First Timer Solo Trip

PeteG

Earning My Ears
I'm in the very early stages of planning my first (Ever-I've never been to WDW before!) trip the second or third week of September. Looking for any advice I can get.

Lots of great ideas on this forum. Would 6 days be long enough to be able to experience all that each park has to offer? I want to go on the coasters and other attractions, maybe see a show. I don't plan on going to the waterparks or doing a sit down meal (unless there are some forum members that would like to meet up for a few hours or a day--I'm easy to get along with :) )

Basically, I just want to be able to stroll at my own pace, go on the rides, take a ton of pictures, people watch, maybe an evening in Disney Springs, and have some fun. Any advice, do's or don'ts is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'm in the very early stages of planning my first (Ever-I've never been to WDW before!) trip the second or third week of September. Looking for any advice I can get.

Lots of great ideas on this forum. Would 6 days be long enough to be able to experience all that each park has to offer? I want to go on the coasters and other attractions, maybe see a show. I don't plan on going to the waterparks or doing a sit down meal (unless there are some forum members that would like to meet up for a few hours or a day--I'm easy to get along with :) )

Basically, I just want to be able to stroll at my own pace, go on the rides, take a ton of pictures, people watch, maybe an evening in Disney Springs, and have some fun. Any advice, do's or don'ts is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Not even twice that many days would be “long enough to experience ALL that each park has to offer”. But that just means this will be the first of many Disney World trips. 6 days is a nice number to get to know the parks. You will want two days for Magic Kingdom for sure. Then maybe two days at Epcot, and one each at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Don’t try to do everything, just plan another visit real soon!

I would disagree with the above poster. Six days is plenty for a trip, and you would get the opportunity to take in the Halloween Party at MK and Food & Wine at Epcot. I would purchase a ticket for the Halloween party and do one additional day at MK, a single day at Hollywood Studios, two to three at Epcot(it takes at least two days to do the World Showcase, and Soarin is a must do). One or two at AK, depending on whether you prefer to do that or Epcot, but I would do at least one day at each park before any repeats. Also, there will be Eat to the Beat concerts as well.

6 days is s nice visit... is it enough to do/see it all.. nope but get your priorities set and hit those. Pix taking: gonna be AWEsome!
I have a strong suspicion you ll be taking advantage of the “bounce back” return visit offer, if ur staying onsite.
Have an Awesome Visit.

My first ever trip to WDW was a solo trip in September. I decided on 10 days and felt it wasn't enough. 6 days is a nice visit but not enough to experience all that each park has to offer.

I'll be there (solo) Sept 13 to 20. If you are there during any of those days we could get a meal - maybe at one of the restaurants that can be a little intimidating solo.

I also responded here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/planning-a-solo-trip-in-sept.3676202/

My first ever trip to WDW was a solo trip in September. I decided on 10 days and felt it wasn't enough. 6 days is a nice visit but not enough to experience all that each park has to offer.

I'll be there (solo) Sept 13 to 20. If you are there during any of those days we could get a meal - maybe at one of the restaurants that can be a little intimidating solo.

I also responded here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/planning-a-solo-trip-in-sept.3676202/

The unofficial plan is Sept 8-15, but that's subject to alot of variables that are beyond my control for the time being. If I can stick with that general time frame, I'd love to catch a sit down meal and get some more trip advice!

I’m a relative noob, but went a couple of years ago. The thing I learned on that trip that was helpful was to get a feel for how wait times change throughout the day for rides. Basically, wait times for some rides that are 10 or 20 minute at 9am can be 45 minute or 1.5 hours at noon. And it could be a walk on in the hour before the park closes. So, if you want to be able to ride things spontaneously and relatively quickly, those first few hours are your best shot.

I think it depends on your travel style. For me, I started out with seven, then tried 8 days - it was not enough so I'm doing 10 on this next trip. That said, I like a slow, relaxing pace. I like to hang out in lounges, have sit down meals and just breathe a bit. If you are more of a fast paced type, I'm sure you can do it in six. :) I quite like sit down meals solo and I love lounges - Nomad is my favourite, I've sat there for 2 hours before with drinks and snacks on a nice day. If you like the idea of a sit down meal but find a solo meal a bit intimating, I'd give nomad lounge a try. Especially a bit off of popular meals times, it can be quite empty on the porch. :)

You do what you can. You will get a good feel for the parks in 6 days. Figure out your priorities and set about getting to those and the rest is langniappe

ETA: ANd go ahead a book a nice ADR and treat yourself. Its not bad dining alone - no one will think anything of it. You deserve a break too

Manage your expectations. Perhaps secure the three fastpasses available to you and then wander, meander, savor all that is around you. People get so caught up in kamikaze touring that they rush past the slower, charming aspects of the day. I suspect you know this and will enjoy your time with a fine balance of seeing the attractions you most wish to experience and taking time to smell the proverbial roses. Have fun.

Six days is enough, but you really need to plan and think about what is a priority for you to see in each park. Waits for some rides, even with FP+, can be real time consumers. HS definitely 1 day only at this point; AK is a big place so just getting around takes time, but you could probably see everything worth seeing in a day especially since they have longer hours now; EP also a very big place--not that many rides of note IMO, but a lot to see and eat:D; MK has so many classic rides, that if you've never been before, you'll probably want to do just about everything--definitely 2 days. Have a great time on the big adventure!

