First Time @ Universal

daydreamer101

Earning My Ears
I’m in the earliest stages of planning a Disney trip for 2021–so early that I haven’t settled yet on dates, although right now I’m leaning towards fall for the 50th. (Think end of September / very beginning of October.) We’ll be staying at Disney, but I’m looking into doing a couple days at Universal so my lil sis can see the Harry Potter stuff. I’ve been to Disney plenty, but never bothered with Universal before.

Will a two day “park hopper” ticket be adequate? I was thinking of getting the express pass for one day—how does express pass work? Is it worth the price? I’ve had people suggest staying on-site for at least a night at Universal, either to get included express pass or to get early admission into Harry Potter (if they still do that), but I want to avoid the hassle of doing split stays.

Thanks! :)

A room for a single night at one of the three UOR hotels that gives the free Unlimited EPs for check in and check out days, is often cheaper than buying stand alone EPs. Think of it as buying EPs and getting a free room! Definitely price it out.

If just visiting UOR for two days/one night, we keep our WDW hotel room and just take a small bag over to UOR with just what we need for one night.
I have only visited UOR with EPs. You do not pre book them like FPs, so you can wander around with just a vague plan and it usually cuts the waiting time by about 75% if not more.

You can still book a room for the benefit of EP for 5 people registered in one room, but not use it.

Just check in to the hotel early am and you’d get the room keys for all registered in the room. Everyone doesn’t need to be there for that. That way you have EP for two full days. It usually works out fabulous value.

That time of year the hotels fill up quickly as HHN has started and is incredibly popular. On days where HHN is on the Studios close at 5pm, IOA however remains open later.

Have a read of threads on here, there‘s loads of info to be found reading up on hotels, parks and many other things.

The early admission into HP land is highly overrated. It's usually overcrowded, due to that being the only land in the park that's open...therefore everyone is crammed into it. Wait times are generally higher during EA than they are during the rest of the day.

I do wish Universal would open the entire park, instead of just the HP lands (plus Minion Mayhem on US ea days) during early admission.

We haven't been since Aventura opened, which I'm sure exacerbates the problem...and Endless Summer is opening in about a week. I cannot imagine what the lines during ea will be then.

The early admission into HP land is highly overrated. It's usually overcrowded, due to that being the only land in the park that's open...therefore everyone is crammed into it. Wait times are generally higher during EA than they are during the rest of the day.

I do wish Universal would open the entire park, instead of just the HP lands (plus Minion Mayhem on US ea days) during early admission.

We haven't been since Aventura opened, which I'm sure exacerbates the problem...and Endless Summer is opening in about a week. I cannot imagine what the lines during ea will be then.

Honestly I'm not super fond of early admission anyway--the last time I rope dropped a Disney park was 2011 LOL I'd much rather sleep in 😂

The ride wait times can be longer during EE but the overall number of people milling around, shopping, casting spells is a lot lower than when the masses arrive!

I’m in the earliest stages of planning a Disney trip for 2021–so early that I haven’t settled yet on dates, although right now I’m leaning towards fall for the 50th. (Think end of September / very beginning of October.) We’ll be staying at Disney, but I’m looking into doing a couple days at Universal so my lil sis can see the Harry Potter stuff. I’ve been to Disney plenty, but never bothered with Universal before.

Will a two day “park hopper” ticket be adequate? I was thinking of getting the express pass for one day—how does express pass work? Is it worth the price? I’ve had people suggest staying on-site for at least a night at Universal, either to get included express pass or to get early admission into Harry Potter (if they still do that), but I want to avoid the hassle of doing split stays.

Thanks! :)

Hey there! We plan on doing the same. Adult only trip at Disney from September 27-October 3rd. And then switch over October 4-8 for Universal/Islands of Adventure and do a last day at Seaworld. We plan on devoting 1 full day to Universal and 1 full day to Islands of Adventure. I think we'll skip the water park, Volcano Bay.

It's the only time that works for us next year. I'm impatiently waiting for Disney to release their packages for 2021.

Will a two day “park hopper” ticket be adequate?
IMO, yes. Especially if the main focus is the HP areas.

I was thinking of getting the express pass for one day—how does express pass work? Is it worth the price?
If you are purchasing EP, there are two kinds - the unlimited one, which is the most expensive, that allows you to ride all the EP rides as much as you want. There's also a cheaper one, which allows you to use the EP queue one time per ride. I believe if you want a 2 park EP, its a little more money, but I haven't bought it in a long time so don't quote me on that.

IMO, its very much worth the price especially with limited time there.

I’ve had people suggest staying on-site for at least a night at Universal, either to get included express pass or to get early admission into Harry Potter (if they still do that), but I want to avoid the hassle of doing split stays.
As others have mentioned, its very likely it may be cheaper to book a Universal deluxe resort in order to get two days of unlimited EPs for each person on the reservation. You'd have to price this out against the cost of purchasing unlimited EPs for both days for each person in your party. Make sure you are comparing the price of the unlimited EP, because that's what is included with your deluxe resort room.

Often, people have other lodging and choose not to actually stay in the room. Or just use the room for a mid-day break. So you don't have to do a split stay. It will still likely save you money versus paying for EPs. Of course, you'd save even more money if you didn't have a room at WDW that night and just stayed at the Universal resort. Universal deluxe resorts are awesome and are walking distance to the parks. Makes it very easy and convenient.

I agree with PPs that we do not take advantage of early entry. You don't need it with express pass. We often sleep in and tour the parks at our leisure. This is one of the benefits of EP. I would still recommend riding Hagrid's either early or late in the day, however.

We are also first timers planning a 2 night/3 day trip in December staying at a premier hotel. What’s the best strategy for tickets???? Should we get AP tix or regular ones? Is it better to buy a package? Our stay would not fall during blackout days. Thanks!

We are also first timers planning a 2 night/3 day trip in December staying at a premier hotel. What’s the best strategy for tickets???? Should we get AP tix or regular ones? Is it better to buy a package? Our stay would not fall during blackout days. Thanks!

Probably best for at least one of you to get a seasonal AP...assuming you're not going during a blackout period. Seasonal passes are about the same price as a 3 day, park-to-park ticket...and you'll get a significant discount on the room with a seasonal AP.

You can save on tickets with Undercover Tourist. If you want to upgrade at the hotel, you will be given a credit of the price UO charges towards your upgrade. Agree with DisBuckMan about getting an AP for one person. If you have any thoughts about returning within a year get an APs for everyone. You have until checkout to upgrade.
Packages are usually not a good deal. t's better to get room only.

2 days with park to park tickets should be adequate. I have always done 3 days adn the last day is just kind of catch all of any stuff we want to do one last time. I haven't been during that time of year yet but have always found the parks manageable, but EPs would help you get through stuff quicker and more easily. If you don't want to spend the money though and don't mind I'd suggest single rider line for many of the attractions. Have used them a lot and it can often cut your wait time drastically. Some do not move as well as others but often there are very few people in the lines. Have gone and had Spider-Man at a nearly 2 hour wait and been on in under 5 minutes with single rider. Fear Fall was usually a walk on as hardly anyone ever utilized the single rider line (it's hard to find honestly if don't know about it).

The one thing to keepin mind is that the studios park will likely be closing early each night for HHN so be sure to keep an eye on park times for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter