First trip after spinal fusion (plus a walking boot)

Iheartdopey10

Earning My Ears
I'll be going to DW next month and I will be 7 months post surgery. I had my L4-L5 fused, and have had some issues with my recovery due to foot problems preventing me from walking much. I still get sore and tired when I'm out and about all day, so I've rented an ECV to get around. I'm also seeing a foot Dr. who put me in a walking boot for tendon issues. Will I have any issues with rides? I do all the rides except RRC and SpaceMtn, but will I have issues with others like Dinosaur, FoP, Big Thunder, etc?

Thank you for your help!

How are you with steps? Do you think you will have a problem getting out of low boats/cars? Sometimes there's no problem waiting in line, loading up and riding - but you have to be able to get back out of a low vehicle.

I had trouble getting into the Safari truck as I could not negotiate the step up. I was in the ECV/WC line, but when I was told to park and go load up on the truck I should have told them that I could not step up and asked to use the ramp for WC users. If I did it today I'd probably transfer to a WC and stay in it. But it's a very rough ride so maybe it's not for you right now.

I haven't ridden FoP yet. But from what I've read I think you would need to be able to remove the boot to ride.

I had a cervical fusion 4 months before my last trip. The ride that suprisedcme was Test Track. I didn’t remember it being so jerky. I had to hold the head rest to stabilize my neck.

If you have any weakness in your legs (especially below the knee) you will want to have a "helper" to get back up out of the boat rides (Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Small World come immediately to mind as well as Frozen, and Navi River) as the bench seats can be kind of low and/or there are step overs to get in and out of the boats. The solution here is to use the attraction wheelchair and wait for the corresponding boat to arrive. Navi River and Frozen don't have an HA boat at this time.

I have all kinds of stuff happening below L4, down through the SI joints, so I tend to avoid roller coasters, and any rides where you tend to slide around, or get thrown side to side are on my "no go" list now as well. Sadly, it doesn't leave a lot, as far as rides go - and my most excellent, all time favorite - Toy Story Midway Mania - is now officially off limits for me as well. :(

So, I focus on shows and attractions and experiences. And dining, and shopping - retail therapy is particularly effective for me at Disney Springs! :)

If you have any question about how a ride "behaves", you can often find YouTube videos (BigFatPanda has lots of good ride videos) that will show the ride, and typically some of the loading/unloading and the ride vehicle as well.

For FoP, there's a test seat just outside the entrance, and I'd highly recommend trying that first to see if your back can handle the position (bent over, similar to a motorcycle). The ride itself is smooth.

I'll have my 16 year old to help me get in and out of rides, but I'm still in what the Dr. referred to as "the pre-fusion state". Which makes me worry about doing too much too son. I think I'll have to avoid any of the big stuff and stick to the slower rides for now.

I'd stick to the slow stuff, even 7 months out. Especially if you're still getting sore/tired when you're out all day. I'm 2 months post L5-S1 discectomy and my back hurts just hearing "Big Thunder Mountain".

Glad you're on the mend though!

Notoriously bumpy/jerky rides: Dinosaur (I won't even go on it any more), Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain (there are so many "smooth" coasters now, you tend to forget the jerkiness of of the old chain ones), and the Safari. The Safari is not quite as bad if you are up front, but the back can actually launch you out of your seat.

I agree with everything said and I'll add from the "been there, done that" file-- WDW is a walking boot is no fun, rent an ECV from an off sire vendor! I had great experiences with Walker Mobility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!