks to meet you, I cannot not attest to this as the only real issue I had was solved with instructions provided over the phone, which is obviously always the fastest and it was fine the rest of the trip. My personal experience with Buena Vista is if there is an issue, they expect you to get outside the park and they take days to get to you. Now please keep in mind this experience is from many years ago, but it stuck with me.
  • Gold Mobility has exceptional customer service that goes above and beyond.
  • And finally Gold Mobility is far cheaper at $180 for up to 7 days for the Victory 10 with each additional day being $10. They do also now offer shorter rentals at lower prices with fewer extras, but for that you will need to call them.
As you can tell, I am a fan of Gold Mobility over Buena Vista and I originally went with Gold Mobility simply because of price, but after doing so, I can honestly say I won't go with another company unless there is some really strange set of circumstances.

As you can tell, I am a fan of Gold Mobility over Buena Vista and I originally went with Gold Mobility simply because of price, but after doing so, I can honestly say I won't go with another company unless there is some really strange set of circumstances.

Thanks for you testimonial, Evita! Although I'm only staying three days for this trip, I'll read more about this company. Always nice to have another option to look into. :)

Yeah, like I said, they do offer shorter rentals now too, just give them a call, sometimes they are the best price for shorter rentals and sometimes not.

Thanks for you testimonial, Evita! Although I'm only staying three days for this trip, I'll read more about this company. Always nice to have another option to look into. :)
Since you're still actively responding to this thread I figured I'd add my encouragement. My mom rented a scooter for the first time this trip and it was 100% worth it. She was very hesitant at first, and wouldn't let me do it ahead of time. But after 3 hrs at Magic Kingdom on our arrival night, she realized she needed it. It still took some getting used to, and every now and then she had to remind herself not to be self conscious about it, but overall it made for a MUCH more enjoyable trip and she said I should go ahead and reserve one for August. There is just no way she could have enjoyed the parks without it and that's ok. I'd rather see her go and make the best of it than sit at home like my father who has tons of mobility issues, but won't consider a scooter so he doesn't go anywhere anymore.

I have to say we had a fantastic time dealing with Gold Mobility as well. I was a little skeptical at first because people on the boards seem to be almost too enthusiastic about them, but they were great, not sure how their prices will be on a short trip though. First off, they were able to me at the resort the same day I made the order, which was fantastic and at a time that fit my schedule. Both the person that dropped off the scooter and picked it up were so nice and friendly and very patient teaching my mom how to use it. I think that helped put her at ease about the process. We also used it for a full week, some days with all day use, and we never once had to charge the battery during the day. Now I haven't used any other companies to compare, but they definitely were great.

... I have to say we had a fantastic time dealing with Gold Mobility as well. I was a little skeptical at first because people on the boards seem to be almost too enthusiastic about them, but they were great, not sure how their prices will be on a short trip though. First off, they were able to me at the resort the same day I made the order, which was fantastic and at a time that fit my schedule. Both the person that dropped off the scooter and picked it up were so nice and friendly and very patient teaching my mom how to use it. I think that helped put her at ease about the process. We also used it for a full week, some days with all day use, and we never once had to charge the battery during the day. Now I haven't used any other companies to compare, but they definitely were great.

Thanks, SG! I love people sharing all their information like you just did. The more information, the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!