I think six days is long enough for a solo first trip. Hopefully you will love WDW, but it isn’t for everyone and you wouldn’t want a longer stay if it isn’t working for you. You won’t be able to do everything in six days, but you will be able to do a lot with good planning. Be sure to take advantage of FP+ and familiarize yourself with the park layouts before you go.

You didn’t mention why you don’t want to do a sit down meal, but if it is because of self-consciousness (as it is with some solo travellers), I encourage you to reconsider. People will probably take no notice of you and you can read a book, play on your phone, or something along those lines to occupy your time. I find many of the counter service restaurants to be chaotic with the noise and searching for a table and prefer table service.

I think it is a great idea to take your time and soak in the atmosphere. I understand that you want to take a lot of pictures, but I suggest you not get too carried away. I have found myself so consumed with picture taking that I feel like I forget to have fun.

Happy planning!

I agree that 6 days is great for a first visit. It will give you a chance to find out what you like, what you love and what you can skip next time. I also highly encourage you to think about planning an ADR. If not for the food then for the air conditioning. I am a rope drop kind of girl an by the time lunch rolls around I am ready to sit down in the ac and relax. And BRG for lunch or The Plaza are not that much more for lunch then quick service places. For me having the time, space and cooler air is worth it. I have a reservation so I don't have to stand in line or hunt for a table.

Take your time and decide what you want to focus on. Are you getting a park hopper? I love having one. I plan all my fast passes and ADR so I am finished by 2 or 3. Back to my room to cool off and then check what has low wait times for my evening fun. Which shows do you want to see? All the fireworks are amazing, but do you want to see any of the sing-a-longs, or stunt shows or concerts. Just have a rough idea, be willing to be flexible. Keep in the back of your mind you won't have time to do it all. No matter how often I go, I always seem to miss something.

Make sure you know which rides have single rider lines and take advantage. No reason to waste a fast pass on Expedition Everest if the single rider line is usually 5 or 10 minutes.

You picked a good time to be there, Food and Wine is great (and another reason to Park hop, I jump over for the food and then head to fireworks elsewhere some days) and the MNSSHP is my favorite. It is the reason I like to go in Sept.

I would definitely agree with @srpresto about planning on a table service ADR for lunch. I'm a big fan of doing a longer sit down meal mid day when you want the time to recharge, and then grabbing quick service for dinner. This works especially well solo.

The big don't I would suggest, is don't plan down to the minute. Solo you are a lot more free to hop around. Use your fastpasses, show times, ADRs, ect, but let yourself be in the moment. If something cool grabs your attention, go check it out.

doing a sit down meal

Definitely don't need to do a sit down meal with the food and wine festival going on. That said, I usually do one sit down meal on solo trips. But yeah not for everybody.

If you are staying onsite then by all means use early extra mornings at the parks. Then, schedule your 3 FP+ starting about a half hour after regular park opening. Make sure you get to the back of the parks by the time the park opens to the general public. When you get done with your three FP+ you can start getting a fourth, fifth and so forth. If you are onsite or at Disney Springs resorts you will get a 60 day window to make your FPs; otherwise, you will only get 30 days.

I'm partial to Epcot especially since you are going during the Food and Wine Festival. World Showcase is my favorite place for live entertainment. This park is a must two days.

If you can do the MK Halloween party on your arrival day that's a perfect way using your time that first night. Don't miss the party even if you have to pay for the extra ticket to go. If it's your first night you won't have to get a park ticket that day. Party guests normally get to go to the park early like 4 pm even if the party starts at 7 pm.

Tier 1 attractions will be where you need to make some choices if you plan only one day at those parks.

Don't forget about extra magic late hours. You can get two extra hours at a park.

I think it depends on your travel style. For me, I started out with seven, then tried 8 days - it was not enough so I'm doing 10 on this next trip. That said, I like a slow, relaxing pace. I like to hang out in lounges, have sit down meals and just breathe a bit. If you are more of a fast paced type, I'm sure you can do it in six. :) I quite like sit down meals solo and I love lounges - Nomad is my favourite, I've sat there for 2 hours before with drinks and snacks on a nice day. If you like the idea of a sit down meal but find a solo meal a bit intimating, I'd give nomad lounge a try. Especially a bit off of popular meals times, it can be quite empty on the porch. :)
You've intrigued me! Im going to give Nomad Lounge a try on my next solo trip. I keep hearing good things about it, so naturally im curious now.

I am doing my 4th straight solo trip this September. If you want to do something, do it. No one is going to care if you are doing it solo. So if you see Chip and Dale and want a picture with them do it. You give your camera to a CM and they will take a picture. Don’t be afraid of sit down restaurants. There much more variety with the sit down restaurants than the quick services ones. Although Epcot and Animal Kingdom have some pretty good quick service ones.

So I am thinking of going solo in October. Only gone with husband and children in the past. What would be the must do solo dining experiences? Feel nervous (and a little guilty leaving kids at home) but excited to go just for me!

Kinda sad Pete hasn't been back since his first post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter